Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Texas in the 90's

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

@methodwriter85 mentioning that one movie, reminded me of the others featuring teen stars, as they transitioned into TV movies. This was one that I remember watching:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109847/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_45

Wasn't there also a "based on a true story" one about a mother of cheerleader, who hired a hit man to kill the head cheerleader? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107861/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_48

(I can't tag people anymore.)

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Alrighty people...Pictures from my 1994 yearbook for your entertainment. Mid-90's small town mall fashion at its finest. That's me at the bottom
 I was NO Kate Wallis. I was barely a Jeanette pre-glow up.

90s.thumb.jpg.2c452a9cfd6a8795d4a999c6a0619e2a.jpg

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Alrighty people...Pictures from my 1994 yearbook for your entertainment. Mid-90's small town mall fashion at its finest. That's me at the bottom
 I was NO Kate Wallis. I was barely a Jeanette pre-glow up.

90s.thumb.jpg.2c452a9cfd6a8795d4a999c6a0619e2a.jpg

That looks incredibly like my 1994 yearbook! Mine would be middle school, not high school, but still eerily similar. I guess malls were the same everywhere.

I was Jeanette pre-makeover too. Except with straight hair, as my hair is incapable of curling.

• Love 2

My experience is Arkansas in the 90s, not Texas, but...close enough. I was ready to call BS on 'you go girl' being a thing back then - but my research tells me it can be traced to Martin Lawrence's show. If I ever knew that my middle-aged brain buried it - so as for You Go Girl merch making its way onto the necks of these girls, I'll allow it (although I definitely think I never saw it with my own eyes). Similarly, the way they throw around the term 'safe space/s' on this show feels like using a term that is popular and recognizable now and pretending like people in Texas in the 90s invented it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Constant Viewer said:

I like how there's already a Whataburger reference in the 2nd episode.

I caught that too. I'm originally from AZ and grew up with Whataburger.  I still remember the joy I felt the first time, after moving to California, I had to travel to TX and saw that wonderful orange 70s looking "W" up in the sky. Better believe I stopped for fries and a chicken sandwich with extra mustard.  (I didn't eat red meat as a teen and lived on those chicken sandwiches.)

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

Just started this show today... Was excited to see Vista Ridge mall... Or I'm sorry... Music City Mall 😩. One of the last few standing malls of my childhood, which is somewhat hanging on..and I use somewhat loosely. Looking forward to seeing Traders Village as well.

My main gripe so far would be that some of the references from 93/94 seem more appropriate for 95/96, but hey... not too far off I suppose. 

Those yearbook pics... I had to zoom in to make sure they weren't from my school! Thanks for sharing!

I'm always excited to see anything filmed where I grew up, especially depicted in the same era, so points for that regardless. 

Last year we had a lot of conversation about Freeform (formerly ABC Family) and the 700 Club (as well as the delightfully snarky way Freeform complied with they obligation to show it).  So I figured I would just mention that Pat Robertson has passed away.  I'm a little surprised since I thought he was already dead. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1