Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Stigma

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, transitfan said:

I noticed when I tuned in last night.  Oh well, it was nice to see Stephanie Sigman again, I miss her.

I miss her too. I believe the episode (based on TheFutonCritic listing) they aired last night was when Chris and Stephanie Sigman's Jessica Cortez went undercover in Mexico. That was Cortez's best moment, in my opinion.

• Love 2

This episode wasn't too bad, mainly because I was not quite sure how it would end. The discussions with the therapist made it seem that Buck had committed suicide, but I thought that they might be able to save him in the end and they would be sad about their friend needing help and no one noticing. There was a little suspense. The part near the end when Deacon confessed about wanting to commit suicide last year was very well done. Jay Harrington knocked it out of the park in that scene. 

I also liked the way that they didn't totally abandon the job (meaning letting another squad handle things) in order to save their friend. They did what they could, but understood that the job had to come first. 

• Love 1

Powerful episode with a powerful subject matter in suicide. I like that everybody had a point of view and that they left it ambiguous throughout the episode whether or not they were able to help Buck. 

• Love 1

letter-c.png

"Sorry guys." -BANG-

Raise your hand if you were like me and expected Buck to shoot himself dead right in front of all his mates right then and there. I actually said those words as the dramatic moment appeared to hit, only for Buck to decide against it in what was an equally shocking swerve.

One that, if I'm being honest, was not particularly satisfying.

I mean, I don't mean to make light of Buck's situation or that a family- including a baby- were riddled with bullets.

...and I certainly don't wish to minimize the importance of the SWAT team or the police in general in getting the professional help they need.

Mental health is no joke.

The problem I have is that they built this "very special episode", one that is, potentially, "game changing" only for the producers to hit the "swerve" button to give us an episode that doesn't really change anything at all.

One, let's start with the obvious. This shouldn't have been the first time any of the SWAT members saw a dead baby, nor would it have been the second or even the third. No less disgusting, sure, but I'm not sure why the team needed therapy after seeing a tragedy they've seen many times before.

(Case in point- the team didn't go into therapy after the school shooting, which should have been just as traumatizing)

Secondly, while the episode was great at exploring the stigmas the police face in getting professional help (i.e., they're "weak" if they need counselling), this wasn't the first time in the series Buck went AWOL and the team was concerned about him. They didn't need to go into therapy then- why go through it now?

If this was about *Buck* needing therapy, wouldn't it have been better if the flashbacks were the team talking to *Buck's* psychiatrist, not the LAPD's?

Continuing with Buck, I feel the story of him feeling depressed and being pushed to the edge is getting exhausting. Sure, it's a "real" story...but there comes a point where it just drags and it feels like it's "too much". It felt nice that Buck seemed to be recovering and getting his life back together...I think that would have been a nicer story about perserverance than punching him in the (metaphorical) gut again just so the producers could have their "Very Special Episode".

I think if I had a chance to re-do the episode I would have had Buck initiate the hostage situation at the bank, knowing full well that SWAT would be called in. Buck would do everything he could- short of actual murder- to get himself killed, because that would be his goal, with the team realizing it and doing all they can to stop him from doing so.

*Then* all the counselling and the brooding would be worth it, since the team wouldn't just be trying to get past what was a trying time for themselves but they'd also be helping Buck get out of criminal charges as well.

I mean, if they're going to have a "wham" episode...then make the story a real "wham".

Not something that could have been a regular episode with some overdramatic elements thrown in.

• Love 1

I thought it was a good episode.  It allowed the team members to explore their own insecurities.   I say it was a good episode even though I have never cared for or about Buck.  Its’ not the actor, it’s the character.