Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ohjoy

S01.E05: Episode 5

Recommended Posts

Kenton pays Jamie a visit to guarantee his silence, while Katie covertly exploits the Devs system for her own ends.

Share this post


Link to post

I get that they are going for some kind of atmospheric Koyaanisqatsi vibe but the effect is becoming genuinely annoying.  And pretentious.  5 episodes in and I'm still not sure how I feel about this show.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Maurina said:

I'm still not sure how I feel about this show.

Me too.  Kenton and Forest seem to have no qualms about permanently getting rid of those who could potentially danger their cause/project/whatever the hell is going on, so spare Jamie and Lily?  I understand they are likely supposed to be the heroes of the story, but it doesn't make sense within what has been shown so far.

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish or why.  It's really undercutting my enjoyment haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I found a couple interviews in which Alex Garland talks specifically about this show but so many more of him discussing Ex Machina.  My impression is that he becomes intrigued by a topic (quantum computing and the multiverse for this show), reads about it as much as possible, then uses all that he's learned as a stepping off point for a narrative.  It seemed to me that he's more interested in generating a discussion than trying to accomplish anything.  He talks about how most of his films are financial failures, and he didn't seem too bothered by it.  

This episode disappointed me as I was watching it, as I was hoping we were going to get some forward plot movement and it ended up feeling like more of a flashback episode.   But after going back and watching a few scenes, I appreciated it more than during that first viewing.  

At the lecture, Katie is pissed at the lecturer for leaving out the Everett interpretation, which is the multi-verse theory that Forest is opposed to.  It made me wonder if Katie really has no respect for Forest and his one-world/deterministic belief system, and that most of the episode was her using his quantum computer to validate her belief in the multi-verse.

Loved Forest walking down the street as all of the other possibilities for the car accident played out.  It was fascinating to see how a catastrophe exists only a split second away.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I found a couple interviews in which Alex Garland talks specifically about this show but so many more of him discussing Ex Machina.  My impression is that he becomes intrigued by a topic (quantum computing and the multiverse for this show), reads about it as much as possible, then uses all that he's learned as a stepping off point for a narrative.  It seemed to me that he's more interested in generating a discussion than trying to accomplish anything.  He talks about how most of his films are financial failures, and he didn't seem too bothered by it.  

This episode disappointed me as I was watching it, as I was hoping we were going to get some forward plot movement and it ended up feeling like more of a flashback episode.   But after going back and watching a few scenes, I appreciated it more than during that first viewing.  

At the lecture, Katie is pissed at the lecturer for leaving out the Everett interpretation, which is the multi-verse theory that Forest is opposed to.  It made me wonder if Katie really has no respect for Forest and his one-world/deterministic belief system, and that most of the episode was her using his quantum computer to validate her belief in the multi-verse.

I thought it was interesting that on not one but 2 shows that aired just this week there was a scene with many, many Alison Pills (Devs and Star Trek: Picard) on screen at the same time.

Lily seems to be some sort of linchpin in the multi-verse timelines, as for some reason they don't want to kill her just to get rid of her.

I thought it was odd in that scene with Kenton, Forest and Katie that Kenton stated that he had never met Katie before because he asked who she was (of course we don't know when that scene fell in the timeline because these were all scenes Katie was viewing, or maybe it was from one of the other multiverses).  I also found it strange when Kenton mentioned that he had killed one guy and wasn't going to jail -- when in fact he has killed at least 2 guys that we know of (Sergei and the Sergei's Russian contact).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I thought it was odd in that scene with Kenton, Forest and Katie that Kenton stated that he had never met Katie before because he asked who she was (of course we don't know when that scene fell in the timeline because these were all scenes Katie was viewing, or maybe it was from one of the other multiverses). 

When Kenton asks Katie if they've met, she had just told him that he can't kill Lily and he's sarcastically referring to her watching him suffocate Sergei with the bag over his head.  

Quote

I also found it strange when Kenton mentioned that he had killed one guy and wasn't going to jail -- when in fact he has killed at least 2 guys that we know of (Sergei and the Sergei's Russian contact).

Yes, I also noticed that he left out killing Anton, or whatever his name really was.  Hard to say if that will be significant later, or not.  My feeling is that the show won't tie up every thread by the end. 

15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I thought it was interesting that on not one but 2 shows that aired just this week there was a scene with many, many Alison Pills (Devs and Star Trek: Picard) on screen at the same time.

Is Alison Pill a major character on Picard?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Is Alison Pill a major character on Picard?

She has about the same amount of screen time on Devs and ST: Picard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size