Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Rock Star

ohjoy

While preparing students for the school's show choir, Lainey realizes Wilma might be a better singer than her and gets competitive; Coach Mellor and Aunt Julie fight over how to parent Toby.

Thought this would have more posts with quarantine!

Lainey is an immature jerk, like every "protagonist" from The Goldbergs. She acted 14 the entire episode. I don't know why Wilma would waste her time continuing a friendship with someone who acts like a(n underclassman) student.

Mellor/Aunt Julie/Toby is consistently delightful, even if it's the same plot recycled a dozen times.

• Love 6

"Lainey realizes Wilma might be a better singer"

Might be? Um, I don't think there is any doubt. Though I am biased as Wilma is becoming one of my favorite things about this show. 

This was a Mellor heavy ep so I enjoyed it very much. 😉

• Love 4
On 3/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I don't know why Wilma would waste her time continuing a friendship with someone who acts like a(n underclassman) student.

Nice that she was forgiving though.  I thought the Lainey/Wilma storyline was mostly annoying.  Thought it was funny that CB wanted to do the play "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown".  Personally, I thought it was a good choice - I like the song "Happiness" from it. 

Funny no mention at all of the CB/Lainey "relationship".  Last we heard of it, Lainey had said something about making up her mind and she was watching CB in the classroom.  Maybe they've decided to leave Lainey with Barry and drop the whole thing?

Liked the Mellor/Aunt Julie stuff.  I had to side with Mellor though, he needs a man's influence in learning how to defend himself, and you can't protect him from every little thing.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

I had to side with Mellor though, he needs a man's influence in learning how to defend himself, and you can't protect him from every little thing.

Same. I never got the impression Mellor was teaching Toby to be a fighter, like go out and start fights, or join the boxing team or something, he was teaching a relatively small boy who is an easy target for bullies how to defend himself rather than get the crap beat out of him or hide inside. I get Julie's wanting to protect Toby but it is better to teach him to stand up for himself than hide him from bullies forever. I know this from experience. I took the hide from them option and regret it very much. 

• Love 3

I could watch a whole episode of Mellor explaining the Civil War with sports plays. "Suck it Robert E. Lee!" 

No wonder Lainey and Erica are best friends, they both acted like petty selfish assholes in singing related plots in their shows most recent episode! I did love seeing Wilma sing, I too feel like a better person after hearing her!

• Love 7
On 3/20/2020 at 10:31 PM, rmontro said:

Funny no mention at all of the CB/Lainey "relationship".  Last we heard of it, Lainey had said something about making up her mind and she was watching CB in the classroom.  Maybe they've decided to leave Lainey with Barry and drop the whole thing?

I imagine it will pop up again in the season finale and we'll get some kind of cliffhanger. I like CB and don't actually hate Lainey (well maybe this episode a bit...) but I don't know if I want them together. I like everyone being friends. Bring in a new love interest for them.

And I love Wilma's voice. They need to find a way to have her sing every episode.

• Love 3