Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Blue Death-Feigning Beetles

• Start Topic

Matilda’s whole life forks between success and obscurity! It’s the most important night of her life. Nicholas juggles a house full of people and Penny on screen from her hospital bed in Australia.

Airdate: February 20, 2020

• Useful 1

I thought Genevieve wanting to lie to Matilda about Juliard was pretty awful. I know she meant well, but it seems like such a terrible thing to do.

I am glad Nicholas didn't agree to that or to saying she couldn't go. That would have been a decision to make before she even applied. I assume that happened when the father was still alive and he thought she could handle it. 

• Love 2

I hated that Genevieve had that attitude about Matilda. I thought it was going to be because she didn't want her to be far away, because she'd miss her. When it turned out to be about the autism, I was really disappointed. But she seemed to have that attitude about her wrt sex, as well.

Matilda doesn't seem that fragile to me. And Julliard surely has awareness of autism and if they admitted her, they'd have to make reasonable accommodations in order to comply with USA law.

• Love 2

I feel like it is easy to forget that Genevieve is still pretty young, and that she has probably spent most of her life protecting Matilda....making sure she gets on the bus and gets to school, protecting her when people make fun of her, deescalating situations or helping Matilda get out of them. It's hard to suddenly drop all those years of protecting her and go "sure, she can go out into the big scary world without me to help her". A lot of adults have difficulties saying that for their neurotypical children, I'm not going to hold it against a 13 (?) year old girl that she is having some struggles. 

Sure, her reactions and how she wants to handle it probably isn't best. That is why she has adults in her life to say "Actually no, that isn't what we are going to do"....and I really want an episode to deal with finding her a good therapist, she's had to deal with a lot of stuff recently.

• Love 7