Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Trouble With Toes

Airs January 30, 2020

Dr. Vincent uses a cadaver bone to fix a woman's foot who's deathly afraid of infection; surgery to correct a woman's webbed toes becomes a crisis for Dr. Schaeffer when she develops a dangerous complication that could cost the patient her toes.

Geez, I was expecting the girl with the webbed toes to be much worse based on the way she described it. I expected all the toes to be webbed i guess. I'm sure it isn't pleasant but she said how she was teased so badly about it. 

• Love 2

I will admit I dozed off in the middle of the show somewhere, but saw Dr. Ebony’s diagnosis of the women with the short fourth toe and the final result. I was not impressed at all. I saw no difference in the second toe except for a long keloid scar, and the fourth toe still seemed awfully short although better positioned. If you’re going to the trouble of implanting a cadaver bone, wouldn’t you use one long enough to lengthen the toe to a normal length? Maybe this was discussed in the part I missed.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I will admit I dozed off in the middle of the show somewhere, but saw Dr. Ebony’s diagnosis of the women with the short fourth toe and the final result. I was not impressed at all. I saw no difference in the second toe except for a long keloid scar, and the fourth toe still seemed awfully short although better positioned. If you’re going to the trouble of implanting a cadaver bone, wouldn’t you use one long enough to lengthen the toe to a normal length? Maybe this was discussed in the part I missed.

Agreed - the keloid and the other scar are really visible in the wedding shoes as well. However, for her shrimpy toe to fit in the shoes was a major feat and I'm glad she got what she wanted. I just watched it and there wasn't an option of using a longer bone. I am not sure if she could even wiggle it, so I'm not sure if it was an issue of keeping the toe's function.

• Love 1
On 1/31/2020 at 6:36 PM, lightninggirl said:

Agreed - the keloid and the other scar are really visible in the wedding shoes as well. However, for her shrimpy toe to fit in the shoes was a major feat and I'm glad she got what she wanted. I just watched it and there wasn't an option of using a longer bone. I am not sure if she could even wiggle it, so I'm not sure if it was an issue of keeping the toe's function.

I don't know why the doctor simply would not have amputated the shrimpy toe.  No one would have even noticed!  

Also, regarding the toe that was too long, the doctor should have used the technique shown by "Dr. Brad" (and the real surgeon) from the EPA called "ET Fingers."  Practically no scar at all.