Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Rewatch: Season 4 Hiatus edition

BobH

Hope starting this is okay.

With the hiatus leading up to the final four episodes being almost exactly the number of days as the existing episodes (depending on how you count the double episodes), I was thinking of trying a more-or-less daily rewatch (holidays can always wreak havoc on schedules, so I'm sure there'll be skip days and catch-up days), timed to end just before the series returns on January 9th. Obviously there's the potential for spoilers up to the latest episode.

So, assuming it's okay and anyone else is interested, tomorrow we start with:

good place.jpg

• Love 2

Chapter 1 - Everything Is Fine
Season 1, Episode 1
September 19, 2016

I have to admit, I watched this the week it came out and wasn't sold on the show. I liked a lot in it, but I don't think I saw how the concept could sustain a series. So initially I didn't continue past the second episode (broadcast the same night as this). But it stayed in my head, and a few weeks later, as every other new series of the season failed to impress me even more (such high hopes for Son of Zorn...) I went back to it (fortunately I kept it on my DVR schedule), liked the later episodes a lot and went back to catch up and wondered why I wasn't all-in from the start.

It's pretty impressive, in retrospect, how much is in the first 23 minutes. We get a lot of Eleanor, of course, and that makes sense since we now know that she is the answer. All the selfishness and arrogance and ability to cover it up with endless charm, scheming and quick thinking. I love some of the facial expressions Bell pulls off. For Michael, it's impossible not to see it now with the knowledge that he's putting on an act, and how it informs the choices that Danson makes in subtle ways. We get enough of Chidi, with the stomachaches and everything, though it would take a few episodes to flesh him out. The rest do enough to be interesting, although they'd have to wait for their focus episodes to really come together.

Some other things.

Once you find out (from the podcast) that Ted Danson pronounces it "Eleaner", but didn't know he did, it's hard to un-hear it. It's very obvious in these early episodes.

Eleanor on her parents: "Maybe they're being used to torture each other. It would work." Wow, talk about telegraphing the ending...

The ridiculous lack of stairs to Eleanor's bedroom, her craving for shrimp, the clown paintings. All stuff that would really pay-off down the line.

The jokes that need freeze-frame start early, with Michael's film about the points system. Which we now know he was just making up.  I'm sure in the real system using "Facebook" as a verb costs way more than -5.55 points. And the substitute swear words are there from the start. And the audaciousness of the absolutely insane chaos sequence at the end is a good declaration that this isn't a normal network show. It's hard for me to believe that I didn't love it from the start.

Podcast episode for this chapter was Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn) interviewing creator Michael Schur for almost an hour, released June 1, 2018, so from the perspective of having finished filming most or all of season 3. Lots of fascinating stuff on the genesis of the series and evolution of the characters.

good place 3.jpg

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

How are we gonna watch the first four episodes of this season? They took them off of Hulu.

Are they on Netflix? They are in Canada.

It looks like (in US) Netflix has seasons 1-3.  NBC.com has seasons 3-4, but you have to sign in with a cable account or do some kind of "free" trial.  Or my DVR has seasons 2 through current🙂

I doubt I can keep up with a group rewatch in real time but I'll be interested to read the comments.

Chapter 2 - Flying
Season 1, Episode 2
September 19, 2016

It occurs to me re-watching this now that it may have been a mistake for them to air the first two episodes as a one-hour block. I think they work much better if you have some time to sit with the first episode in your head for at least a day, maybe ideally a week, before getting some more. Of course, now that it's going to live forever mostly on either on-demand streaming or physical media, instead of scheduled broadcasting, most people will probably watch the first few episodes without even so much as a commercial break between them.

So I didn't like this quite as much as the premiere, but still enjoyed it.  It's mostly elaborating and expanding on the premise, and then moving it quickly forward with the cliffhanger of the mysterious note.

After hearing later podcast episodes, I do have a greater appreciation for some of the visual touches, like the yellow and blue outfits all being specially tailored to match the styles of the normal clothing of the characters, just made of the custom fabric they had made.

We see the beginnings of Tahani's name dropping in this episode, with her godmother Diana. Doesn't really matter what she's the princess of, not really important.

Still can't believe they had Ted Danson kick a dog into the sun...

It's always kind of weird on re-watch to see the other Good Place residents and their cartoon cheeriness now knowing that they were demons putting on an act.

Podcast episode for this chapter is Marc (he plays Shawn) speaking with casting directors Allison Jones & Ben Harris and writer Alan Yang. Some good stuff about how the actors were chosen that would get elaborated on in later episodes, and about how Michael Schur explains the concept of the show to people. Also the first hints that Schur could start a cult if he was of a mind to, given how the loyalty and admiration he inspires in his people.

tgp 2 1.jpg

Chapter 3 - Tahani Al-Jamil
Season 1, Episode 3
September 22, 2016

We start to get to know the rest of the cast a little more now, with Eleanor going off to try to prove Tahani isn't as perfect as she appears, while Michael tortures Chidi by getting him to explore other options to his endless dissertation in the afterlife, while Janet tries on a few alternate personalities.

I really liked this one. It was great to see Eleanor and Tahani play off one another, with Eleanor being exactly the two-faced and duplicitous phony that she accuses Tahani of being. I especially liked how she drops the act and can't help but show her real attitude every time Tahani turns away.  And Kristen Bell doing the exaggerated British accent is hilarious. 

The prop of the plant that Tahani gives Eleanor reflecting their relationship is pretty funny, especially when it bursts into flames ("Huh. What do you think that means?"). Even funnier when you watch it knowing it's part of Michael's torture matrix. 

Tahani's name dropping continues with her time as Baz Luhrmann muse and her diary with an introduction by Malala Yousafzai and Kylie Minogue. That's quite a combination.

I love the running joke about Chidi's dissertation that start here. The whole b-plot is pretty funny, with Janet trying on various personalities, giving D'Arcy Carden a lot more to do than she had in the first two episodes.

And of course at the end we have the revelation of Jason. Unfortunately as I watched this out of order the first time I already knew it was coming, but it must be quite a surprise to those who come in unspoiled. I'm still not sure I buy Jason being able to pull off the silent monk act for as long as he did, with what we see of his impulse control and intelligence later on. 

Podcast for this chapter is MEJ interviewing Jameela Jamil and set designer Camille Bratkowski. Jameela is always delightful on these, especially in the ways she deviates wildly from Tahani, and the look behind the scenes of TV production we get from the production people is fascinating, especially as Marc seems genuinely curious about it all.

tgp 3 1.JPG

Chapter 4 - Jason Mendoza
Season 1, Episode 4
September 29, 2016

Obviously Jason gets the focus this time, as well as the first Earth flashbacks from anyone but Eleanor. He's pretty epic in his stupidity. Sometimes in the future the writers get a little too extreme in how stupid they present him, so you wonder how he's able to function in society at all, but this time they strike a good balance. Plus, obviously, they place him in this cartoon version of Jacksonville where stupidity is a requirement.

The "Bud-hole" line never fails to amuse the 8-year-old in me. 

The Tahani subplot, planning the party at Good Plates, was pretty fun, especially given how much the whole party planning thing became both a weakness and a strength for her in later seasons.

Podcast episode for this chapter is Marc Evan Jackson interviewing Manny Jacinto and writer of the episode Joe Mande (also later playing Todd the lava monster). Lots of great stuff, including how Joe had to beg to include the "Bortles" line when Jason tossed the Molotov cocktail, which is funny given how iconic it's become, and since this was taped in 2018 by that point the two of them had already been to Jacksonville to see the Jaguars in the playoffs. Interesting to hear how much of Jason's character, like the dancing, came after they cast Manny.

bortles.JPG

Chapter 5 - Category 55 Emergency Doomsday Crisis
Season 1, Episode 5
October 6, 2016

First flashbacks to Tahani's life and how her sister Kamilah and their wanker parents shaped her. Those are always enjoyable, sort of like the exact opposite world to the Jason flashbacks.

That's a lot of frozen yogurt flavours.

First reference to Donkey Doug. Also first "Ya basic".

The scenes with Bart and Nina are funnier when you've seen the later call-back on them from the demon perspective.

Podcast for this chapter is Marc interviewing Kristen Bell and producter/director Morgan Sackett.  We get the casting story from Kristen, talk about having to keep the secret for the first season and some early talk about David Niednagel's preview effects using his kids.

tgp5.JPG

Edited by BobH
On 11/24/2019 at 11:21 AM, BobH said:

I have to admit, I watched this the week it came out and wasn't sold on the show. 

I saw a lot of promos with Eleanor being hostile to people on earth and they did not appeal to me at all. However I also saw a lot of rave reviews online and decided to give it a try, and I loved it from the premiere. I especially loved William Jackson Harper as Chidi.

I want to participate in the rewatch, but every time I sit down to try to watch one episode I wind up going through half a season and now my thoughts are cluttered up with the second reboot already. 

The bit in episode 1.4 where Chidi invites Jason to join his ethics class and Eleanor launches into a tirade about how good Chidi is to help them is charming. 

Eleanor: Dude! Chidi is giving you a lifeline right now and you need to take it! Because you suck!

Jason: you suck!

Eleanor: I know! That's what I'm trying to tell you -- we both suck. You know who doesn't suck? Chidi. He is putting himself in danger to help us. Because he, unlike us, is an amazing person.

Jason: I didn't get into heaven to go to school.

Eleanor: You didn't get into heaven at all, shirt for brains.

Jason: I just want to be myself.

Eleanor: that's a very, very bad idea. Do not be yourself. You need to be a better version of yourself, okay, and I do too. And our only hope right now is this kind, selfless, amazing nerd. Think about that.

Chidi: do you have to call me a nerd so much?

Eleanor: I said a lot of other nice things, okay? Toughen up, nerd.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Chapter 6 - What We Owe to Each Other
Season 1, Episode 6
October 13, 2016

The "sexy mailman" became a surprisingly persistent running joke.

Michael faking a breakdown is always funny. I like the bit where he talks about one of the rocks hiding something, mocking him, is really him talking about himself.

And of course the Eleanor teaching Michael to relax and going to karaoke is classic.

The whole subplot of Chidi trying to keep Tahani from finding out about Jason isn't my favourite, it's more of a placeholder until they get where they're going, but there are always some good gags. Jason thinking Tahani meant Frank Caliendo when talking about "impressionists" is just the right level of dumb.

The Eleanor dog sitting flashbacks are pretty funny. The "Wow, I'm ready to be a mom" line takes on new meaning when we finally get to know Eleanor's mom.

Podcast this time is Shawn (he's played by Marc) talking to writers Josh Siegal & Dylan Morgan. Lots of general topics, including how hard Michael Schur and the other writers pushed to have Josh play Glenn.

tgp6.JPG

On 11/28/2019 at 11:53 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

every time I sit down to try to watch one episode I wind up going through half a season

I did that for most of the long gap between seasons. I think there was one solid month where the only TV I watched was episodes of this show.

Chapter 7 - The Eternal Shriek
Season 1, Episode 7
October 20, 2016

Janet's imitation of human crying is hilarious. So is the failsafe mechanism at the reset button, with her begging for her life. And the faceplant when she is shut down is great. Especially when they call back to it with the montage of resets in season 2. And the casual references to Janets updating with each reset, which becomes important later

First Chidi flashback, with the story of the ugly boots, and how everyone hates moral philosophy professors. Chidi's flashbacks are a lot more understated than the rest of them, without the cartoon extravagance of Tahani's life, the insane version of Jacksonville in Jason's or Eleanor's basic rejection of common manners, but they were still enjoyable, and might end up being more important to the big picture than expected.

"Can we somehow throw Tahani under the bus? That would be a classic two birds with one stone scenario. Plus, I'd get her house. Three birds". I love the delivery of "three birds".

And Eleanor's confession at the end opens up a whole new act for the show, right in the middle of the season.

Podcast for this chapter is Marc talking with D’Arcy Carden and writer Megan Amram. D'Arcy has one of the weirder casting stories, since the character was so nebulous in concept from the beginning.

tgp7.JPG

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BobH said:

And Eleanor's confession at the end opens up a whole new act for the show, right in the middle of the season.

For me this was a turning point with the show. Until then I was really enjoying it but wasn’t completely hooked. Then Eleanor confessed and the show completely took off for me. 

When I re-watch the first season episode 2 through 6 drag a little. There are parts I love but there are also entire storylines I fast forward through, like Chidi running interference between Tahani and Jason. 

The most amazing thing about the first episodes is how many layers appear after the twist is revealed. The Ted Danson was able to convincingly play Michael torturing them off as an inexperienced and slightly inept good place architect was amazing. 

3 hours ago, BobH said:

"Can we somehow throw Tahani under the bus? That would be a classic two birds with one stone scenario. Plus, I'd get her house. Three birds". I love the delivery of "three birds".

I love the callback to this line Dance Dance Resolution with throwing Tahani under the bus was one of the plans they tried in the reboot. 

“I know it says here that we already tried throwing Tahani under the bus, but maybe we should revisit that. Throw her a little bit harder. Maybe under a bigger bus. What do you think?” 

3 hours ago, BobH said:

Janet's imitation of human crying is hilarious. So is the failsafe mechanism at the reset button, with her begging for her life. And the faceplant when she is shut down is great. Especially when they call back to it with the montage of resets in season 2. And the casual references to Janets updating with each reset, which becomes important later

This shows how far Janet evolved with the reboots to the point where she is actually has tears in her eyes in the last episode. The casual reference about Janet’s not being able to eat is a nice set up the first season cliffhanger.  

Another moment from The Eternal Shriek that just got a call back is Professor Linderman leaving his tenured position at the Sorbonne after being asked to read Chidi’s 3,600 page manuscript.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:17 PM, BobH said:

Chapter 6 - What We Owe to Each Other
Season 1, Episode 6
October 13, 2016

The "sexy mailman" became a surprisingly persistent running joke.

Michael faking a breakdown is always funny. I like the bit where he talks about one of the rocks hiding something, mocking him, is really him talking about himself.

And of course the Eleanor teaching Michael to relax and going to karaoke is classic.

The whole subplot of Chidi trying to keep Tahani from finding out about Jason isn't my favourite, it's more of a placeholder until they get where they're going, but there are always some good gags. Jason thinking Tahani meant Frank Caliendo when talking about "impressionists" is just the right level of dumb.

The Eleanor dog sitting flashbacks are pretty funny. The "Wow, I'm ready to be a mom" line takes on new meaning when we finally get to know Eleanor's mom.

Podcast this time is Shawn (he's played by Marc) talking to writers Josh Siegal & Dylan Morgan. Lots of general topics, including how hard Michael Schur and the other writers pushed to have Josh play Glenn.

tgp6.JPG

If there's nothing else on, I usually have the Good Place on in the background, so I've seen this episode (and most of the others) multiple times. We're constantly talking about all the little things that make this show so great and I literally just noticed this. AFTER Michael expounds how how awesome paper clips are, he starts wearing a paper clip bracelet. I actually went back to the beginning of the episode to see if he was wearing it throughout, and he's not. 

I haven't noticed if he's wearing it in the next few episodes or not, but there are a few scenes in this episode where its very clear:

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 5.42.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 5.36.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 5.36.43 PM.png

• Love 3

On one of the podcasts episodes they mention a deleted scene of Eleanor showing him how to link paperclips, something that never occurred to him (like the snapping suspenders).

Edited by BobH

I’m watching “Tahani Al-Jamil” and was surprised at how much of the show’s philosophy was laid out in Eleanor’s conversation with her ex-boyfriend. After she says that bad stuff is impossible to avoid his response is, “Yeah, but shouldn't we just try? Shouldn't we just try to do the right thing whenever we can?”

The Jason reveal at the end is one of my favorite what the fork moments in any show. It was so completely unexpected and Manny Jacinto’s delivery of Jason’s first line was perfect. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

Chapter 8 - Most Improved Player
Season 1, Episode 8
October 27, 2016

Rebooting Janet and the cactus gag is hilarious, especially as the number and variety of cacti in Michael's office explodes.

The list of things that get you sent to the Bad Place is interesting. "Did you ever reheat fish in an office microwave?"

I love the cube detecting a lie when Michael says Tahani's been a big help.

The questioning of Jason takes on a whole other level when you learn Michael's secret.

Adam Scott is great as Trevor, just annoying in so many ways.

Chidi being decisive is a great moment. And the revelation of the "real Eleanor" at the end is one of the best cliffhangers the show has had.

Podcast for this chapter is Marc Evan Jackson talking with Ted Danson and writer Dan Schofield. It runs pretty far afield of the actual episode, and Ted is very clearly as nice a guy as everyone has been saying he is for the last seven episodes.

tgp.JPG

Edited by BobH

Chapter 9 - ...Someone Like Me as a Member
Season 1, Episode 9
November 3, 2016

The show really moves into high gear with this episode. Loved Trevor and the Bad Place crew, and Vicky playing "Real Eleanor" is so perfect that I kind of find it hard to believe that the Vicky we come to know in later seasons could have pulled it off.

There's something very odd about Kristen Bell playing high school Eleanor. That was a great little flashback sequence about her refusal to join groups.

Payoff to all the weird little things in Eleanor's house being exactly what real Eleanor liked, and the hidden switch for the stairs.

First Bad Janet, in a short but memorable bit. I especially like Tahani and Michael's exchange "What is even the purpose of a Janet who behaves in such a manner?" "Unclear."

Man, that dinner is, intentionally, torture.

Bad Place crew party is off the hook. Nixon Tapes karaoke. I remember thinking at the time that Michael getting into "Who Let The Dogs Out" was a bit out of character, but I guess it was just him letting the mask slip a bit.

Michael making his stand against Trevor is a great scene, even knowing it's staged.

And of course Tahani finally figures out Jason's secret, which was a painful way to go into a two-month hiatus. Fortunately no one in the future will have to experience that torture.

Podcast this time is Marc in conversation with Tiya Sircar (Real Eleanor/Vicky) and writer Jen Statsky. Tiya talks about her original audition for the Tahani role, playing "Real Eleanor" without knowing the twist and filming the later Vicky reveal, and Vicky-as-Trump in later seasons. Lots of discussion about how the writing process on the show works.

tgp8.JPG

tgp8a.JPG

16 hours ago, BobH said:

First Bad Janet, in a short but memorable bit. I especially like Tahani and Michael's exchange "What is even the purpose of a Janet who behaves in such a manner?" "Unclear."

I love how Jamila delivers this. Tahani is so taken aback by the notion that there is an evil twin as it were for the cheerful, pleasant, accommodating version of Janet that she knows. Now, that said, while Bad Janet is superficially unpleasant and hostile, and makes a point of farting offensively, does Bad Janet ever actually refuse to do what she is asked? The situations I can think of she seems to serve her purpose, she just insults the person or demon who made the request, or sulks about having to do whatever they asked for.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle

Chapter 10 - Chidi's Choice
Season 1, Episode 10
January 5, 2017

That was a rough two month wait...

Man, Tahani is harsh when confronting Jason. But not inaccurate.

Eleanor when she thinks "real Eleanor" is coming on to her "well, hooking up with someone with the exact same name is kind of a fun narcissistic fantasy"

Young Chidi filibustering recess is a classic bit. And his death scene is surprising.

I like the quick switching of who may or may not be soulmates with whom. Sort of taking classic sitcom plot complications but accelerating them and treating them in a more sophisticated manner.

"Deirdre and Margaret", ran for 16 years, they did nearly 30 episodes.

It feels more like the show now that we finally have Tahani in the loop on all of the secrets. Yep, that's right, no more secrets to be revealed...

Oh, man, so much to love in the Jason/Janet wedding. Jason's ripping off his tuxedo sleeves, Eleanor's reactions, the wedding vows, Janet not able to eat the wedding cake (both a callback and setting up an important future bit).

Chidi's reaction at the end when he finally decided to make a choice and sees that events have completely changed around him while he was deciding.

Podcast this time is MEJ interviewing William Jackson Harper and episode writer Demi Adejuyigbe. I liked the bit talking about what props they'd like to take from the show, with William having a pair of Chidi's loafers (which he makes clear he asked if he could take)

tgp10.JPG

Chapter 11 - What's My Motivation
Season 1, Episode 11
January 12, 2017

I really do love "real Eleanor" and Chidi's egg scene. "I love you too, egg".

Jason and Pillboi and finally finding out how Jason died.  "We'll just get married and then no one can testify against us".

Michael finds out about Jason. Well, pretends to find out about Jason. Now there are no more secrets, none at all...

And the existence of a "Medium Place" is confirmed.

And finally, enter Shawn.

Speaking of Shawn, podcast this time is Marc (he plays Shawn) talking with episode writer Andrew Law and costume designer Kirston Mann. Talk of Michael's iconic feature bowtie, the inspirations for Janet and Bad Janet's looks, Eleanor's Good Place look vs. her Arizona look and creating the chaos sequence zig-zag outfits.

tgp11.JPG

• Love 2

Chapter 12 - Mindy St. Claire
Season 1, Episode 12
January 19, 2017

We get to see the previously described death of Eleanor, right down to the Lonely Gal margarita mix and Celebrity Baby Plastic Surgery Disasters magazine (right next to a magazine with Tahani on the cover).

Shawn playing the judge and Bad Janet are a formidable team. "I rule the fart inadmissible as evidence."

And then we meet Mindy in the medium place.

A little while ago my DVR picked up some repeats on a free preview of the Family Channel. I watched part of this one, and it was weird to see Mindy's lift story carefully edited to remove any mention of cocaine. I wonder if that's also the version of this show they get in The Medium Place...

Man, that screen of Eleanor's biggest point drops is some fun reading for the freeze framers.

Bad Janet in walkie talkie mode always cracks me up.

Jason sure does find a lot of reasons to use Molotov cocktails.

Janet's "ride or die protocol" is adorable.

And everything is finally set up for the big season finale.

Podcast this time is Marc talking with Mindy herself, Maribeth Monroe visual effects supervisor David Niednagel. Lots of talk about how they get those effects done on a TV timeline and budget.

tgp12.JPG

• Love 2
(edited)

Chapter 13 - Michael's Gambit
Season 1, Episode 13
January 19, 2017

And this is what it all builds up to. Not to be hyperbolic, but I think this might be a contender for my favourite episode of any TV show anywhere. Unless they really pull off something amazing for the series finale next month to bump it to number two.

I wonder how many people who watch the series now get to come in cold enough to really feel the revelation? I still try to be circumspect in recommending the series outside of places where spoilers are warned and expected, but I'd have to think that something is going to seep in to most people before they watch it (even that fact that there is a revelation is almost too much to know).  I'm probably going to watch the last season of GAME OF THRONES in the next month, and I haven't been able to avoid major spoilers about that (advantage there, I go in expecting to be disappointed, so anything I like is a bonus). TGP isn't quite in the cultural zeitgeist like GoT, but I've seen enough "THIS is The Bad Place" memes to know it's not unavoidable.

Anyway, open with a flashback to Michael getting his promotion, with just enough to maintain the ruse for the viewer that he's from The Good Place while still planting some seeds of doubt with the drab 1961 office set.

It's hard to pick out scenes to highlight in this one since it's such an intricately constructed watch, with so many iconic moments that recast everything we've seen before and inform everything we've seen since.

The two minutes between when Eleanor has her revelation and she reveals it to the others (and the viewers) is just delicious. The Bambadjan interruption in the middle of it ("Michael! I just found an obscure precedent in the rules that might just save everyone." "Buzz off, Bambadjan! Don't need it.") is just so wonderfully done when you look at it in retrospect, especially Michael's reaction. I can still remember the first time I watched it being faked out and thinking that "obscure precedent" was going to be the big reveal of the episode.

From there on it's just non-stop. Michael's laugh and confession, Vicky's reaction to losing her big scene, Tahani realizing why she's there, Chidi's (first) almond milk confession, "Ya Basic" and the first reset, the small differences in the reset neighbourhood and of course the note. How is this all in a 22-minute episode? Jeremy Bearimy?

And of course one advantage people watching it now have is that they don't have to wait 244 days for the next chapter. Although I also wonder if that's an advantage. I probably watched this at least ten times in those 244 days, and it got better with every viewing. I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to wait even for the Fremulon logo to finish before going on to the next chapter if it was available.

Podcast episode is, of course, Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn) talking to creator, writer and director Michael Schur for a full hour and still only scratching the surface of this episode. If you only listen to one episode of the podcast, this is it (again, until the series finale podcast which may eclipse it).

tgp13.JPG

tgp13a.JPG

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1

Chapter 14/15 - Everything Is Great!
Season 2, Episode 1/2
September 20, 2017

And eight long months later...

Season opens with a double sized episode actually structured as one, as opposed to the doubling up of two distinct episodes done in the first season launch and finale.

It's a tough ask to follow up on one of the best episodes of television ever, but this does a pretty good job. It's a virtuoso level of storytelling, following each of the cast from the moment of their reboot into the fake Good Place, with the intersecting storylines each advancing the overall story slightly more.

Seeing the new tortures that Michael designed for each of the four is fun, and helps to reframe everything he did in the first season. The new torture for Chidi, being forced to choose between two soulmates and then having the choice yanked from him just as he was about to decide, really works well. And Tahani's dealing with her new soulmate, short and non-materialistic, was funny. Cargo pants and crocs, same as Glenn. That should have given it away right there.

The Vicky storyline is really entertaining, and like many things on this show ended up being a lot more important to later plot developments than you might think on first viewing. Loved her giving her character a limp.

And the final confrontation leading to the reboot is a nice abbreviated callback to the previous episode.

Michael reaching into Janet's throat is a good example of the way they sometimes take advantage of the impossible visuals the setting allows in casual ways.

The podcast has Marc Evan Jackson with episode writers Jen Statsky and Joe Mande and director Trent O’Donnell.  Lots of talk about how the episode structure worked and the decisions about how long they could keep the characters in the dark. But most important, the origin of "Ya Basic".

tgp14.JPG

Chapter 16 - Dance Dance Resolution
Season 2, Episode 3
September 28, 2017

And the hits just keep coming, with yet another complex story that only works if you get the best from everyone involved. The first half of this episode flashes through the highlights of 799 neighbourhoods and over 300 years. You have to admire the amount of work they did for some gags were on screen for less than ten seconds (or, as we'll see, didn't make the screen at all).

I liked the bit where you see Michael and Bambadjan celebrating as Eleanor calls Tahani a "mean giraffe", giving them fuel for the chaos sequence. The kind of behind the scenes at the torture they couldn't show in season one. And of course the actual mean giraffes...

"A three-hour spoken word jazz opera". Loved Janet at the drums and Vicky's reaction to not getting to play her triangle.

The scene with Janet pleading when Michael reboots her, followed by the later montage of reboots, is an all-time series highlight.

Montage of Eleanor soulmates, including Tahani, Glenn and a dog, is great. Followed by the montage of Elanor realizations, then Eleanor declarations. Never knew montages could work so well.

"Jason figured it out? Jason? This is a real low point. Yeah, this one hurts". That was a perfect place to end the highlights reel and move to the final neighbourhood.

Seriously, how was all that just eight minutes?

Vicky blackmailing Michael, and her australian accent, she's about as far from "real Eleanor" as you can get now.

That clam chowder fountain has to be one of the most disgusting things ever on TV.

Maribeth Monroe does a great job of selling that Mindy's had over 300 years of this, without ever getting her cocaine. Wonder what that's like in the edited version.

Jason's stories of life in Jacksonville are always just so weird and sad. And how he still thinks he's in the Good Place even after Michael tells him the truth.

Podcast episode is Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn) talking with Jameela Jamil (she plays Tahani) and writer Megan Amram (she plays the violin player next season). Talk of shooting all the reboots, some of the unused ones (including one where Jason is a mime, in full makeup, and something about a chainsaw and a dog), Megan working her aversion to clam chowder into the script, and talk of all the puns in the show, especially on the restaurant names.

tpg1501.JPG

tpg1503.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 17 - Team Cockroach
Season 2, Episode 4
October 5, 2017

After several technically quite tricky episodes, we almost get a bottle episode, set mostly in Eleanor's house, except for the Tahani death flashback and the scene in the town square. Very few special effects shots, too, except for Michael's floating computer screen. It's very much a plot and character heavy episode.

Loved Eleanor realizing just how disgusting the "lazy river of chowder" is.

Never caught Jason's line about "a gun range in a Jacksonville bus station" when talking about his trust of bowties before. DUUUUVAL!

"I just have twelve more Jaguars question..."

This is really well done, seeing how everyone eventually gets convinced to go along with Michael's new plan.

Vicky finally gets her spotlight in the final version of the neighbourhood.

Podcast episode for this chapter is Shawn (he's played by Marc Evan Jackson) talking with writers' assistant Lizzy Pace, editor Matt Freund and composer David Schwartz. Lots of behind the scenes talk on the technical work that goes into various stages of show production.

tpg1703.JPG

• Love 2

Chapter 18 - Existential Crisis
Season 2, Episode 5
October 12, 2017

First episode of the new status quo, the humans aware they're in a fake Good Place and working with Michael and Janet to keep it secret. Like most status quos on this show, it doesn't last nearly as long as I expected it to. On the one hand I like the dense storytelling, on the other hand I think would have happily watched another dozen episodes set in this part of the story.

Vicky and her lackeys bragging about their torture plans is great. Plus Vicky's "from now on make all your memos one page, max, with pictures".

Michael's breakdown was well done, and all the little things in his "mid-life crisis" (like the tattoo which is Chinese for Japan) cracked me up.

Eleanor's breakdown over the family of toothbrushes is almost the perfect distillation of the show's mix of heart and silliness.

Podcast this time has M. (he plays S.) talking with writer Andrew Law and actor Marques Ray (demon Quinston Timeclock) about the episode, including the actual animals brought in for the party scene.

tgp 18.JPG

tgp 18a.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 19 - The Trolley Problem
Season 2, Episode 6
October 19, 2017

One of the more explicitly philosophy and ethics focused episodes of the show.

"My name is Kierkegaard and my writing is impeccable, check out my teleological suspension of the ethical."

I liked Michael's analysis of Les Miserables.

The physical manifestation of the trolley problem was pretty intense, and I loved the little gleam of pleasure you could see Michael was taking in it before it's revealed he was torturing Chidi.

Eleanor's confrontation with Michael was fun, especially how she kept wavering on how much she shared his enjoyment. "I can't high five that, no matter how badly I want to".

The subplot of Janet starting to glitch because of the Tahani/Jason relationship had some interesting moments. "What has one thumb and wants to keep going? This not a lady."

And of course Eleanor's reaction to the endless shrimp machine.

Podcast is Jackson talking with William Jackson Harper and Dr. Todd May, a philosophical adviser for the show, with a wide-ranging conversation about ethics, philosophy raps and blood cannons.

tgp19.JPG

tgp19b.JPG

• Love 1

The Good Place

Chapter 20 - Janet and Michael
Season 2, Episode 7
October 26, 2017

Janet's turn in the spotlight this time, starting with a flashback to Michael stealing her from the Janet Warehouse and showing what happens when a Bad Janet tries to imitate a Good Janet. Great job by D'Arcy Carden and Ted Danson carrying this episode, where everyone else just has a short scene.

A very touching climax to the episode when Michael finally confronts his feelings. "The reason is friends" might very well be the pivotal moment in Michael's story arc, if not the whole series.

And, of course, the introduction of Derek in the final scene to set up the next episode. The character can be a bit (intentionally) annoying, but I enjoy him.

Podcast this time is Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Kevin on BROOKLYN NINE-NINE)  talking with D'Arcy Carden and director Dean Holland, with some discussion about the technical details on some of the visuals of this episode, like the Janet Warehouse and Janet spewing pennies.

tgp 20a.JPG

tgp 20b.JPG

• Love 1

The Good Place
Chapter 21 - Derek
Season 2, Episode 8
November 2, 2017

And continuing straight from the last episode with the introduction of Derek. A very different type of comedy for the show.

Tahani and Jason were pretty fun out on the picnic Michael set up to get them out of the way. "The Jag-u-ars are very good"

"Girl, you are a messy bench who loves drama and I am into it" (high five)

And after everything is settled, in comes Shawn...

Speaking of, podcast is Marc Evan Jackson in conversation with Jason Mantzoukas (he plays Derek) and Jeff Rosenberg (he plays second assistant director). Talk of improv and creating Derek's character (including translating lines into other languages and back to English). Lots of details on the ins and outs of Jeff's job in coordinating production.

tgp21a.JPG

tgp21b.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 22 - Leap to Faith
Season 2, Episode 9
January 4, 2018

Shawn and Michael pick up where the previous episode left off, and I'll admit the first time I saw it I thought that they really were going to have Michael flip back to evil. I guess I'm just gullible that way...

Janet drunk on "mag-e-nets" is enjoyable, especially with the payoff later in the episode.

This had what is probably my favourite Tahani name drop: "Sure, Ben Affleck told me he'd matured as an artist after he directed Argo, but then, right on schedule, it was, 'Guess what, Tahani, I'm gonna be Batman'."

Also my favourite fake(?) britishism: "... has flipped on us like a ten-stone griddle chip. It's a large pancake. Come on, people, you can get these from context."

The comedy roast was invented in the Bad Place? That checks out.

Drunk Janet at the party. "Something something Vicky something something. Can I braid your hair?"

"Normally I would love hearing a man tell a woman she's crazy". You can tell how much the writers like scripting for the demons.

"Maximum Derek"

Podcast episode is Marc interviewing Ted Danson and editor Eric Kissack. Ted's calling in from vacation and sounds really mellow and relaxed. A lot of detail on the post-production side of things.

tgp22a.JPG

tgp22b.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 23 - Best Self
Season 2, Episode 10
January 11, 2018

Unusual episode in that, except for a brief appearance by Bad Janet, only the main six characters in the show appear.

"Top of the balloon. Ultimate shotgun."

It's common for my opinion of episodes of this show to only improve in retrospect, after seeing what they were laying the groundwork for, and that's more true of this episode than most. Now that we've seen some highlights from reboot 119, Michael's description of them is even more effective. Plus random lines like "You know the sound that a fork makes in the garbage disposal?" just come back in the most recent episode.

"I mean, look at us. A self-obsessed socialite, a ridiculous giraffe, an absurd British aristocrat, a narcissistic attention seeker."
"Are these all me?"
"Yes. I was gonna do eight for you, and one for everyone else."

Loved the human starter kit, the dance montage, and then the taking down of the neighbourhood.

"The real Bad Place was the friends we made along the way."

Podcast this time around is Marc talking with Manny Jacinto, writer Tyler Straessle and Tom Zawacki of the props department. Talk of the overwhelming experience of the Comicon panel for the show and a lot of the background details and jokes that the prop department works on.

• Love 1

Chapter 24 - Rhonda, Diana, Jake, and Trent
Season 2, Episode 11
January 18, 2018

This is probably my favourite episode of the season, although it's a real close call, especially with this whole stretch of five episodes after the hiatus. Bodes well for the series ending final stretch after a similar hiatus.

"I'm telling you, Molotov cocktails work. Any time I had a problem, and I threw a Molotov cocktail, Boom! Right away, I had a different problem."

Tahani's fake American accent and name-dropping in Hell is a delight. Close behind is Janet trying to imitate Bad Janet.

I've always thought that Chidi's demon doppelganger Trent would figure into things eventually, but we're getting down to the wire on that particular Chekov's gun being fired.

We got several definitive Shawn lines in this one, including "I took the form of a 45-year-old white man for a reason. I can only fail up."

Man, that scene where Michael sacrifices himself and pushes Eleanor through the portal, just sublime, and coming after a chase scene instigated by a character throwing a Molotov cocktail, amazing what this show can do. I know the Emmys are a bit of a joke, but nominating Ted Danson for this year was one they got right.

Podcast this time is the naughty bitch himself talking with director of photography David Miller and set decorator Kim Wannop on all manners of topics in the behind the scenes production of the show.

• Love 1

Chapter 25 - The Burrito
Season 2, Episode 12
January 25, 2018

The humans come out of the other end of the portal from the previous episode into the Judge's chambers, with some initial confusion over the role of the titular burrito. I liked the reveal of the actual Judge sneaking up behind them.

Have to admit, I'm not always sure that the Judge character always works for me, between the pop culture references and Maya Rudolph's sometimes bizarre acting choices. Really varies depending on my mood when I'm watching.

Catching up with Michael being interrogated by Shawn and Bad Janet. Michael's "In the words of one of my actual friends... Ya basic. It's a human insult. It's devastating. You're devastated right now." is a great callback.

Some of the names on the rooms that Tahani passed by are a nice reflection of her name-dropping.

The reveal that Janet had been imitating Bad Janet was surprising at the time, but kind of obvious in retrospect, which is always a sign of good writing.

And Michael and Janet arrive as the cavalry at the last minute.

On the podcast front, Kristen Bell returns for a solo interview with host Marc Evan Jackson, with a lot about working with Maya Rudolph and William Jackson Harper and other topics.

• Love 1

Chapter 26 - Somewhere Else
Season 2, Episode 13
February 1, 2018

It was good to have a few minutes at the top of the episodes with the characters we've come to know interacting and advancing their relationships before the inevitable snap brought them back to square one.

God, Eleanor's Earth friends really are the worst.

"I came to apologize. There. I did it. I apologized."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did, assface."

"Taylor Splift, the Taylor Swift reggae cover band."

Michael as a bartender just feels right, somehow...

A nice low-key ending which would have worked as a series closer if they didn't get the pick-up for two more.

Podcast is Marc Evan Jackson hosting the return of creator Michael Schur for his now traditional season finale interview. As usual wide ranging topics like getting Ted Danson back behind the bar and Kristen Bell carrying the episode. Plus an epic dubbed swearing streak.

• Love 1

Chapters 27/28 - Everything Is Bonzer!
Season 3, Episodes 1/2
September 27, 2018

Double episode with a lot of ground to cover for the season premiere.

Loved the doorman. "I haven't heard a joke in 8000 years. I still haven't."

A whole lot of information is presented efficiently in Michael's rescues, the humans making temporary progress, backsliding and then Michael coming in again to give them a nudge towards coming together.

Shawn must have really hated his time in a cocoon while playing a judge for it to become his go to punishment for his minions.

Loved the scene of Eleanor setting up Simone and Chidi in the MRI room.

It was good to see the gang apart and interacting with others, but better to have them together again by the end of this.

But here comes Trevor...

Podcast changes this time, with the first episode done in real-time for release on the day the episode is aired. This time Marc talks with Jameela Jamil and writer Jen Statsky. It's also available in video form (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpH2oUCXeC4). Talk about when the decision to return to Earth was made and general nonsense.

• Love 1

Chapter 29 - The Brainy Bunch
Season 3, Episode 3
October 4, 2018

Man, over-eager friendly Trever is even worse than evil Trevor. I could have happily gone the rest of my life without knowing the expression "dank memes".

Jason trying to get super-powers from a irradiated spider.

Michael and Trevor both not getting how to do the "Dick Tracy called..." thing is great.

An American writers room idea of what an American-themed restaurant in Australia would be like. That "Manifest Destiny package" is a steal at $30.

Janet dealing with not having her powers cracks me up. "I will go physically pick those up, I guess, and then walk them back here with my feet."

Sad to say I also wonder if we'll get a new SPACEBALLS with all these new STAR WARS movies...

Great confrontation with the Judge on the bridge. Did not see Trevor being casually tossed off like that coming. 

"I mean, because of you, Byron Allen owns the Weather Channel now."
"Is that bad?"
"I don't know, but it's weird, man."

Podcast this time is Marc Evan Jackson in conversation with Kirby Howell-Baptiste (she plays Simone) and writer Dan Schofield. Talk of casting, watching incomplete versions of the episodes before the effects are done and more.

tpg29.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 30 - The Snowplow 
Season 3, Episode 4
October 11, 2018

Interesting episode, where they have to pack a lot in to get to the next phase of the story, so using a few montage bits to move it along.

"Everything here is in a... I don't know how to describe it. Like, a different zone of time. No, that sounds stupid. A different clock land."

And we finally meet Larry Hemsworth, the "non-famous Hemsworth brother" Tahani mentioned back in Season Two. He was a lot of fun, with his unearned lack of confidence. "Stupid Larry! Stop talking about rocks!". Jason had the best line for him, though, with "did Miley Cyrus write the song Wrecking Ball about Chris's brother Liam?".

Loved Eleanor's breakdown over the study being over, and then Simone's talking her down.

And that ending with them walking in on Michael and Janet and the door to the afterlife, that's a cliffhanger.

Podcast for this episode is Marc talking with production designer Ian Phillips and director Beth McCarthy-Miller.

• Love 1

Chapter 31 - Jeremy Bearimy
Season 3, Episode 5
October 18, 2018

This episode is definitely the high point of the season to date, although it would get eclipsed soon enough.

Loved Michael attempting one final big lie to cover what the humans saw before Janet convinces him to confess everything.

The whole "Jeremy Bearimy" timeline explanation and Chidi's reaction to the dot on the "i" is a series highlight. His whole breakdown sequence, from the encounter with the drug dealer to the shopping trip to the classroom and rescue by Eleanor is great. "You put the peeps in the chili pot and you add the M&Ms". My stomach hurts just thinking of that...

Hm, Michael and Janet writing a manifesto. Wonder if that will wind up being important later?

"Why not try? It's better than not trying, right?"

Podcast for this episode is Marc talking with D’Arcy Carden, writer Megan Amram, and editor Eric Kissack.

Sorry holidays got in the way more than I expected. Hope to still finish up by the next new episode, but comments will be abbreviated and I won't have time to re-listen to the podcasts. Guess that'll have to wait for the post-finale rewatch...

• Love 2

Chapter 32 - The Ballad of Donkey Doug
Season 3, Episode 6
October 25, 2018

The Soul Squad phase of the series begins. As usual, I expected it to be the status quo for much longer than it ended up being. You'd think I'd have picked up on the pattern by this point, right?

I always like Janet reacting to situations where she doesn't have her powers, this time by manually doing her own "bings".

The storyline with Chidi using a simulator to figure out how to break up with Simone had some funny stuff playing off standard sitcom/rom-com concepts in novel ways. The highlight was definitely Kirby Howell-Baptiste playing Eleanor impersonating Janet impersonating a simulation of Simone, especially after it pays off in a similar gag a few episodes down the line. This show does love people impersonating other people.

The Donkey Doug story of the title is quite a change of pace for the show, as we get our extended look at Jacksonville and the environment that created someone like Jason. Not entirely sure it worked, but there was a lot of funny along the way. I think my favourite bit was when they slipped into a Shark Tank pitch for their energy drink body spray.

Podcast this time is Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn) talking with Manny Jacinto, Mitch Narito (he plays Donkey Doug), and writer Matt Murray.

• Love 1

Chapter 33 - A Fractured Inheritance
Season 3, Episode 7
November 1, 2018

It's good of them to mix up the groups in these episodes where they split up geographically, getting to work on some of the relationships in more depth.

I have to admit I'm still not sold on the plot contrivances they had to resort to in order to have a story with Eleanor's mom after previously establishing she was dead in season one, but I guess it was worth it for this episode. And plot contrivances like that are how we got Martin Crane on FRASIER after it was established he was dead on CHEERS...

Absolute highlight of the episode is the "ya basic" scene.

The Tahani/Kamilah relationship is my favourite of the earthbound relationships on the show, so it was good to see it have some focus and resolution. I don't know if any scene that used the word "wankers" so much was ever more heartwarming. Also loved Chidi's brief interaction with Kamilah, where we also learn Chidi's name means "god exists". I'm still about 10% sure that'll figure into the endgame of the series. Guess we'll know in under a month...

Podcast this time (as subtly plugged by Micheal in the last scene) is Marc talking with Andy Daly (Dave), Rebecca Hazlewood (Kamilah) and graphic designer Graham Ratliff. 

• Love 1

Chapter 34 - The Worst Possible Use of Free Will
Season 3, Episode 8
November 8, 2018

Bit of a change of pace episode. The opening gag of Eleanor's first hit of afterlife memories is a bit of a Looney Tunes gag that I'm not sure completely works on the show, but I did laugh at. Especially how Eleanor's head was still smoking after coming back from the title screen.

It was pretty nice to see the old neighbourhood again after so long away. There's a particular brand of visual wackiness that setting allows for that had been missing.

I still wonder sometimes if Eleanor's theory of mega demons and tarantula squids will be the ending, and how I'd feel about that if it is...

Podcast is Marc Evan Jackson talking with writer Jen Statsky and animal trainer Debbie Pearl. Very fun episode, as Marc seems very interested in the whole animal wrangling world.

• Love 1

Chapter 35 - Don't Let the Good Life Pass You
By Season 3, Episode 9
November 15, 2018

Loved the LOST tribute opening of this episode. And Michael McKean was a perfect choice for playing Doug Forcett.

Very fun episode that plays off the philosophy and romantic aspects of the series with the characters split in the first half, and then brings them all together to unexpectedly turn it into an action movie in the second half. I think that Janet fight scene might be the most I ever re-watched a scene of a TV show in the week after it aired. There are a lot of clever touches and jokes that I didn't get the first time around.

Loved Jason whipping out a Molotov cocktail when the demons show up, and Chidi's "how did you make that so fast" reaction.

And into the void, and for the original showing a long three weeks until the next episode thanks to holidays and football. Thankfully future generations won't have to deal with that.

Packed demon-heavy podcast this time with Marc (he plays Shawn) talking with Tiya Sircar (Vicky) and Bambadjan Bamba (Bambadjan) plus casting director Ben Harris and a call-in from stunt coordinator Jeff Imada. A whole lot about the fight scene in particular this time, which was a real change of pace for most of the cast.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chapter 36 - Janet(s)
Season 3, Episode 10
December 6, 2018

Three weeks and mere microseconds later, we see Janet's void for the first time.

Just an amazing episode, maybe the only serious contender so far for knocking "Michael's Gambit" out of the top spot for series best. It's not only a testament to D'Arcy Carden's skill as an actor that she's able to play all the characters, but it really highlights how well the original actors and the writing staff have realized the characters over three years that she's able to pick up on all the little ticks and expressions.

"You're not Jason-Janet, you're Eleanor-Janet pretending to be Jason-Janet. That's so wrong and so confusing". That might be the master stroke of the episode, especially as it fits in so well with the series running gag of impersonators.

While it's overshadowed a bit by the virtuoso display of TV making in the void, the accounting department scenes are also really good, especially a few of the Janet/Michael scenes.

And of course "Holy forking shirtballs, we're in the Good Place" leading into the hiatus.

Podcast this time is Marc talking with, no surprise, D’Arcy Carden (she plays Janet. And Chidi and Eleanor and Tahani and Jason. And Bad Janet and Neutral Janet and Disco Janet) with writers Josh Siegal and Dylan Morgan. Lots about that specific challenges involved in making this episode.

Edited by BobH
  • Love 2

The Janet(s) episode was absolutely top three of the whole series. SO great. And that takes us up to this week last year, when the s3 break was over. Marginally interesting generally related mostly self-indulgent anecdote: my husband and I (Americans) were in Costa Rica this week last year and he (a tech guy) performed some interesting technology feats to allow us to access our cable at home so we could watch the next episode live. We tried to explain the concept of the show to our hosts (also Americans, but have lived FT in CR for the last 13ish years), and ended up landing on, they're actually finally IN the good place and we don't want to wait until we get home to see what happens.

• Love 1

Chapter 37 - The Book of Dougs
Season 3, Episode 11
January 10, 2019

So, a bit of a bridging episode to the next phase of the show. Also the only episode set in part of the real Good Place and the first actual Good Place inhabitants we see (except, I guess, the woman in Mindy's welcome video).

Gwendolyn's relentlessly cheery and trusting nature is a bit ridiculous, but funny. The Good Place committee members are incredibly annoying as you realize that they're going to be completely useless in actually getting anything done.

I liked the Chidi and Eleanor plotline the most. There were a few funny bits in Tahani trying to figure out what to do with the Janet/Jason situation she finds herself in the middle of, constantly making things worse.

For the podcast Marc interviews  actor William Jackson Harper, Nicole Byer (Gwendolyn), and associate producer Matt Quezada,

• Love 1