Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Rewatch: Season 4 Hiatus edition

BobH

Chapter 38 - Chidi Sees the Time-Knife
Season 3, Episode 12
January 17, 2019

Another one of those jam-packed quick moving episodes where you wonder how it all fits in under 22 minutes.

Loved Jason and Eleanor's high-five on the IHOP slam. Can't wait for a compilation of all the high-fives on the show after the finale.

So much weird stuff in this one, a lot of it enhanced by listening to the podcast and some of the other on-line extras, like the footage of Ted Danson practicing his "backpack kid" dance, or the niednagel, or the significance of the Entourage movie as Shawn's torture of choice for William Shakespeare.

Good to see Mindy again, and newly evolved but still deeply broken Derek.

Michael and Janet rebuilding their neighbourhood is touching.

Vicky impersonating Michael is great, especially knowing where that storyline ends up.

For the podcast, Jason Mantzoukas (he plays Derek) takes over to talk with writer Joe Mande, digital effects supervisor David Niednagel, and actor Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn). It constantly threatens to go off the rails, as you'd expect if you're familiar with Mantzoukas podcasts, but is a lot of fun with a lot of details about writing, filming and special effects on this episode.

• Love 1

Chapter 39 - Pandemonium
Season 3, Episode 13
January 24, 2019

This is a beautiful but heartbreaking way to end a season.

Michael's breakdown and Eleanor's quick thinking with her lies was fun. Especially when she realizes that having Janet be the architect might have made more sense.

Gee, I wonder how someone could make it seem that Tahani was shallow, jealous and "prone to fits of melodrama"?

Eleanor and Chidi's farewell still chokes me up every time, even a year and over a dozen viewings later. I'm glad it's followed up by Eleanor and Janet's long talk, which ends the season on a hopeful note.

And for the season finale we have the usual appearance by show creator and episode director Michael Schur joining Marc Evan Jackson, this time bringing along Ted Danson (he played Becker). Lots of talk about specific influences on scenes in this episode, what the various writers and actors bring to it, and also some of the inside jokes you might have missed.

• Love 1

Hope it's o.k. to post this on here although you haven't got up to episode 4:02 in your rewatch yet.  I rewatched it last night and noted that Brent mentioned that he had a kid ("all that money's going to my dumb kid".)  But we never saw any of the other characters ask him about his kid after that.  I would have thought that having children would make a big difference to how you view a "Good Place" type afterlife, with apparently no prospect of ever seeing them again even when they die, or of finding out how they are getting on without you.  I realise he said "my dumb kid" but that doesn't mean he didn't really love him or her! 

Chapter 40 - A Girl from Arizona Part 1
Season 4, Episode 1
September 26, 2019

And back for the final season. I wasn't as happy with the first half of this season on first viewing, although every episode had some great stuff. It's just hard to get into too much of a focus on the new characters when you want more of the old ones. I like it a lot more in retrospect and rewatching, as you can see what they're laying the track for.

I liked the contrast of the pep talks that Michael and Shawn gave to their people. And of course the "Shup up, Glenn" which would come back to haunt Shawn.

I know it's intentional, but Brent is hard to take on any level. I did like Simone assuming it was all a dying delusion and acting accordingly. We don't see too much of John in this one, but I generally like how his story went. The revelation about Linda was pretty sudden and funny the first time around, and of course now we know a lot more was going on than we saw.

Marc Evan Jackson is joined on the podcast by D’Arcy Carden, Kirby Howell-Baptiste (Simone) and writer Andrew Law.

• Love 1

Chapter 41 - A Girl from Arizona Part 2
Season 4, Episode 2
October 3, 2019

This one always feels a bit oddly paced. I'm pretty sure it was intended to be a double length season opener like they had in previous years, and split in two for some reason.

I liked the return of the chaos sequence, with a Brent flavour. And Brent's conclusion that he belongs in the Best Place is very on brand.

Janet did feel off in this episode, but now we know why.

Chidi getting a happy stomach ache at the information that he and Simone are soulmates is pretty harsh when you think back on what he said on their farewell date.

A heavy backstage look on the podcast this time as Marc Evan Jackson talks with costume supervisor Alexis Jacks, editor Matt Freund and writers’ assistant Dana Sayles.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chapter 42 - Chillaxing
Season 4, Episode 3
October 10, 2019

Man, relaxed Chidi is something to see. Seems almost a shame to foist Jason on him.

It's interesting re-watching this and realizing that "Janet" is sabotaging Tahani's attempts to get through to John.

Pretty low key episode overall, with a cliffhanger ending of a mysterious figure approaching the neighbourhood. I missed it, but someone else pointed out that there was a starbucks coffee cup in the middle of the desert by the train tracks, a nod to one of the GAME OF THRONES goofs from last year.

For the podcast we have Marc (Shawn) talking with Brandon Scott Jones (John) and Anya Adams (director).

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1

Chapter 43 - Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy
Season 4, Episode 4
October 17, 2019

Focus returns squarely onto Team Cockroach for this episode, which pays off a lot of the preceding stuff in the season.

Really does keep you guessing who's on the level, in the best tradition of spy stories that they took the title from.

I like that Eleanor ends up going to Chidi for help out of her dilemma, even without his memory.

And Jason gets to solve the problem and be the hero of the day.

Podcast for this one is Marc talking with Josh Siegal (Glenn), Tom Zawacki from the props department, and writer Cord Jefferson.

• Love 1

Chapter 44 - Employee of the Bearimy
Season 4, Episode 5
October 24, 2019

Opening with Vicky, Janet and Shawn (and a Michael suit) was fun. "It's actually feels more like torture when you discuss your acting process."

Michael and Jason on the rescue mission is great. Jason getting his memories back, with the only thing that sticks being him tossing a Molotov cocktail in the Bad Place. Crashing Demon Con and the whole convoluted thing of Michael pretending to be Vicky playing Michael, Jason pretending to be Glenn playing Jason. 

The storyline back in the neighbourhood didn't work as well, although I liked several of the scenes, including Derek rebooting himself, and Tahani's awkward closing of the curtains. In a lot of ways it really doesn't feel like they know what to do with Tahani in the big picture this season, so I hope she gets something big in the final few episodes.

Podcast for the week is Marc talking with Jameela Jamil and writer Joe Mande.

• Love 1

Chapter 45 - A Chip Driver Mystery
Season 4, Episode 6
October 31, 2019

I liked all the bits with Michael talking to Bad Janet in the void.

But the more I watch it the less I like this episode overall. Brent is just so unlikable, and really John and Simone aren't that much better. I guess that's kind of the point of them, but it's a jarring contrast to the rest of the show. And it's kind of weird to see Chidi punch someone. I guess the whole think was needed to set up Bad Janet and the manifesto, but I think it could have been done better.

"Simone was very mean to me. Maybe even a little racist." Maximum Brent.

Podcast has Marc talking with Ben Koldyke (Brent), writer Lizzy Pace, and director Steve Day

• Love 1

Chapter 46 - Help Is Other People
Season 4, Episode 7
November 7, 2019

And jumping ahead to the end of the experiment. Michael's obsession with stage magic and Jason being constantly impressed by it even in a place where magic literally exists is goofy fun.

Loved Simone's conspiracy board. Makes sense that she'd be the one to figure out something wasn't right.

I knew there would have to be a "This is the Bad Place" and devious laugh somewhere in here, and they didn't disappoint.

Marc is joined on the podcast by Manny Jacinto, writer Dave King, and production assistant Amanda Boisselle.

• Love 1

Chapter 47 - The Funeral to End All Funerals
Season 4, Episode 8
November 14, 2019

I hope for his sake Michael gets the hang of one devastating human comeback before the end. Seems to be a defining characteristic of demons that they can't figure those out.

Ah, the Good Place Committee. "We're willing to give up all of our leverage, compromise, and meet you halfway". Who does that remind me of...

Really liked that we had some reflective time with the main characters at their funerals before all the inevitable chaos breaks out.

Never quite sure what to make of the Judge, as she seems to go from being an ally to Team Cockroach to being the antagonist several times. Swings wildly into the antagonist side in this sequence, which kind of makes me think she'll end up being their main ally before the end. Kind of a Professor Snape thing.

And of course the revolution of the Janets, including Disco Janet.

On the podcast Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn) joins writer Josh Siegal, actress Dana Powell (Paula of the Good Place committee), and set decorator Kimberly Wannop.

Whew!  Quite a sprint there at the end.  One more to go!

Seriously, I'm enjoying the recaps.  Will be fun to go back and read if/when I ever get a chance!  Having very conflicted feelings about the Jeopardy! GOAT tournament overlapping with tonight's episode 😞

(edited)

Chapter 48 - The Answer
Season 4, Episode 9
November 21, 2019

Well, they definitely went into their final hiatus on a high note.

Getting flashbacks to Chidi's whole life is a great way to explain how he got that way, and presumably what he'll do in the few remaining episodes we have.

I liked the mix of old and new scenes from the past. Think they might have set a series record for callbacks.

"Esmerelda, you don't bring knives to a friendly game night. I mean, who does that?"
"The prepared."

How have they kept Esmerelda from us for four seasons? "These trivialities demean me. I must away and tend to my ravens."

The Chidi/Janet scene in the coda to the movie night from "Pandemonium" is just perfect.

And finally we get a new Chidi, a synthesis of over 800 lives and 300 years. Only a few hours until we hopefully find out something about what that means, and the significance of the note.

If I hadn't decided to to a series rewatch, I probably would have watched this one at least a dozen times in the seven weeks they took off, instead of deliberately not watching it no matter how often I was tempted, whenever there was a previous scene they referenced in here. It's very tempting to make up for lost time and watch it 8 more times in the three hours until Chapter 49 starts...

Right now it looks to me like the series is pointing towards some sort of reincarnation scenario, with the emphasis on being able to do better tomorrow than you did today and always improving. On the other hand, given my track record of predicting where they're going to go, that might be the one possibility you can rule out.

And for the podcast, Marc is obviously joined by William Jackson Harper, plus editor Eric Kissack and co-producer Frank Sackett.

tgp48.JPG

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1

I have loved these recaps, and done the rewatch too, even though I don't have much to add to what you've written. It has definitely helped make the time until 8 pm go faster!  (Since November 14 at 9 om, I've been waiting for January 9 at 8!)

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I have loved these recaps, and done the rewatch too, even though I don't have much to add to what you've written. It has definitely helped make the time until 8 pm go faster!  (Since November 14 at 9 om, I've been waiting for January 9 at 8!)

PSA - just making sure y’all realize it’s at 8:30 (ET) tonight. 

I know this was a hiatus rewatch, but it feels a bit odd to leave it four episodes short, so I hope y'all will indulge me.

Chapter 49 - You've Changed, Man
Season 4, Episode 10
January 9, 2020

Loved the various styles of Janet void, along with their individual computing systems (I'm not sure if any computer actually used 8-tracks like in the Disco Janet void). I'm not sure why NBC doesn't already have a Bad Janet Scarface poster for sale...

"I agree. Chidi should hook up with the Judge to get us out of trouble. I've done that a bunch of times. It's called a Jacksonville plea bargain."

Newly confident Chidi, with his many lifetimes fully integrated, is great. Especially his reaction to the Good Place Committee.  And of course we'll know why the Committee is so infuriating in a few weeks.

The Timothy Olyphant guest bit was pretty odd. Still not sure how I feel about it, but there are some very funny bits in there.

I liked Shawn finally, reluctantly, giving in to change.  

"There are still some kinks to work in."
"Out."
"Out. Sorry. Old habits."

Podcast has Marc Evan Jackson talking with Kristen Bell and writer Matt Murray about the episode and the show in general, including Kristen's directorial debut a few episodes earlier, plus the filming time lost thanks to Jason's delivery of the title line of the episode.

tgp49.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 50 - Mondays, Am I Right?
Season 4, Episode 11
January 16, 2020

And back to the Bad Place to begin training for the new system.  Didn't realize until I listened to the podcast that Megan was one of the demons they met at the museum back in season two.

Loved Jason's rattling off of his bizarre choices for "very best people", and Eleanor and Chidi's reaction to it. Interesting that "Wendy from Wendy's" was on the list and Michael later included the "Where's the beef" lady in a list of notable people who passed the test.

That training video, and then Janet and Michael singing... wow. Hope we someday see all the outtakes from that.

Vicky's entrance is great, and she really steals the show this episode.

"Chainsaw Bear!". That one really cracked me up the first time. And then smaller, more relatable Chainsaw Bear with the "Epic Bacon Much" t-shirt.

Jason fooling Chidi to apply his own logic on the Jason/Janet relationship to himself was wonderfully convoluted. "Chess... mate".

And then, the return of the golden balloon to the real Good Place.

Podcast has Marc (he plays Shawn) talking with D’Arcy Carden (she plays Janets), Tiya Sircar (she plays Vicky) and writer Jen Statsky (she plays Susan the restaurant cashier in season one).  Stories about the Janet/Michael song, Vicky's earlier singing number and a generally looser tone as they get close to the end, including a disturbing number of references to Marc as "daddy".

tgp50.JPG

• Love 1

Chapter 51 - Patty
Season 4, Episode 12
January 23, 2020

And we finally get to The Good Place (well, except for the mailroom visit).

Loved how casually Jason hides Michael's weed.

The Jason and Eleanor aspects of the party really do seem to overwhelm the more understated Chidi and Tahani elements.

Knew that Good Place Committee couldn't be trusted, but still surprised by what they did. Loved their whiteboard of ideas, especially "Giant Mini Donuts (not just regular donuts. Dave will explain)".

Lisa Kudrow was a pretty good guest star to pull at this point, especially for someone whose brain is a little mushy. Especially with the on-going joke about Michael's obsession with the show Friends.

And a final afterlife problem for our team to figure out. The solution and how it was presented have been and will continue to be debated for a long time, but after seeing the finale multiple times in the last week, I'm pretty happy with it. Part of me wonders what they would have done if they took a full season to explore and fix The Good Place, but that might have opened up all sorts of other problems.

A very satisfying conclusion to set up a very different denouement for the finale.

And on the podcast with Marc Evan Jackson is producer/director Morgan Sackett and writer Andrew Law (he plays Drew on the Good Place Committee).

tgp51.JPG

The Final Chapter - Whenever You're Ready
Season 4, Episode 13
January 30, 2020

Man, there are a lot of callbacks and references in this episode. Michael recording "attempt #803" was a silly fakeout, and his song lyrics go back to season one.

Doug Forcett replaced on Michael's wall with the four humans is a nice touch. So is having a few of the philosophy consultants for the show in Chidi's class.

Jeff the Doorman is much busier in the new system. Good running bit with him and the frogs in this episode. And there's a niednagel down below the bridge.

I see that they did eventually track down the Good Place Committee and one of them is Joint Council, but didn't get any dialogue.

Jason's story first. His goals to satisfaction were always the simplest. Perfection in his video game, reuniting his dance group and spending time with his friends. And we get young Doug Forcett, Donkey Doug and Pillboi.

Tahani had a lot more goals, but reached them eventually, while waiting to fulfill the most important goals with her family relationships. And then she finds something else to do. Plus we get quick bits with John, Brent, Trevor, Glenn and even Beadie, the Good Place architect who did Mindy's welcome video. Michael giving her his original bowtie and planning to brag about knowing her was the first time I teared up this episode.

Next is Chidi's passage. A few more returnees, with Simone and some of Eleanor and Chidi's Earth friends. This is quite a journey, especially the way it uses some different filming techniques to the standard for the show.  Listen to the podcast for a detailed discussion about the long shot following Eleanor from their house to Michael's office and back, including how they got Janet to appear without the usual cut or effects. Then a trip to Europe for some location filming. I have to skip the final Chidi/Eleanor goodbye most times because it breaks my heart.

Chidi's final scene with Janet is a nice coda, with the way he's immediately able to say he's ready. And bringing Jason back at this point is a masterstroke. It brings some needed levity to the story after some heavy stuff. "Kind of like a monk." "What do you mean?"

And then Eleanor tying up her loose ends. First with Mindy, which also gives us Maximum Maximum Derek, and provides a nice final look at Tahani and Shawn. Finally figuring out what Michael needs. Janet's farewell scene with Michael is a nice endcap to their story, going back to the classic "the reason is friends" scene years ago. And then Janet and Eleanor at the final door, with the scenes of Michael on Earth, appropriately ending with his guitar teacher Mary. And through the door...

Which leads back to Earth, and however you want to interpret the floating lights. A final goofy joke with Michael's human name, "Michael Realman", and a callback to season one and his joy at getting a rewards card, and the final line:

"I'll say this to you, my friend, with all the love in my heart and all the wisdom of the universe. Take it sleazy."

And the podcast is an appropriately long two-part three hour talk with Marc Evan Jackson (he played Shawn) talking with creator/writer/director Mike Schur and producer Drew Goddard. Fascinating stuff, especially on some of the things they took out of the episode or changed late in the production.

And that's the series, until the next of probably many rewatches in the future. 

tgp5212.JPG

tgp5213.JPG

• Love 1
On 2/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, BobH said:

Lisa Kudrow was a pretty good guest star to pull at this point, especially for someone whose brain is a little mushy. Especially with the on-going joke about Michael's obsession with the show Friends.

I feel compelled to comment though that Patty's mush felt nothing like Phoebe's vacancy.