Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Lion's Den

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

letter-c.png

I'm just going to start this by saying, "something felt off".

I don't know what it was...I mean, the ingredients were there for a good episode. The pacing was fine, the characters all hit the right beats and the story choices were all bang-on (except the part about not breaching the house with a baby inside...I'm sure they still could have done it).

Even the characters and the acting were pretty good. I mean, this should be a stellar episode.

...but it's not.

I guess this is the part where the series has hit a funk and things start to get a little tired.

The case itself? Little more than the standard "main character as a hostage" episode that has no meaning because we know Robert Hicks is making it out alive since it's not the season-ender.

Hondo and his love life? Been there, done that. So Nichelle is playing "hard to get"...c'mon, this is Hollywood...when has there ever been any mystery surrounding the "getting" part?

It also feels like a retread of Nia Wells, a storyline done much better because Nikivia Dionne was much better. I miss her.

What about Chris' struggles? Lina Esco does forlorn very well, I'll admit...but it feels like it's time for something new. If she's not pining for her lost dog, she's pining for Street or pining for Kira or another woman or man she'll never have...it's overkill at this stage. She needs a new story...or a happy relationship at this point. Even if her and Street are endgame...we should at least see her happy for once.

...and Papa Harrelson? There really feels like only two directions for his story to go- he's terminal so his kids will have to come to grips with all the pain he's caused them against the realization that he's their dying father...or, his cancer is not terminal so he'll have all the time to redeem himself.

Which probably should have been his story all along...no need to throw in a health scare.

If there was a silver lining...no Piper Lynch to drag down the episode with her blandness. Which makes me miss Stephanie Sigman even more...talk about your wasted talents. This show really misses the edge and the intensity she brings every scene.

Maybe that's what's missing...someone that can really bring the fire (and I don't mean the literal one in this episode). S.W.A.T. badly needs a spark- but where is it going to come from?

• Love 1

A propane tank in LA?  Really? 

Hondo’s Dad holds no interest for me.    I do like his new love interest though. 

I agree that Chris needs to revamp her life.  She makes choices guaranteed to make her unhappy.  It’s as if she wants to be unhappy.  

Is Kenny Johnson going through some personal troubles or an injury? He's had a limited role this season, outside of Luca's food truck idea. They keep throwing around the Luca is injured or reinjured something. And he wasn't even in this episode. I hope the actor is OK.

16 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Is Kenny Johnson going through some personal troubles or an injury? He's had a limited role this season, outside of Luca's food truck idea. They keep throwing around the Luca is injured or reinjured something. And he wasn't even in this episode. I hope the actor is OK.

Don't know what happened, but there is good news:

• Love 1

I've actually been happy that at least with this turn in Chris' relationship that Deac was her sounding board and that Annie was there for her as well. It really left a bad taste in my mouth after their judgment, so them coming through for her when she needed them was great. 

But yes, I really hope Chris has a chance to be happy for five minutes. Sometimes in certain series, there's one character who has bad thing after bad thing happen to them. She needs a real win here.

• Love 1