Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Whereabouts of His Left Arm -The Struggle for Trost, Part 5

Captain Levi and Haga clean up some leftover Titans. Eren half remembers how he transformed into a titan and deals with the fallout of being a titan. Thousand yard stare guy is back from cowering in full force! As TYS guy orders his man to fire, Eren remembers his father's words.

Cool episode. I think the Japanese version of Eren in the titan's stomach is creepier. At least the English version lets you listen to the cool music. The first time I saw this ep, I honestly thought that Hannes (the guy who save Eren and Mikasa from the Smiling Titan) was dead.

Haga is a strange one. Guess they'll go with a female interpretation. On that note, I consider myself a mix of Levi, Sasha and Haga in real life. Its not nearly as cool as it sounds. Heh.

(edited)

Freddie Mercury titan enters.

Freddie Mercury titan exits.

30lkwm1.jpg

I appreciate the fact that the military was afraid of Eren because it makes sense. In other series, they would already be trying to use his titan form, as the recruits did. That fugue state and declaring he would kill them all did Eren no favors, either. But, hey, that was a great time to remember his dad pumping him full of something very secret and special and telling him, "Get thee to the cellar!" 

Oh, and I noticed "Freckles" in the credits. I see what you did there, FUNi.

Haga is a strange one. Guess they'll go with a female interpretation.

The whole "is Zoe male or female" question really annoys me, and I think it points to Isayama's inexperience as a writer. Early in the manga, Zoe is clearly drawn as female. As I understand the debate, it's only when fans started asking whether the character was female or not that Isayama started being coy and drew Zoe with a flatter chest. The character is female in the anime, so the director seems to be going with Isayama's original interpretation. You're the writer, Isayama. You don't have to cater to fans.

I guess it bugs me so much because of Zoe's role and the gender equality Isayama has established in this military. Switching Zoe from female to "who knows?" does a disservice to the character and Isayama's worldbuilding.

Edited by the fresh maker
  • Love 1

Good episode.

What was the deal with the Engineering Corps building a wall out of Titans?

So has Eren always had the key? Obviously he didn't remember his Dad's words until now.

Nope, I mentioned in the speculation thread that Eren's dad left with the key! That means he came back at some point after his wife had died.

I think they (Engineering Corps) were using whatever was on hand.

What was the deal with the Engineering Corps building a wall out of Titans?

I thought titans disintegrated after being killed and could rapidly regenerate, so that part really didn't make sense to me.

That means he came back at some point after his wife had died.

They showed in episode 2 that Eren met up with his Dad at some point after Wall Maria was breached. I think this was the first time they established he had the key. It seems like it would be a hard thing to forget as it was apparently around his neck.

Looking at the episode again, it appears that the defenders put a spiked grid over the hole in the wall, and the Titans are getting stuck on it. They're acting as sort of living shield. Here's a picture.

I'm beginning to suspect that the Titans do get something out of eating people, something other than normal sustenance. Maybe it's necessary to make more Titans? I dunno. I have no real evidence for any of this.

I also wonder if the Titans are nature's way of getting even with mankind for something or other. The fact that they don't eat animals is what made me think of it.

Freddie Mercury titan enters.

Freddie Mercury titan exits.

You too, the fresh maker? I blame my time watching Cromartie High School for making that connection right away.

Are there any fathers in anime who don't harbor dangerous secrets? "Hi, Eren. Listen, I'm going to give you a key and inject you with Titan Juice, so try not to remember all this until you need to do so. That's a good boy."

Just so I'm clear, Zoe is the crazy one with Levi, yes? I don't see any gender ambiguity with her . . . though my "go-to" for that is Crona from Soul Eater. That was a tough nut to crack.

• Love 1