Type keyword(s) to search

Repeat Offenders: Actors Recycled Over and Over Again on CI...

(edited)

I figured this was worthy of its own thread as we have mentioned Jay O. Sanders, David Harbour, and Carrie Preston, just three examples of actors who have appeared on CI again and again as different people.

Any other actors who had made "recycling" an art form? Talk about 'em all here!

I recall another myself: Noelle Beck (mainly known as a soap actress) appeared in "Tomorrow" in Season 2 as the "wicked stepmonster" who was suspected of having offed both of her stepkids so her daughter would inherit everything (although it turned out to be a tag team by sister-nannies).

Fast forward to S10, and she played Debra Bryte, long-suffering wife of Jay Mohr's Charlie Sheen-esque (at least the crazy version of him!), Nyle Brite in "Rispetto".

Edited by WendyR72

I was thinking about Noelle Beck yesterday because I saw her in two different L&Os. On SVU in "Bang" as Dr. Audrey Shelton, "Entitled" as Stephanie Mulroney. She was also in an episode with Kyle MacLaughlin as his wife, he's running for office and their son is killed in a park where gay men meet. It was a recent episode but I couldn't find it on IMDB. I think she has been used on more L&O episodes than anyone else as a guest star, not a recurring character.

I'd love to know who's played the most different characters on the various L&Os. Noelle is my pick as front-runner, but there must be others who come close.

That'd be one hell of a guessing game since there are 3 L&O shows to go through!

Heh. CI doesn't have the monopoly on this. Perry Mason did it first, and then of course, the mothership, as well.

Yeah, I know. :-)  It also happened a lot on '80s shows. Speaking of '80s shows, I used to watch/like Hunter. (Don't judge me!) And Dann Florek was on a S4 episode with still not a lot of hair, but what he did have was dark...and he was a bad guy! Dun, dun, dun! The late Charles Hallahan, who played the captain from S3 on, also appeared on the Mothership.

But...topic. The L&O franchise really had a stable of actors it seemed to love reusing as much as it could!

• Love 1

That'd be one hell of a guessing game since there are 3 L&O shows to go through!

Yeah, I know. :-)  It also happened a lot on '80s shows. Speaking of '80s shows, I used to watch/like Hunter. (Don't judge me!) And Dann Florek was on a S4 episode with still not a lot of hair, but what he did have was dark...and he was a bad guy! Dun, dun, dun! The late Charles Hallahan, who played the captain from S3 on, also appeared on the Mothership.

But...topic. The L&O franchise really had a stable of actors it seemed to love reusing as much as it could!

I TOTALLY watched Hunter!!!! Loved it!

"It works for me."

Who knew Fred Dryer would turn out to be a decent actor?

Don't forget, Bruce Davison, who played the Captain in the second season, appeared on SVU and the mothership, I think. Don't recall if he ever showed up on CI.

(edited)

Another "repeat offender" I thought of is John Bolger. (Soap watchers may recognize him from Another World and/or General Hospital.) He was in two G/E episodes, and was in a S9 episode.

Per the IMDB, the episodes were "The Pilgrim" all the way back in 2002 (featuring Ryder Strong of Boy Meets World as a suspect) as FBI Agent O'Dell;

"Slither" in 2006 as Russ Corbett, who ends up dead after a party (and his wife ends up in a psychiatric ward) so their place can be looted; and

"Traffic" in 2010 (this episode also featuring Mrs. Michael J. Fox, Tracy Pollan) as magazine editor Connor James, who ends up dead. (The S9 episode.)

Also per the IMDB, he also appeared on the Mothership as two different characters in 2002 and later in 2009.

(Apparently, the actor is the great-nephew of the late Ray Bolger, who played the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz!)

Edited by WendyR72

Found another actress who was recycled on CI during Saturday's marathon. Barbara Garrick. She is best known to soap fans but appeared in two CI episodes: The Good Doctor in S1 (the episode that had Carver playing with knives and verbally shredding the scumbag doctor on the stand) and then playing the widow of the victim in the S5 episode that introduced that teen gambler, Josh (?) (blanking on the episode title now).

Carrie Preston actually guest starred three times. Her first appearance was in "Zoonotic" (season 2) where she was the first victim of that crazy doctor, who poisoned the women he dated. He was in competition with another doctor. The first doctor liked to "watch."  The case was about the crooked cop, who got shot when caught in that thingie at the subway.

Very minor role.

Carrie Preston actually guest starred three times. Her first appearance was in "Zoonotic" (season 2)

I remember "Zoonotic", which was a disturbing episode. But I totally blanked on Carrie Preston being in that one. Good eye!

(edited)

Yeah, @GHScorpiosRule - you are a TV junkie. Making this place the perfect spot.  :-P  In any case, I cannot believe the Mothership/start of the franchise will turn 25 (!) as of next year.

Damn, I'm old.

Edited by WendyR72
  • Love 1

Dennis Paladino (who was in Batman Forever and was on the '90s cop show Silk Stalkings as Donnie "Dogs" DiBarto) was on CI three times/episodes as three different guys.

He was in The Pardoner's Tale (S1 as the guy who threatened the Ledger reporter victim over the phone), My Good Name (S4 as a crime scene cop), and Maltese Cross (S6) as Det. Steve Grubman.

Harvey Atkin, as Judge Ridenour--most of his appearances were on SVU, but he showed up a couple of times on CI...the only one I can think of without looking it up, is "Stress Position", when Carver went to him for the Writ to get into that prison where Bobby and Mike had gone toward the end of the episode.

Someone who was brought up in the Mothership Repeat Offenders thread also belongs here. An actor named Paul Calderon, who appeared in "Legion" in 2003 and "Disciple" in 2010, each as different characters!

• Love 1

Fisher Stevens was on two CI episodes as two different people: The shock jock Ray Garnett in S4 in "Semi Detached" who ended up dead, and a creepy (to me!) book agent named Garrett Sage in "Self Made" in S7.

• Love 1

@Chattygal in the Mothership thread gets credit for this one:

Robert Stanton, who was in a crapload of Mothership episodes was not only in "The Third Horseman" in S1 (which I knew) but also in "Three In One" in S9 (which I didn't!). To be fair, I didn't pay much attention to detail in S9, but add another actor to the recycle pile.  :-)

I was watching The Extra Man today. The enforcer (or whatever they called him) who beat up the victim also played the husband of a woman in a memorable episode. There was something to do with a particular cane.

She had figured out that he was involved in killing her first husband and used the information he learned from spying on them to woo her.

I looked it up. It was Terry Serpico. His other episode was But Not Forgotten. Carrie Diaries fans might know him as Sebastian's dad. Apparently he also made appearances on SVU as different characters so they must really like the actor.

Edited by aradia22

Yeah, he's also been on the other two franchises of Law&Order.

Like I've said before, it seems like if a guest actor made an appearance on one of the L&O shows, there is an unspoken requirement that they must appear on both remaining shows.  :-)

Watching "Country Crossover" now, and Griffin Dunne plays a club owner.. His last CI role was the much more memorable (IMO) role as the sleazy lawyer in "Jones" in Season 1 who killed a bunch of petite girlfriends.

• Love 1

Speaking of Griffin Dunne, I had forgotten he was also in "Blasters" with Logan and Wheeler, so he was in three CI episodes. (Funny how he looks nothing like his late father, Dominick Dunne! The voices are, perhaps, a bit similar.)

Binge-ing the last 2 days, spotted the same actress on Beast as a nurse (quick role) and then as Malcolm McDowells wife in Proud Flesh. Cindy Cheung.  Looks like (of course) she hit the other 2 series as well!

On 5/1/2018 at 2:28 PM, tjsmom said:

Binge-ing the last 2 days, spotted the same actress on Beast as a nurse (quick role) and then as Malcolm McDowells wife in Proud Flesh. Cindy Cheung.  Looks like (of course) she hit the other 2 series as well!

Good eye! That's one actress I completely missed. (Never did understand "Proud Flesh", for that matter. All the stuff with Anna and her former hubby, then all the stuff with her stepsons... Meh.  :-) But Malcolm McDowell plays bastard very well!)

Saw Jenna Stern in one of last night's WE late-night repeats. This was her S4 role in "My Good Name" as the murderous, ambitious campaign manager for Frank Adair. The actress that played Frank's wife, Marie, I actually recognized from the soap Guiding Light. She was the recast of a role played previously by Sherry Stringfield of ER and NYPD Blue fame!

Geoffrey Nauffts is on now in "Maltese Cross". He did a great job as the closeted firefighter that kills his lovers. We all age, but it's kind of trippy to see how much younger he looked in both "Smothered" as Druggie heir Dale van Acker on this show in S1 and especially in "Wages of Love" all the way back in S2 of the Mothership.