Type keyword(s) to search

Pennyworth's Comic Book Origins and Theories About the Show

Bort
  • Start Topic

The depiction of Batman's parents in this show are intriguing. Thomas Wayne is certainly intelligent, but he seemingly has no ability to defend himself/kick ass and take names. Unlike Batman's mom, Martha Kane, who is all sorts of a badass. And super-interested not in Thomas, but Alfred Pennyworth.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:03 PM, Notwisconsin said:

Except for the Barmaid, and Batman's mom, all the titles are singers who made it big on TV (even the Thunderbirds puppet).

I was wondering if the producers had said anything about why all the titles referred to women. Thanks for the info!

Pennyworth Comic Reveals Alfred's Secrets the Show Hasn't Covered

DC will release a seven-issue Pennyworth tie-in comic that further explores Alfred Pennyworth's life before he became Thomas Wayne's butler -- but after the timeframe of the EPIX TV series.

Pennyworth #1 begins a seven-issue series that ties into the TV show, putting Alfred Pennyworth in the middle of Cold War intrigue in Russia.

Pennyworth #1

story by SCOTT BRYAN WILSON

pencils by JUAN GEDEON

inks by JUAN GEDEON

cover by JORGE FORNES

Price: US $3.99 pages: 32

FC|DC On Sale Date: 8/10/21

1 of 7

CARD STOCK OPEN ORDER Variant by JUAN GEDEON........Price: US $4.99

Spanning the years between the hit TV show and today, Pennyworth tells the continuing adventures of Alfred Pennyworth as an MI6 counterintelligence agent—this time in Cold War-era Soviet Russia. When Alfred and his partner receive intelligence that nuclear weapons are being manufactured near the Arctic Circle, they’re off to infiltrate the remote military base to learn more. But things don’t go exactly as planned, and the ramifications of this mission may be more far-reaching than anyone could have guessed, as our present-day butler gets dragged back into his past...

PW-Cv1-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=1138&

I'm hate watching at this point. I'm guessing it's an alternate timeline? And I did read recently it's supposed to tie into GOTHAM. 

I guess every woman Alfred meets wants to sleep with him. It's really tiresome. And I like my Alfred with an RP accent...none of this Cockney. Although hearing Cockney rhyming slang in some of the dialogue is kind of amusing.

I really have a tough time reconciling this with the previous backstory for Alfred and Bruce's parents. 

Just had a couple of questions about the timeline portrayed in the story. It's clearly post-war Britain oh, maybe early 60s in the beginning? Now we seem to have moved to the early 70s. Especially in the first two seasons of the show, England is significantly smaller then the classical 'Great Britain' I'm used to. In this world, did the Allies defeat the 4th Reich?  The Soviet Union exist? Bond style derring-do would be one of the dominant thematic elements of a story set in this time, but none here. Just wondering how much the DC version of History differs from the real thing.