Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We're Expecting (Great Conversations)

• Start Topic

Okay, I was going through this thread with older posts from fall 2018.  Someone there mentioned all these Teen Mom Youtube videos:  "A Day in My Life."  So, last night (I was bored, please don't judge me) I looked again.  I was stunned, like jaw dropping.  Girls are 15 (FIFTEEN!!!) and have an 8 month old baby.  They chatter away, talking about how "I got pregnant RIGHT after I turned 14......."  I am like, for me that would have January of my grade 8 year of junior high.  That is ridiculous.   This same girl came back, all happy as a clam (are clams truly happy?) to say, "Yeah well I need to re-shoot my video as I did not like my grammar the first time.  That is what you are embarrassed by?  Another one was:  "Good Morning!!  Actually, it is not morning, it is 11am.  Time for breakfast."  She then spent, what seemed to me, an eternity doing her daughter's hair, then went to the pool for a few hours, then came home and ate dinner and went to bed.  What in the holy hell is going on, lol???  The home she lived in had to her parent's home, it very plush.

Am I an old fogey?  Am I, at age 54, an old lady?  To I have to shoo kids off my lawn now?  Am I mortified that out young women of today, who could be doing so many productive things with their lives, are choosing to film themselves talking about how they lost their virginity, IN DETAIL, and seemingly proud that they boned for weeks and oops now I am pregnant, all while laughing? And uploading it to youtube for everyone and Jesus to see?  Do I need to start day drinking?

Phew - that was a lot to unpack, thank you for reading.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

@Mrs. Hanson these are not “young women of today”. You witnessed a very small subset of society, which looks bigger than it is because the internet gives everyone who wants one a GIANT LOUD SPEAKER to express their opinion and film their stupidity. If there are teens/adults who think it’s a good idea to film the rape and torture of other people, I am not surprised that there are teens that think such a video is okay. 

On Unexpected all of these couples have been peer relationships, but a large number of young teens have been raped and impregnated by adult men- this shit need to stop right now. If a young girl is given the message that her sexuality is all she is worth, and the best thing she will do in life is procreate, I’m not going to condemn her for buying into that at 14 years old. I feel for her. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Mrs. Hanson these are not “young women of today”. You witnessed a very small subset of society, which looks bigger than it is because the internet gives everyone who wants one a GIANT LOUD SPEAKER to express their opinion and film their stupidity. If there are teens/adults who think it’s a good idea to film the rape and torture of other people, I am not surprised that there are teens that think such a video is okay. 

On Unexpected all of these couples have been peer relationships, but a large number of young teens have been raped and impregnated by adult men- this shit need to stop right now. If a young girl is given the message that her sexuality is all she is worth, and the best thing she will do in life is procreate, I’m not going to condemn her for buying into that at 14 years old. I feel for her. 

I agree with everything you said.  I did not mean to imply that the 14 year olds who do this are the majority.  I work in education and the majority of teen girls are very driven.

And amen to the giant loudspeaker comment, because it is very true.

• Love 2

Mrs Hanson, I tried to quote what you wrote in another thread about the puppies, but my iPad seized up.  

Anywho, I just want to thank you for pointing that out.  Animal abuse puts you in another category of scumbag for me.  There's not very much bad I wouldn't wish on McKayla for doing this (and anyone can feel free to use their imagination, because I am going there in my mind--Medieval, the whole nine yards).  Also, anyone enabling this behavior, like Caelen, belongs in that Medieval place in my mind.  Anyone saying he's going to be "hot" when he grows up?  Animal abuse is not hot.  Neither is being 19 years old and bawling your eyes out on TV week in, week out, for that skank.  And the images for this?  Are preserved forever.  So anyone who wants to look at Caelen as a potential date/mate in 16 years, good luck.  He'll probably have a good handful of more kids.  I think anyone who knows McKayla is keeping giant puppies (bigger than many dogs) all together in the same crate is culpable, including the cast and crew, and I think I'm going to do some research tomorrow at work and possibly make a telephone call to the Salem, Ohio municipal authority about what the fuck is going on here, because it's a disgrace to humankind that they'd treat animals that way.

Her kids should be taken away and put up for adoption IMO.  Shannon's children--likely same.  Grandpa Tim and his meek wife have no business raising children.  They suck at it.  See, McKayla and Shannon.

-----------------------------------------------------

I never got the impression that you were implying that the majority of 14 year old pregnant girls were doing this or that.  What I read was that you went to an Unexpected-supported website and you were reporting on the activities going on there, which are--these are my words--pretty disgusting.

I also want to say I agree with what you say about glamorizing the teenaged pregnancy phenomenon here and in the other thread.  I'll watch, cause it's like looking at a car wreck, but it's disgraceful.  (If I considered myself responsible for the events that occcured on the reality TV I watched, well, I've watched COPS a time or two, so lock me up!) Oh well.  It doesn't take away from individual responsibility.   I don't care as much about the teen moms, but what about the children?  There are so many statistics out there about how much more likely a child born to a teenaged mother is going to be at a disadvantage in a myriad of ways.  Yes, for God's sake, put them up for adoption so they have a chance, and maybe you have half a chance as the adoptive mom, if you go on with your life and don't fall into the same dumb traps!

(Since rape was brought up, I include rape victims into this analysis of course as far as the choices they face upon realization that they are pregnant.  The only thing I will moderate for rape victims is that it's not self-evident that they fell into "dumb traps."  Rapists need to go away to jail for very long periods, and I have nothing against chemical castration for them, but their victims also have choices to make.  The National Institute of Health (whose data-collecting methods are likely flawed in the direction of inflating the rate of pregnancies borne out of rape, but I'll take them at face value for the purposes of this discussion) reports that 5% of pregnancies are conceived out of rape. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248 That is one in 20.  Since there is no indication that any of the pregnancies featured on this show was a product of rape, going forward, I am going to put them in the category of the other 19 out of 20 who got pregnant through their own choices so I am even more appalled at their behavior.)

Just my armchair reassurance--you're not old for having these beliefs.  I'm young enough to be your daughter, but I have read the data, and the data show that teenage pregnancy and poverty, just to use one example, go hand in hand.  Why would a rational society encourage that or try to normalize that?  I have my suspicions, but I've said enough for now!

Edited because:  I have misstated a fact here before, so I thought it would be prudent to include a link to my statistic while I worked on my rehabilitation 🙂 

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Added link
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

I was a former child protection investigator for over three decades

Is it "automatically" child neglect, like along the lines of statutory rape, which is based on the existence of certain facts?  That's what your statement sounds like--something that is in and of itself actionable, and that's not what I gathered from poking around various statutes.  That's why I asked.

Most states include in the definition of neglect failure to provide adequate or necessary food, clothing, or shelter.  Not all states include providing appropriate supervision in the definition, which is where I would think allowing your child to have sex in your house would fall.  And the parent's action has to risk harm to the child's health or welfare.

It sounds like allowing your child to have sex in your house is the same as any number of things parents do, and would have to be considered in light of the entirety of the situation.  It doesn't look to me like CPS would have cause to take a kid out of a house based solely on the parent letting the kid have sex in the house.  But none of my knowledge is boots-on-the-ground, so I welcome correction.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:29 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

It sounds like allowing your child to have sex in your house is the same as any number of things parents do, and would have to be considered in light of the entirety of the situation.  It doesn't look to me like CPS would have cause to take a kid out of a house based solely on the parent letting the kid have sex in the house.  But none of my knowledge is boots-on-the-ground, so I welcome correction.

Not all cases result in child being taken out of the home. Neglect based on “threatened sex abuse” falls under neglect.   There would be intervention followed by services. 

There would also be a report regarding the parents of the young man/boy who is not living at home. Parents are not allowed to stop caring for their minor children. If foster care is needed due to parents not providing a safe home, the cost of foster placement will be placed on the parents. You would be surprised how many parents change their minds about providing a home once they find out they have to pay. 

• Useful 2

I don't know...I looked at a bunch of states' statutes concerning sexual abuse of children, and I didn't see anything that would indicate that allowing your kid to have sex in your house meets that definition.  Instead, "sexual abuse" is couched in terms of engaging in sexual contact with the child, causing the child to engage in sexually explicit conduct, exposing the child to sexually explicit conduct--that sort of thing. 

I still don't see anything that says "If a parent allows a minor child to have sex with someone in their home it is considered child neglect."  It might be one element in an overall pattern of behavior that could establish child neglect by virtue of lack of supervision (if a state's statute includes lack of supervision in the definition of child neglect), but I don't see how it could be considered either threatened or actual sexual abuse, since generally, sexual abuse involves exploitation.

• Love 1