Type keyword(s) to search

What Rocked, What Sucked: Best and Worst Episodes...

(edited)

Just what the title says!

One I liked early on in S1 was "The Third Horseman", the anti-abortion killer episode, maybe because it is such a gray topic, and I like that it is among the first instances of Goren/Eames giving brief glimpses of their personal beliefs while not browbeating the audience of what was right and wrong.

I have a huge love/hate deal for "Blind Spot". I like that Bobby showed he wasn't invincible once Alex was kidnapped and liked that Alex actually saved herself, but I hate that Warren Leight even went there to begin with. (It seemed to be a testing ground for Leight since he seems to torture Olivia Benson on SVU now every week.)

As for "Frame", it had soap elements, but VDO killed it. And I did like Eames having Goren's back. I also liked "Lady's Man" and "Amends", since it went both ways, and Bobby supported Alex, too.

One non-G/E episode that was well done but almost hard to watch was "Senseless" with Logan/Falacci, when those three people were executed in the park. It was too real, and I almost thought the female twin would make it, so it just seemed to double the tragedy when she died in surgery. Liked Logan mouthing off at Ross, too.

The worst?

While well acted, "The War At Home" was just too damned depressing. Bobby's mom, as I've said, should've remained a peripheral presence, not swallowed him whole.

That holds for "Endgame", too. Could it be anymore soapy? Bobby, your daddy wasn't really a drunk adulterer! No, he was...dun, dun, dun...A SERIAL KILLER! Please. I thought Roy Scheider was a wonderful actor and acted the hell out of Mark Ford Brady, but REALLY? (At least RS/VDO had a minuscule resemblance versus VDO/Rita Moreno.) And then in the following season with Ross accusing Goren of being a killer because his sperm donor was...just ridiculous.

One S9 episode I caught was "Pasimplest" or whatever it was. Zack Nichols and some mentally ill woman he knew in a mansion with voice over and no real throughline. It was like (I'd assume, never did it) some acid trip that made its way to the screen. (Then again, I think S9 was an experiment to try to make it quirky to match Nichols. And it failed spectacularly.)

What are some of your best and worst?

Edited by WendyR72

I don't remember episode names, so bear with me...

The very first episode sort of shocked me into loving this show. Lots of killin' goin' down in that one.

I disliked anything Jeff Goldbloom did, but one episode wasn't bad. He played the piano a lot, and read the poem to suck that woman into a confession.

Logan's girlfriend getting murdered was a favorite of mine that he was in.

Season 8 never happened, and season 5 not much better

I really liked "Lady's Man" in S8, so I can't completely get on board there. (And hey, it was that episode that likely got Raul Esparza his SVU gig!) I also liked "Family Values" in S8, with the dad that offs his family to bring them to heaven.

As for S5, it has "Wee Small Hours" which, to me, was awesome, so...yeah.  :-)

• Love 1

What was the episode where the prison guards were working for the mob and beating/killing prisoners? The ending was hilariously bad IMO. Goren, Eames, Logan, and someone else I can't remember face-off with the 4 corrupt guards during a lockdown. Logan grabs a night stick, ready to get busy (which I loved), then Goren in his all-knowing way, manages to talk down each guard one-by-one.

It wasn't Eames, it was Gina, the not good enough for Mike Logan girlfriend.  Yes, Spaci, I thought the ending was stupid too.  Sometimes they wrote Goren as if he was the John Boy Walton of the series.  

Sometimes they wrote Goren as if he was the John Boy Walton of the series.  

Oh dear...

Deakins: Good night, Eames.

Eames: Good night, Captain.

Goren: Hey, how do you think that kid is going to turn out, knowing that both of his parents are going to prison?

Eames: Good night, Bobby.

Goren: When you consider the impact of his upbringing, in a household like that, and then you factor in the...

Deakins: (sigh) Good night, Goren.

Goren: Ron, what do you think?

Carver: Good night, detectives.

Goren: I'm just saying, seems like...

Logan: SHADDAP!  TRYING TO SLEEP OVER HERE!

• Love 1

ACK! No, no, no. I know it's heresy, but The Waltons bugged me. Oddly, Goren does not, since it was established on the show he is/was some sort of genius. And he did get his takedown and got shit on, so...

It was never, ever said or even alluded to, but I often wondered if Goren was supposed to have high-functioning Asperger's, as many people with that do have high intelligence, too.

I remember one of the very early episodes when Lenny Briscoe appeared on Criminal Intent:

Police Colleague (dealing with information from a case): "Were going to have to run this by the staff of the Police Commissioner's Office."

Lenny Briscoe: "Those JERKS!!!!!"

That was hilarious!

Briscoe appeared on CI? I don't recall that at all. I do recall Van Buren and Arthur Branch making appearances, though.

Yeah. It was the episode of the woman who killed all those people in the hospital to cover up the murder of her husband. She wanted that baby clothes franchise. Both Brisco and Green appeared for a minute.

(edited)
Yeah. It was the episode of the woman who killed all those people in the hospital to cover up the murder of her husband. She wanted that baby clothes franchise. Both Brisco and Green appeared for a minute.

Oh, wow. Now I have a very hazy memory of it. Can't believe I forgot Briscoe and Green appearing. Oh, well. LOL.

Edited by WendyR72