Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Devil's Cut

• Start Topic

I'm glad that Sig's wife's scan turned out so well.  I'm also glad that she gave him a kick in the butt and got him moving the boat to where there were actually crab.

Jeeze, Nick isn't one of my favorites on the show largely because of his odd relationship with Wild Bill but this has been a rough trip for him.  The foot was something that he could have compensated for and kept going.  That arm looks bad.  Hopefully it's just a badly pulled muscle, but his inability to even slightly use his arm looks really bad.

I'm actually paying attention to the Cornelia Marie recently now that a certain co-captain isn't getting the screen time.  Felt bad for the poor engineer receiving Casey's ministrations there on the mess table, but watching the other two deck hands was hilarious.  NOTHING was coming between them and their spaghetti, even the fact that the red sauce looked a bit like what was going on on their colleague's finger.   Dinner's done, time for some gawking, which made it time for Casey to throw them out of the room.   Casey's attempts at humor were weak, but I think they were supposed to distract the guy.  I do have a strong suspicion that he won't be able to bend that finger as well as before after Casey sewed him up while watching a YouTube tutorial.  

• Love 1

I can't help it - ever since I learned (here) that Edgar actually was on the boat, most of my Northwestern viewing becomes "try to spot Edgar."  Think I caught him a couple of times - he and Sig's son in law were wearing different color coats, and you could see a non-Matt, non-Nick, non-Norm guy from time to time in the action shots (judging by height/build). 

It's a damn shame that working into Sig's calculations vis a vis his wife's illness had to have been "if I go, do we send the boat out with Edgar and the show has to lie about it, or we pretend Norm is running it and don't show Edgar still, or do I actually tie up the boat and go home?"

If Edgar were not persona non grata on television, it would have been an obvious decision to say "I'm flying home, I'll be back for the next trip if things are well." (Unless he's also persona non grata for driving the boat now as well, which is also entirely possible)

• Love 3
17 hours ago, kassa said:

It's a damn shame that working into Sig's calculations vis a vis his wife's illness had to have been "if I go, do we send the boat out with Edgar and the show has to lie about it, or we pretend Norm is running it and don't show Edgar still, or do I actually tie up the boat and go home?"

If Edgar were not persona non grata on television, it would have been an obvious decision to say "I'm flying home, I'll be back for the next trip if things are well." (Unless he's also persona non grata for driving the boat now as well, which is also entirely possible)

Agreed.  It's better to work out something like the Monty and Keith did to keep the boat fishing while you're dealing with a family emergency.   The boat is how you and everyone around you makes money to do things like pay insurance premiums and bills, as well as the other costs associated with living.  

I think in this case, Sig was really thrown off his game.  His wife is his rock, from what we've seen.  There were test results imminent and the outcome of the that would then drive their decision making.

I'm really angry at Edgar on many many levels, first and foremost for what he did to that girl.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, kassa said:

I can't help it - ever since I learned (here) that Edgar actually was on the boat, most of my Northwestern viewing becomes "try to spot Edgar."  Think I caught him a couple of times - he and Sig's son in law were wearing different color coats, and you could see a non-Matt, non-Nick, non-Norm guy from time to time in the action shots (judging by height/build). 

I was pretty sure that it was Edgar we saw at the railing in one shot.  Granted, the shot was from a distance but that was Edgar and his stance and throw.  

I think if Sig had flown home, they would have used footage of Mandy at the helm.  I am glad that the news from June wasn't bad and she reminded Sig that too many people rely on him and the NW for their living.  She really is Sig's rock and he is really lucky to have found her.

• Love 3

I am happily stunned.  This is as meat and potatoes/matter-of-fact as this show ever gets.  Enough was enough!  We didn't get embellishments of standard trials and tribulations.  Yay!

That Marine on the Brenna A is getting an all-time tongue bath for a Greenhorn.  I don't think he has much of a future as a crabber, though, if he has back issues right out of the gate.  I love his attitude and wish him well.

This is the Wild Bill I always insisted was the real Wild Bill.  When he had a crew giving a proper effort, he supported them.  "Showing the flag" on deck was excellent.  He clearly has his charges' respect.  So much said and not a word spoken.  To me, that's the best of this show.

Seeing that pretender Josh enjoying so much harvesting success while we saw other seamen being injured and nearly injured brought out anger in me.  There was nothing wrong with it from a TV POV.  That was a true piece of the story.  

What was perhaps the best part of the presentation was giving June the respect she was given.  She demonstrated a Nordic stoicism and strength and was not about seeking props.  That was the edit Disco gave her and the situation.  Kudos to all and best wishes to June and the Hansens.

I don't dare to hope more of what we got in this ep.  Having said that, Disco and all concerned get a well deserved tip o' the cap from me for this one.   

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

That Marine on the Brenna A is getting an all-time tongue bath for a Greenhorn.  I don't think he has much of a future as a crabber, though, if he has back issues right out of the gate.  I love his attitude and wish him well.   

Seeing him enjoying himself in the wheelhouse made me wonder if he has a back injury or a "back injury".

• Love 2