Type keyword(s) to search

Ambitions - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Late-night soap opera currently airing on the OWN.

The drama series “explores the sexy, deceitful machinations of love, power and politics in America’s hottest urban mecca, Atlanta, Georgia.” The cast includes Will Packer, Robin Givens, Essence Atkins, Brian White, Kendrick Cross, Brely Evans, and Erica page.

Ambitions premieres on OWN on June 18th at 10 p.m. ET/PT. 

Ambitions  OWN

I tuned into this for Robin Givens.  The dialogue isn't Tyler Perry-horrible, but some of it was clunky.  Then again, much of it what I thought was cringeworthy was delivered by Brian White and Brely Evans.  They seem to be the weakest links among an otherwise good cast. 

I didn't expect to see Gino Anthony Pesi in this, so he was a nice bit of eye candy despite being a villain.  The man playing Purifoy looked so familiar to me, but I couldn't place him.  Another surprise upon research that it was Brian Bosworth, who I don't recall seeing since the early 90s, maybe? Talk about a random casting. He looks older than his mid-50s to me - closer to mid-60s. 

Essence Atkins was killing it in her evening gown at that party! I feel like I'm gonna dislike her husband, despite his legitimate trust issues.  I'm sure the show will have his infidelity "justified" if he goes there, whether with Robin or Purifoy's thristy wife. 

• Love 2

Robin Givens is a little too old for the role she is playing, but I think it is a role that she really wanted to play. He role on Riverdale was getting squeezed out due to her daughter deciding to leave the show, so she probably jumped at the chance to be a headliner.  I am guessing the guy that Amara Hughes (Essence Atkins) slept with in Savannah, will be making his way to Atlanta to help Stephanie Carlisle Lancaster (Robin Givens) torture Amara. Really Evan Lancaster (Brian J. White), do you really think Bella Tru's kid is yours?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Was I the only one that thought it was a little weird for a mother and father to play Twister with there 17 year old daughter. Especially since it ended in a make out session.

Lori Purifoy and Carly Lancaster are they supposed to be the same age? It seems weird that one is in college and the other is head of the advertising department of her father's company. Did Lori Purifoy not go to college before starting her job?

It would be funny if the punk goth kid that Titus and Amara's daughter is dating turns out to be the son of somebody really powerful, like the Governor.

• Love 1

I like when they show the characters fantasies, then show you what is actually happening, it provides extra shock valve and keeps you on your toes.

I like that the keep the scenes short, it really helps to move the story along. That scene with Stephanie Carlisle Lancaster and her daughter Carly on the stairs went on for way too long. 

Sometimes the dialogue is a bit clunky and it doesn't appear that they reshoot the scenes when the actors flub their lines. That scene with Stephanie Carlisle Lancaster and Evan Lancaster, Senior had a few strange word combinations.

Jamey Giddens (formerly?) from the website Daytime Confidential created this.  Not surprised it sounds OTT, he is a fan of Ron Carlivati and camp in general.

I heard the OWN posted the first four episodes on YouTube, I have to check them out.  I hope the entire series eventually ends up on Netflix or Hulu, we don't get OWN anymore.

4 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I heard the OWN posted the first four episodes on YouTube, I have to check them out.  I hope the entire series eventually ends up on Netflix or Hulu, we don't get OWN anymore.

"I heard the OWN will post the first four episodes on YouTube." This is what seems to be happening since I saw the 3 episodes on YouTube that have aired, the 4th will probably be posted after it airs.

Stephanie is out of control.  Has anyone ever considered psychiatric help?

I didn't know Stephanie & Evan had another child (Trey).

Everyone's blaming Peters but it's probably Stephanie's momma who ordered the hit.

How is the Corazon dude involved in the kidnapping of Bella's kid? And she's a pretty crappy mom to be having sex with some guy she just met while her toddler is in the other room.

2 hours ago, drivethroo said:

How is the Corazon dude involved in the kidnapping of Bella's kid?

I don't think he is, I think it is just Bella's friend/model. She will stay close to Bella's side to make sure they don't try any funny business.

2 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Everyone's blaming Peters but it's probably Stephanie's momma who ordered the hit.

Or Peters' crazy cousin, she looks like she is trying to get the diner deal asap. Killing the owner may make it even harder to sell since they have to figure out who owns it now.

Stephanie mom makes sense now.  The grimy cousin comes to town talking about Senior owes my daddy 50K with interest.  Now after the reading of the will cousin gets controlling interest of the diner.  How convenient for the Carlisle family!! 

7 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

Stephanie mom makes sense now.  The grimy cousin comes to town talking about Senior owes my daddy 50K with interest.  Now after the reading of the will cousin gets controlling interest of the diner.  How convenient for the Carlisle family!! 

I think the cousin got a third of the restaurant, which would make her equal partners with Rondell and Evan. I am not sure how the Will could be fake, unless Senior's Will was drawn up by the Carlisle's law firm.

How can Stephanie be so mad at Evan for sleeping with somebody else, when she's sleeping with other people as well.  Stephanie really didn't know, Evan has been sleeping with multiple women, including doing some light bondage for years and she didn't suspect/notice anything not even bruises, whip or handcuff marks?

Too bad Amara didn't snap a picture of Stephanie in her undies with Titus in the background. That would have come in handy in a number of ways. Did Titus actually say that he slept with Stephanie that time Amara saw them together? There are so many fantasy sequences, I have trouble knowing what happened any more, but I like them and they really set the show apart from other TV shows.    

On 7/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, TVForever said:

Sadly, I'm having the exact opposite reaction. I think I'm out...

I tried the pilot episode of this when it came up as a recommendation. Ouch. The contrast between the competent acting and the bad acting is hard to watch. Then there is the dialogue. All of the dialogue feels like the bastard stepchild of exposition and an eighties night time soap and none of it feels like something even a high camp cliche would say. I came to see if anyone else felt the same.