Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Season 3

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments Season 3. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I actually found some insightful moments out of Jay's episode. It was interesting to see Jerry's edit of both the Letterman and Leno episodes juxtaposed against one another. Leno by the end of the Tonight show was insufferable, it was pandering material to a demographic. I'm disappointed that he compromised so much for the sake of the show because he still at times displays razor sharp comic wit.

2 moments in the past year stand out for me. Before the James Franco Roast last year, Natasha Leggero was on the show, and Jay invited her to do some roast jokes of him. He had quick comebacks that were sharp and focused. Second, he was on Ferguson last year and Cameron Esposito was the comedian that night. Her bit had some Leno jokes included and Jay played along and gave her some business back. Both clips are worth checking out.

But back on the season. The Louis CK episode was fantastic, the animated story had me in stitches.

Even in the depths of their conflict David Letterman always said that Jay Leno USED TO be a brilliant standup comic.  Like a lot of comedians he linked that to a somewhat damaged personality, but in Leno's case that damage didn't result in fuel for further comic brilliance, but rather in him compromising for his success to the extent where he came to represent total crap.

It's telling that when Leno has guested on other talk shows, IMO he's been several times funnier than he was on any Tonight Show appearance he did in the past decade. To be totally fair, his Comedians In Cars appearance was in line with that--funnier than he usually is.

One thing that always reflected badly on Leno was that he didn't carry on Carson's tradition of allowing The Tonight Show to be a habitat/opportunity for upcoming standups.  I'm sure over the years he had a bunch, but it didn't seem part of his core, the way you'd think it would have been as a standup himself.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the Leno episode. Partly because Seinfeld and Leno thoroughly enjoyed each other. But also in large part because Leno was funny.

And I say that as one who is in complete agreement that Leno was the opposite of comedy as host of The Tonight Show. But now that that's over, he can go back to being who he is. And who he is, is a smart, funny guy.

I don't see wasted opportunity. I see new opportunity.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3
On 9/18/2014 at 9:14 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the Leno episode. Partly because Seinfeld and Leno thoroughly enjoyed each other. But also in large part because Leno was funny.

Agreed, the Leno episode was actually one of my favorites.  Especially considering it I only watched it to see Leno drink coffee for the first time.  I have to agree with Jerry, you're not going to "get" coffee from just trying it once.  Personally, I can't stand coffee with milk in it, I just like a bit of sweetener.  Maybe Jay should have tried it black.

Jay was entertaining, and it was nice to see their camaraderie.  And Jay being apologetic for not fighting harder to get Jerry on the show when Seinfeld first started out.

I liked Jay’s episode, but then again I have always thought Jay has gotten a bad rap for the Tonight Show gig.  He has been clear that he has always held two jobs and only spends the money from his stand up gigs.  I don’t think he missed an opportunity.  On The Tonight Show, he played to that demographic.  On stage I assume he reverts back to himself an he considers that his true job and livelihood.

My favorite exchange was Jay saying he doesn’t have any addictions and Jerry reminding him of his car collection.  The apology was sweet, as was the tone in Jerry’s voice that sounded like “Oh my goodness, I can’t believe you have been worried about that for this long.”  Jay’s Sinatra story was crazy.

• Love 1