Type keyword(s) to search

Five Feet Apart (2019)

IWantCandy71
  • Start Topic

I'm so sick of Hollywood thinking they have to drop the F bomb in every single movie-not once, but twice (that used to get you a R rating, BTW-don't know what happened to change that). 

And that's really the only thing worth commenting on, on this travesty. Hollywood also thinks it's hip, cool and edgy to have a mouthy, completely unsympathetic(even with her illness, I borderline hated her) female lead. I really did not like the character of Stella. At all. Selfish heifer doesn't even begin to cover it.

Cole Sprouse has grown into a handsome guy, and he shows some promise as an adult actor, but he has horrible taste in scripts, and/or he needs to fire his agent. I get that I am not the target audience for this movie, and maybe you have to be a giggly teenage girl to not hate this schlock. I am just glad I saw it first because now I know to refuse to take my teenage nieces to this one if they ask.

I don't know how to feel about this movie. I only went because my cousin wanted to see it, I usually try to avoid movies that I know are going to try to be emotional and make me cry. This one felt over the top by the end. 

Stella was fine in the beginning and I enjoyed how seriously she did take her treatment; I hate stories where the sick patient is lackadaisical about their care and treatment. But gotta agree with @IWantCandy71 by the end I was like "really lady, way to be super selfish."  I mean did she think that Will would never find out about the new lungs and wouldn't feel guilty about it. And way to try to get both yourself and the person you "love" killed.                                                                                                                                                     I mean I did cry, but as I've said before I am very easily emotionally manipulated by movies, so that was a given, and I appreciate the director and actors wanted to spotlight a real disease but even I could tell that it was going overboard to try to have multiple fakeouts. 

Edited by dkb
spacing
  • Love 1

I liked it a lot. It reminded me of the Lurlene McDaniel books I used to read as a preteen. I wanted more focus of the movie spent on Will/Stella doing their treatments together. The ending was not the best, but the actors were very charming. I would watch this one again, and I can't say that about Fault in Our Stars. 

• Love 1
On 3/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, dkb said:

Stella was fine in the beginning and I enjoyed how seriously she did take her treatment; I hate stories where the sick patient is lackadaisical about their care and treatment. But gotta agree with @IWantCandy71 by the end I was like "really lady, way to be super selfish."  I mean did she think that Will would never find out about the new lungs and wouldn't feel guilty about it. And way to try to get both yourself and the person you "love" killed.                                                                                                                                                     I mean I did cry, but as I've said before I am very easily emotionally manipulated by movies, so that was a given, and I appreciate the director and actors wanted to spotlight a real disease but even I could tell that it was going overboard to try to have multiple fakeouts. 

Yup. By the end I was like "she doesn't deserve the lungs". I wanted him to not be able to bring her back and he somehow (even with his diagnosis) gets the lungs in her place. Alas, that did not happen. 

• Love 1

I was feeling the same way about Stella, when they’re on the ice, but these guys had been telling her to take risks.  She’s lost her sister, just lost her best friend, I understand why she just runs out.  It also wasn’t her fault that his treatment wasn’t working.