Type keyword(s) to search

Agatha Raisin - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was nice to see the Agatha Raisin family again in the Christmas episode. However, I've found that the characters are acting even sillier than usual. This started with the last episode where Wilkes was completely over the top - much more so than previously. In this episode, Agatha struck me as being wackier than previously - which was annoying. 

• Love 3

I just watched the Christmas episode and I agree it was awfully silly overall, especially the "fight" in the kitchen between Agatha and the murderer.   It's also disappointing that they seemed to have dropped some of the more interesting details, for instance, they originally showed that Toni had a photographic memory, but they no longer even use that, which would have been more interesting than have her go undercover, which anyone could do.

However at least they included Mrs. Bogle, and it was nice that Agatha worked with Bill for a change instead of going behind his back for 90 percent of the show. 

• Love 2

Just watched the 2 part latest episode. I thought it was a return to the best of the Agatha Raisin series - the team worked together well and, most importantly, the silliness from the Christmas episode was toned way down. I was on the verge of giving up on the series after the Christmas nonsense; now I will definitely stick around. 

I really like seeing Sarah as a card shark. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't enjoy this show's brand of silliness as much as I used to, but I agree that the most recent set of episodes are an improvement over the Christmas special.

I really like Harry, but I think that has more to do with the actor than the character who--apart from his need to exercise in order to think better--seems too grounded for this show. I also don't know why they added another character when there are already some who are underserved/clumsily dragged into investigations. But I'm glad the show isn't milking the potential rivalry between Toni and Harry or the relationship issues with Toni-Bill and Agatha-James, though I guess that last one is still up in the air given Agatha's reaction to his engagement.

Just saw that the rest of the season was up on Acorn. It was an improvement as others have mentioned. 

I generally find DCI Wilkes so irritating, and I was happy when they phased him out. So how surprised was I, to find him almost tolerable to even mildly humorous. Still as incompetent as ever, how did he pass the  exams to make detective?  I also find it interesting that they added a new character to the mix. I'm hoping his addition isn't to set-up some romantic conflict between Toni and Bill, since we are seeing the issue of them not being able to spend time together and having nothing to talk about other than work. I didn't see that ending coming!

If James and Agatha don't end up together, I'd be happy. In fact I'd be happy if she didn't end up with Charles either. 

I don't like Agatha's outfits, but her bag and shoe game is beyond fierce! I covet!

I find the show as a fun diversion that's not filled with heavy and dark mysteries. I need some light fun! 

Edited by msani19

so the last episode(s) aired-- meh. It was awfully silly with all the paintball stuff. And what on earth was Agatha wearing the first half hour? It looked like she was intentionally trying to look ridiculous, rather than just "individual." The plot was pretty stupid as well. Oh well.

I have never understood them trying to push Agatha and James. He is so dull. Of course they kill off his fiancee.

I can't stand Inspector Wilkes. I hate characters who are just stupid for stupid's sake, I don't find him funny at all. How did he make Inspector?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I have never understood them trying to push Agatha and James. He is so dull. Of course they kill off his fiancee.

I can't stand Inspector Wilkes. I hate characters who are just stupid for stupid's sake, I don't find him funny at all. How did he make Inspector?

I loved Wilkes in the early episodes. Then....they made him into a farce and a complete idiot. It's a shame. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, roseha said:

Yes this show was never terribly deep but they seem to have gone over to the looney side in the writing

totally agree. That stupid bread fencing fight was an example. I was not amused.