Type keyword(s) to search

Caleb Rivers: Forget "A" Problems, He's Had Demons After His Soul

Feel free to change the title to something more clever, but I wanted to make sure Caleb had a thread for when he returns to Rosewood. I watched Ravenswood without ever really watching Pretty Little Liars and ended up really liking Caleb and wanting to see more of him. I'm glad he'll be coming back to PLL, but I'll be super annoyed if his plots from Ravenswood aren't tied up or referenced.

It really is going to be weird when he comes back. Is he just going to forget it all or pass it off as a trippy vacation and never mention it again? That would actually be for the best I think, unless there's a throwaway line about solving the unfinished business and they leave it at that. Trying to work Ravenswood into PLL to finish it would be pretty bad I think.

What exactly is Caleb's problem? I didn't watch Ravenswood and apparently they aren't going to elaborate on it on PLL.

Well, for starters, the thread title is literal. I don't know how true they're going to stay to that story since PLL is not a supernatural drama, but here goes:

He and four other kids were supposed to drown, but somehow it got screwed up and only Miranda (girl he met on the bus) died. He befriended these three kids plus Miranda's ghost and I was actually starting to like their little group more than the Liars when the series ended.Ghosts and demons kept endangering their lives, and Caleb died once briefly only to be brought back at the hospital. Turns out they couldn't kill them now without bringing Miranda back from the dead and then killing them all as a package deal for this sacrifice the town had made back in WWI, which had caused the death of Caleb and Miranda's identical and identically named ancestors. Five teenagers have been dying randomly in every war since, so that no soldier from Ravenswood would die in battle. Last scene of the series was Caleb saying goodbye to Hanna while Miranda watched, sad because she had a crush on him even though she was dead. Miranda then ran into the identical ghost of Caleb's ancestor who seems to think she's his Miranda. Our Caleb hasn't seen her since. I think what's been implied in PLL is that Caleb isn't sure if all of this really happened.

PLL is about time travelling, ninja girls who fly planes faking their own deaths, while hyper-adrenalised super-villains escape from mental asylums to conduct nefarious plots against the heroes all set in a town full of shady, immoral citizens.  It's pretty much straight out of a Batman comic.  I don't think Ravenswood veering into supernatural and horror elements was all that out of place at all.

I think it would be a really simple explanation for Caleb. All the show has to do is say he watched Miranda die and her death has haunted him. That way you don't bring in the supernatural, but it's the truth from the Ravenswood show. Easy fix...and would probably totally drive a teenager to drink. (Sure, Caleb saw Nate die, but Nate was trying to kill Emily so not nearly as traumatizing, and besides that they can pull some "he let Hanna down because he didn't take care of Miranda like she asked him too" BS that they'll likely pull. 

• Love 2