Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

One other thought about "Tuxedo Hill" that I thought of: The fiancé gets pissed at the end when she discovers that Jack Hawley sold all the stock, which was all the money that Karen Milner's parents had.

Okay, fine.

But I don't understand why G/E and Carver just let her leave after she outed Hawley. She did lie during the investigation. She should have been charged for obstruction of justice!

Just a crumb that irks me.

• Like 2
On 10/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe because business stuff sort of bores me, but watching "Tuxedo Hill" on Charge!, that angle really drags for me [I know it is all based on Bernie Madoff and Enron and whatnot, but...yawn!].

But it is saved by Goren literally cornering the rat boss at the end and Goren's "accounting trick" rant...

I do like "Dead", which comes next, with cold as ice [and Captain Hannah twin!], Harry Rowan.

It was based on Enron but Madoff wasn't a scandal until six years later (Mothership took it's cue for that one with 'Anchors Away,' featuring Jill Eikenberry and Edward Herrmann).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

Jeez, Charge actually blurred the blood around the victim during the post-cold open of 'Cold Comfort.' I pulled up the episode from an older YTTV recording, thinking it was something else (a forbidden logo, etc.). Nope.

It also speeds up/doesn't play all of the theme. Watching the end where they walk, it's in major fast forward fashion.

Forget which episode and which word, but I also recall some "bad" word excised [the dialogue goes silent].

This is on late at night. Why the need for the "nanny" editing?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

It also speeds up/doesn't play all of the theme. Watching the end where they walk, it's in major fast forward fashion.

Forget which episode and which word, but I also recall some "bad" word excised [the dialogue goes silent].

I’ve noticed a couple of censored words as well on Charge, as well as the odd times it goes to commercial break. Very weird. While it’s nice to have another network showing CI, it makes it less enjoyable.

• Like 3

Showing so many episodes at a time, like WE, the seasons go at a fast clip on Charge!, too.

While it is now airing Season 2 as I type this, Season 5 is set to start on the 27th. It appears that "In The Wee Small Hours" will be shown twice, late night on the 28th, again a Saturday, and it appears there must be another mini Sunday marathon of sorts on the 29th, a Sunday, as "Wee..." is also scheduled for 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Mentioning that episode specifically since many here like it.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Showing so many episodes at a time, like WE, the seasons go at a fast clip on Charge!, too.

While it is now airing Season 2 as I type this, Season 5 is set to start on the 27th. It appears that "In The Wee Small Hours" will be shown twice, late night on the 28th, again a Saturday, and it appears there must be another mini Sunday marathon of sorts on the 29th, a Sunday, as "Wee..." is also scheduled for 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Mentioning that episode specifically since many here like it.

Interesting that they are showing it on back to back days. It’s nice to have CI on another network, even if it’s odd when they go to commercial breaks on that network. 
As you know, In The Wee Small Hours is my favorite CI episode, it’s a near perfect episode with a great plot and I love seeing the 2 pairings of detectives working together.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Interesting that they are showing it on back to back days. It’s nice to have CI on another network, even if it’s odd when they go to commercial breaks on that network. 
As you know, In The Wee Small Hours is my favorite CI episode, it’s a near perfect episode with a great plot and I love seeing the 2 pairings of detectives working together.

I have to keep reminding myself it's on Charge now. But I'm glad it is.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have to keep reminding myself it's on Charge now. But I'm glad it is.

On practically every night. So if you have nothing to watch some night, at least there's another option!

• Like 3
On 10/14/2023 at 2:05 AM, WendyCR72 said:

On 10/14/2023 at 8:57 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I’ve noticed a couple of censored words as well on Charge, as well as the odd times it goes to commercial break. Very weird. While it’s nice to have another network showing CI, it makes it less enjoyable.

I have not seen the episodes or anything else on Charge. But given what is described here including sloppy cuts to commercial, it is probably a matter of greed/sloppiness rather than any moral qualms. The people who make the decisions about buying and selling the "content" don't actually care about anything other than the money, and if they save a few bucks by not having to pay anyone to keep track of what edits are actually being sent so much the better. So there is no actual logic to what is censored etc. - they made the cuts at some point for somebody who cared - and it was what was in the file when they sent if off. TBH I'm really surprised at this point that one of the digital subchannels or cable overnight packages hasn't broadcasted CI in a foreign language for a week or two without noticing...

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

On practically every night. So if you have nothing to watch some night, at least there's another option!

Thank you! That's exactly what happened. My husband gets up really early for work so I'm usually up later. One night I was sitting there, flipping through the channels and it hit me "that's right! CI is on, I'm saved!".

• Like 3

A Variety article which also covers the Canadian cast says this about airing outside of Canada:

“As the series preps for a Spring 2024 debut on Citytv, it’s eyeing international buyers at this week’s MIPCOM.”

So, hope springs eternal.

• Like 2

Looking up the leads, I was very surprised when I read their ages. Aden Young is 51; Kathleen Munroe is 41.

I kind of like that those in charge went for older actors rather than chasing a demographic. (Comparatively, Vincent D'Onofrio was 42 when the American version began. Kathryn Erbe was 36. So their Canadian counterparts are slightly older.)

Speaking of Kathleen Munroe, she is apparently Canadian, but I read she was living in Los Angeles and had been on Law & Order: Organized Crime and FBI, so at least she's familiar with how Dick Wolf shows roll!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 9/21/2023 at 2:07 PM, wknt3 said:

They get the attention because they are still around and because in the beginning there really was an intense and organic chemistry. Plus unlike other pairings that might have been comparable this one features a performer that has been perfectly willing to lean into it and actively worked up the shippers to service her ego.

Both Hargitay and Meloni play this for all it's worth on Twitter.

Vincent D'Onofrio has been gone for three days on Twitter and I'm still not over it. It was always neat to have a photo or "verse" from him pop up to cheer up my morning. Now everything's gone...

On 9/23/2023 at 1:03 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Slate has a list of the best stand-alone episodes on television. Among those on the list includes the Homicide: Life On The Street episode, "Subway".

Oh, "Subway" is FANTASTIC. I found the DVD set for 6th season of HOMICIDE in a used bookstore and bought it, not just to see "Subway," but the two-hour PBS documentary that was made about the making of the episode (ironically, I watched "Subway" already, but not the documentary).

Kathryn Erbe was a guest star in the very next episode aired, "All is Bright," as a woman who got AIDS from her boyfriend (he didn't tell her he was infected). And if it didn't have that to recommend it, Carol Kane is also a guest star as one of Munch's ex-wives.

Edited by Shadow Lass
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Ah, "Sound Bodies" is just ending on Charge!.

Just had the "C'mooooon, Tina or Carolyn?!" scene with Goren and the slap with Goren's flat "Ouch."

Still an awesome scene.

I liked it when Connie helped them out in The Wee Small Hours too.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Shadow Lass said:

Both Hargitay and Meloni play this for all it's worth on Twitter.

Vincent D'Onofrio has been gone for three days on Twitter and I'm still not over it. It was always neat to have a photo or "verse" from him pop up to cheer up my morning. Now everything's gone...

Oh, "Subway" is FANTASTIC. I found the DVD set for 6th season of HOMICIDE in a used bookstore and bought it, not just to see "Subway," but the two-hour PBS documentary that was made about the making of the episode (ironically, I watched "Subway" already, but not the documentary).

Kathryn Erbe was a guest star in the very next episode aired, "All is Bright," as a woman who got AIDS from her boyfriend (he didn't tell her he was infected). And if it didn't have that to recommend it, Carol Kane is also a guest star as one of Munch's ex-wives.

Yep, have the Complete DVD set, know all of this!

And as fantastic as Vincent D'Onofrio was in "Subway" [and he WAS!], I think Kathryn Erbe was just as terrific as Rita in "All Is Bright".

Nowadays, with the advancements in science, HIV is no longer necessarily fatal. But back in the late '90s? Different story, and the fact that Rita's boyfriend KNOWINGLY gave her HIV, which morphed to AIDS for her? I was sympathizing with her character, even though she did kill the scumbag. And I liked that at least one of the cops wasn't thrilled about putting her away, either.

And the makeup job on her was something else. Disturbing to see, but effective.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I liked it when Connie helped them out in The Wee Small Hours too.

Connie was a good villain, I love the scene where Goren provokes him into slapping him and then says “ouch” in Sound Bodies. That’s a really good episode. And it was great continuity bringing Connie back to help out from jail and help them nail scumbag Ethan Garrett in In The Wee Small Hours, which is my favorite CI episode. 
My only issue with Sound Bodies is how they switched the name of City Island to Channel Island - that made me laugh and distracted me, because they almost always use the real names of places, it was very obviously City Island from the location and geography, but they called it Channel Island - I wonder if someone from City Island didn’t want its real name used in the episode since poisonings and drownings took place there. Just seemed odd to me since it’s about the only time I can recall L&O changing the name of an NYC location.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

My only issue with Sound Bodies is how they switched the name of City Island to Channel Island - that made me laugh and distracted me, because they almost always use the real names of places, it was very obviously City Island from the location and geography, but they called it Channel Island - I wonder if someone from City Island didn’t want its real name used in the episode since poisonings and drownings took place there. Just seemed odd to me since it’s about the only time I can recall L&O changing the name of an NYC location.

What's even odder is, if I recall [and I could be wrong!], City Island was mentioned in "Lady's Man", when Alex told Bobby it was where she and Joe honeymooned.

Just like the show went from using New York Ledger versus New York Post [which the former was clearly a ringer for!] until S10, when Alex explicitly mentioned the New York Post.

Makes me wonder if the show finally got permission to use the real name or if it was a goof that no one caught.

Arbitrary, all the way.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

What's even odder is, if I recall [and I could be wrong!], City Island was mentioned in "Lady's Man", when Alex told Bobby it was where she and Joe honeymooned.

Just like the show went from using New York Ledger versus New York Post [which the former was clearly a ringer for!] until S10, when Alex explicitly mentioned the New York Post.

Makes me wonder if the show finally got permission to use the real name or if it was a goof that no one caught.

Arbitrary, all the way.

City Island was referred to several times throughout the franchise - a season 17 SVU episode, Melancholy Pursuit, had the detectives spend a lot of time interviewing people on City Island, and it was referenced many other times. Channel Island was only used in Sound Bodies, it was bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

City Island was referred to several times throughout the franchise - a season 17 SVU episode, Melancholy Pursuit, had the detectives spend a lot of time interviewing people on City Island, and it was referenced many other times. Channel Island was only used in Sound Bodies, it was bizarre.

Since the episode basically put the community on display, and not all good, maybe TPTB decided to fudge the name?

Sort of a variant of the political issue with the franchise: If something is positive, a real politician would be mentioned or seen. If it was negative, fake politicians!

Seems as good a guess as any!

• Like 2
Just now, WendyCR72 said:

Since the episode basically put the community on display, and not all good, maybe TPTB decided to fudge the name?

Sort of a variant of the political issue with the franchise: If something is positive, a real politician would be mentioned or seen. If it was negative, fake politicians!

Seems as good a guess as any!

Yes they obviously had to make up fictional politicians for the plot when using them as villains, most notably Governor Shalvoy and his wife. But yeah they referenced many prominent real life politicians many times and still do - and Mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg appeared on the Mothership, Chuck Schumer appeared on CI, and even Joe Biden (when he was VP) appeared on SVU (and called Benson “my friend” LOL, as if Benson doesn’t get enough glory!). 
I guess they decided not to use the name of City Island because it had multiple murders committed by residents there, like I say I wonder if someone from there objected.

• Like 2

I don't know whether to feel bad for the Canadian offshoot or not. I was reading the Deadline article about casting, and the comments were about 85% "bring back Goren/Eames"!

I mean, I'd like it, but since the attention was supposed to be on the new bunch...

Hopefully the spinoff will get a stateside home and will be given a chance.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I don't know whether to feel bad for the Canadian offshoot or not. I was reading the Deadline article about casting, and the comments were about 85% "bring back Goren/Eames"!

I mean, I'd like it, but since the attention was supposed to be on the new bunch...

Hopefully the spinoff will get a stateside home and will be given a chance.

Is the Canadian spin-off going to have original cases, or is it just going to be remakes of American CI episodes? I hope it has its on original cases, because it’s just weird to do remakes of episodes. 
And while the spin-off might be good, Goren/Eames will always be the face of CI. I have to wonder if we’ll ever see Goren/Eames again, I doubt it but then again I never thought the Mothership would come back for new episodes, complete with Jack McCoy back, so you never know. I would like a CI revival if they could get both Goren/Eames back - it would be great to see them again. I loved that they name dropped Goren in SVU a couple of years ago, it showed they hadn’t forgotten him. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Is the Canadian spin-off going to have original cases, or is it just going to be remakes of American CI episodes? I hope it has its on original cases, because it’s just weird to do remakes of episodes. 

Original stories, so it's the first spinoff to have its own cases. Those involved talked about some Canadian source material episodes would draw from...

55 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

And while the spin-off might be good, Goren/Eames will always be the face of CI. I have to wonder if we’ll ever see Goren/Eames again, I doubt it but then again I never thought the Mothership would come back for new episodes, complete with Jack McCoy back, so you never know. I would like a CI revival if they could get both Goren/Eames back - it would be great to see them again.

And I agree, it would be nice to see Goren/Eames again. Do agree they are the "face" of CI.

I mean, Logan was great and Nichols had his moments, but every channel that airs this always have bumpers/ads showing G/E, less so the others, so I guess I get why folks still mention them!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Original stories, so it's the first spinoff to have its own cases. Those involved talked about some Canadian source material episodes would draw from...

And I agree, it would be nice to see Goren/Eames again. Do agree they are the "face" of CI.

I mean, Logan was great and Nichols had his moments, but every channel that airs this always have bumpers/ads showing G/E, less so the others, so I guess I get why folks still mention them!

I’m very glad they will have original stories and not do what L&O:UK did and just do remakes.

Yeah Goren/Eames are the face of CI, and they are just as great as say Lennie Briscoe and Jack McCoy on the Mothership or Benson/Stabler on SVU. CI seems to get forgotten about some, maybe because it didn’t have as many seasons as the Mothership and SVU, that’s one reason I would love to see Goren/Eames back, it would introduce them to more fans, and it would just be awesome to see them solving cases again.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Huh. I would have thought "The Extra Man", too. Thanks for the link!

What a fascinating story. People apparently have been doing stuff like that for years. I think the most famous was Michael Romanoff, the owner of Romanoff's restaurant in Hollywood, who claimed to be related to Czar Nicholas. There's a joke about him in Miracle on 34th Street.

Denis Dupont was based on some guy who made the social scene years ago claiming, I think, to be a Rockefeller.

• Like 4
On 10/15/2023 at 9:34 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I like that it's on Charge! but my only issue is that Charge! seems to put commercials in weird spots.  Like right in the middle of a scene--boom it cuts to a commercial, and then it's back picking up almost in mid dialogue.  With WE the commercials seemed to be spaced out in-between scenes and honestly there didn't seem to be that many on other channels but seems to be a lot more on Charge!  

Enh either way I'm glad to watch it again.  And to see dreamy Det. Goren on my screen  😍

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

With WE the commercials seemed to be spaced out in-between scenes and honestly there didn't seem to be that many on other channels but seems to be a lot more on Charge!  

Yep, 4 episodes a night, and listings have more on this weekend, so it must be doing well.

The show is also on Sundance, by the way. Sister channel to WE - and the commercials are in the appropriate spots there, too.

Glad you get to appreciate Bobby again. 😊

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Undaunted Mettle was just on. Why didn't Goren and Eames take Laurette in for bigamy? I believe that it's still illegal. All they said was that he'd have to come down to the precinct and make a statement against Meredith.

I'd like to think they did charge him once he was there at 1PP.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just a reminder, should anyone be home and want to watch, that CI does air on Charge! tonight, and the last two of four episodes is "In The Wee Small Hours" from 11:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m.

Watching it now. My favorite episode. Just watched the scene where Eames testified in court - that was a great scene. It’s really a shame we never got to see Carver in court more often - he was so good when he had a larger role. Really great to see Arthur crossover and interact with Carver. Really everything about this episode is great.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Watching it now. My favorite episode. Just watched the scene where Eames testified in court - that was a great scene. It’s really a shame we never got to see Carver in court more often - he was so good when he had a larger role. Really great to see Arthur crossover and interact with Carver. Really everything about this episode is great.

Yeah.

And I still love how the aftermath of Alex's testimony went. Bobby and Alex handled it like mature adults. Bobby even gave a little smile when he agreed that he was indeed an acquired taste.

Had this happened later, it probably would have caused some big dramatic fight about betrayal or whatever. So I'm glad it was handled as it was.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah.

And I still love how the aftermath of Alex's testimony went. Bobby and Alex handled it like mature adults. Bobby even gave a little smile when he agreed that he was indeed an acquired taste.

Had this happened later, it probably would have caused some big dramatic fight about betrayal or whatever. So I'm glad it was handled as it was.

Agreed completely, I like how this was handled professionally and didn’t cause major conflict/drama. Had it happened one season later I’m sure it would’ve been a soapy mess. 
It was really awesome seeing Goren/Eames work with Logan/Barek in this episode. So many great scenes in the episode.

• Like 2

Oddly, Charge! is showing only two episodes today, and it's repeating "In The Wee Small Hours" now, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. That I do remember, that it would be aired back to back.

I like the episode(s), but it's kind of weird how they are repeating instead of showing two more in the sequence instead.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oddly, Charge! is showing only two episodes today, and it's repeating "In The Wee Small Hours" now, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. That I do remember, that it would be aired back to back.

I like the episode(s), but it's kind of weird how they are repeating instead of showing two more in the sequence instead.

And Charge is bleeping the fork out of the dialogue as it relates to sexual situations.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

We are watching this now. The commercials seem to be in the right place tonight.

This is a great episode. I noticed they filmed specific credits just for this story--I wonder if they intended to do others, but then Annabella Sciorra left.

"There they go, Ocean's 2," the courtroom scene about Eames' letter, and Bobby getting the judge to spill the beans...wonderful stuff.

Edited by Shadow Lass
  • Like 4
22 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

And Charge is bleeping the fork out of the dialogue as it relates to sexual situations.

Yup, I noticed that last night. The silencing of "pearl in the oyster" as one example is just dumb.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
16 minutes ago, Shadow Lass said:

We are watching this now. The commercials seem to be in the right place tonight.

This is a great episode. I noticed they filmed specific credits just for this story--I wonder if they intended to do others, but then Annabella Sciorra left.

"There they go, Ocean's 2," the courtroom scene about Eames' letter, and Bobby getting the judge to spill the beans...wonderful stuff.

I also loved the scene where Goren and Logan provoke Ethan into assaulting Logan when they were searching his room. And of course Arthur’s two scenes, especially when he tore up the original warrant and replaced it with one with his name on it “it’s not enough to do good, you gotta be seen doing good”. The whole 2 parter is fantastic from start to finish. 

• Like 4
On 10/29/2023 at 7:13 PM, TakomaSnark said:

23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yup, I noticed that last night. The silencing of "pearl in the oyster" as one example is just dumb.

hmfsb.jpg

Edited by wknt3
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Susan Misner is so good as Sister Olivia in Acts Of Contrition. CI is littered with great guest appearances. It's astonishing the show wasn't nominated for a single Emmy, never mind any in the acting categories.

I agree. Like I said before, to think the same actress played Becky the hooker, that lured Lois to her death, it showed Susan Misner did have range.

And she did have the seemingly thankless role in "Family Values" in S8 as the doomed wife of Paul Devildes.

CI seemed to have certain actors it enjoying employing more than once.

Right now, "Cruise To Nowhere" is on. Joey Frost really was an immature tool, but then, as Goren said, that's how he was kept on the hook to keep gambling, so...

The other actor later to play him in "All In" [okay, Josh Snow, but come on, we know who it was supposed to be!] played him much more world weary...

• Like 4