Type keyword(s) to search

Sydney to the Max - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Sydney to the Max," A Daughter/Father Sitcom, Is Set to Premiere Friday, Jan. 25, on Disney Channel

Set in the present day with flashbacks to the 1990s, the comedy revolves around outgoing middle schooler Sydney Reynolds who lives with her single dad Max in the house he grew up in, along with her progressive grandmother Judy - three generations under one roof. As Sydney's preteen pursuits begin to expand with unexpected and funny twists, Max tries to get a better sense of the guidance, perspective and support she needs. Grandma, full of both parental wisdom and wisecracks, has a razor-sharp memory that proves Max's own teenage antics parallel Sydney's. Flashback scenes to a young Max and his best friend Leo juxtapose the funny predicaments invented by Sydney and her vivacious friend Olive.

Caroline Rhea plays Judy in both eras. Ian Reed Kesler is adult Max, Jackson Dollinger is young Max, Ava Kolker is Olive and Christian J. Simon is Leo.

Teaser:

On 2/9/2019 at 9:55 AM, paulvdb said:

I watched the first episode but didn't like it enough to continue watching.

It’s the same story every episode thus far but I think it has promise if they get a second season.

The father and daughter don't look related at all. I get that it's TV and children's TV at that, but c'mon...at least try.

Glad to see Caroline Rhea as I tend to enjoy her but she's wasted here and her character isn't well written.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2019 at 4:21 PM, Aryanna said:

The father and daughter don't look related at all. I get that it's TV and children's TV at that, but c'mon...at least try.

Glad to see Caroline Rhea as I tend to enjoy her but she's wasted here and her character isn't well written.

Thank you! It was distracting for the few episodes I watched.  Total casting fail. 

I hate this show. More than most other Disney stuff, every show is the same. Sydney does something bratty, dad calls her on it, grandma says your dad did the same thing, Sydney screams “hypocrite” and Dad caves. Yeah we all did things we weren’t supposed to do as kids, still means we should correct our kids. 

Caroline Rhea is wasted, as is the girl who plays the best friend.

and now, because it’s Disney, Sydney is going to sing. Autotuned to hell, but yep, singing. 

• Love 1
On 4/26/2020 at 11:27 PM, kacesq said:

I hate this show. More than most other Disney stuff, every show is the same. Sydney does something bratty, dad calls her on it, grandma says your dad did the same thing, Sydney screams “hypocrite” and Dad caves. Yeah we all did things we weren’t supposed to do as kids, still means we should correct our kids. 

Caroline Rhea is wasted, as is the girl who plays the best friend.

and now, because it’s Disney, Sydney is going to sing. Autotuned to hell, but yep, singing. 

Funny you call Ava wasted, us GMW watchers were A N N O Y E D by her when she was on the screen.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:44 AM, VartanFan said:

I’m just wondering how they manage to make Caroline Rhea look SO bad in both the flashbacks and present day.  

I think it because they are agríngate her up AND down. Neither age is right so they have to use make up both ways.  Plus the wardrobe is doing her no favors. I do think she looks better in the current day.