Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Warp Factor Zero

Bort
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 1

And here I thought I was the only nerd who made tv viewing spreadsheets! 

ETA: I use Zap2It also, and now I realize I didn't pay attention and hit the "see all upcoming episodes" button. Duh! for me. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 1

Mine is not a spreadsheet, just a list. Since cable shows have split seasons and non-traditional air dates (not Sept-May) and with streaming channels dropping whole seasons at once, it became necessary to make a list so I don’t miss favorites. Plus different family members watch shows I don’t and I somehow became keeper of letting everyone know when “their” show is on. I’m weaning myself from this!

5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

In a spreadsheet? Really? I never did until about 2 years ago. 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

Back when computers were a big box in the corner of the spare room, I used to print out my TV schedules. I found one under the couch from 1999-2000 on a color coded index card printed on my inkjet. The only Scifi at that time was Voyager.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2018 at 4:01 PM, ketose said:

Back when computers were a big box in the corner of the spare room, I used to print out my TV schedules. I found one under the couch from 1999-2000 on a color coded index card printed on my inkjet. The only Scifi at that time was Voyager.

Why does the turn of the Millennium suddenly seem like such a long time ago now, even though it's only been about 19 years since it happened?

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Why does the turn of the Millennium suddenly seem like such a long time ago now, even though it's only been about 19 years since it happened?

19 years is the approximate length of a human generation, so . . .

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

19 years is the approximate length of a human generation, so . . .

That explains why it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that 2019 marks my 40th high-school reunion. Forty years seems paradoxically like such a long time and such a short time at the same time!

• Love 3

I think I used to write down my shows when we still had to manually set the VRC. Nowadays I rely on Comcast Xfinity to remember when my shows come on and tape them.

Remember the first time you thought about something that was 20 years ago and you realized you were a young adult when that happened and not a child? That's when you start feeling the years going by.

My 45th HS reunion was this year. They did a cruise and I did not go. I did, however, go to my 40th even though I actually hadn't seen any of those people in 40 years and didn't remember too many since I was only there for a year and a half then moved 1500 miles away. I had a good time and ended up with a lot of Facebook friends.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I think I used to write down my shows when we still had to manually set the VRC. Nowadays I rely on Comcast Xfinity to remember when my shows come on and tape them.

Remember the first time you thought about something that was 20 years ago and you realized you were a young adult when that happened and not a child? That's when you start feeling the years going by.

My 45th HS reunion was this year. They did a cruise and I did not go. I did, however, go to my 40th even though I actually hadn't seen any of those people in 40 years and didn't remember too many since I was only there for a year and a half then moved 1500 miles away. I had a good time and ended up with a lot of Facebook friends.

For me, "20 years ago" is now 1999 as of Tuesday, and I was in my late 30s then.  But my mind still thinks of "20 years ago" as when my mother was a teenager in the 1950s because that's when I first started hearing the term applied to historical events!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

For me, "20 years ago" is now 1999 as of Tuesday, and I was in my late 30s then.  But my mind still thinks of "20 years ago" as when my mother was a teenager in the 1950s because that's when I first started hearing the term applied to historical events!

There's a song called "Twenty Years Ago" made famous by Kenny Rogers. But that was 30 years ago now.

10 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I have to wonder how many kids don't even understand what the "tape" refers to when we talk about recordings. It's actually been almost 10 years since recording on a traditional VCR was made obsolete for over the air TV.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ketose said:

Yes, but Futurama changed all of the lyrics in that episode.

So did the nearly forgotten syndicated series Cleopatra 2525.

7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I think we're 2 of the 12 people who watched that show. I remember the theme song and then finding out it was a real song. 

Make it 3. I loved Cleopatra 2525, I wish it streamed somewhere so I could rewatch it. That and its companion show, Jack of All Trades.

• Love 2

FYI,

Cleopatra 2525 and Jack of All Trades aired back to back when Hercules ended mid-season 2000. Jack got cancelled and Cleopatra 2525 went from 30 minutes to an hour in its second season. The show also got darker, which is surprising for a show about a 20th century stripper frozen and woken up in a post-apocalyptic Earth 5 centuries later.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Superclam said:

I never watched the second season. For whatever reason, I never really got into Jack of All Trades, even though I'm a big Bruce Campbell fan. 

Same here. Sometimes I don't like a show on first airing but if I go back to it later, I appreciate it more. Maybe I should rent it and give another go.

I don't even remember Cleopatra 2525! But then, the premise isn't at all interesting to me.

I never really did the spreadsheet thing but I did come across an old notebook where I'd written my tv schedule for the week and noted what to watch and what to record. I gave up cable years ago and don't need to write anything down. I just use Zap2It. If there's nothing on I just read so I'm looking forward to those Orville comics and am hoping they'll start doing novels too. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Best part of all that waiting to see it on DVD is setting aside enough time to binge watch it instead of waiting a week for the next episode.  

My library has a copy of the 1st season of Star Trek Discovery, now all I have to do is go down there, get it and set aside some time to watch ...

I just did that last week with Star Trek Discovery season 1. I had to sit waitlisted for two weeks before I got it too. Apparently, a lot of people are doing the library watch as opposed to paying for the platform. Now I wait for season 2...

• Love 4