Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Janet Fraiser

In case anyone is so inclined, this is our space in which to rhapsodize over the character of Dr. Janet Fraiser, first glimpsed in The Broca Divide, and portrayed with unerring grace by the inimitable, irrepressible Teryl Rothery. Dr. Fraiser (aka The Little Doc) was, along with General Hammond (aka St. George), the heart and soul of the SGC. Her loyalty to the mission was surpassed only by her allegiance to the Hippocratic Oath, which remained paramount even when she had Apophis as her patient. Brutally killed off by the Sci-Fi network in Heroes, the Little Doc made a one-off reappearance in Ripple Effect, one of the few late-season episodes to feel like classic SG-1. Coincidence? You be the judge.936full-teryl-rothery.thumb.jpg.0b6c220e9a09f91bd0f7a5f70ee94711.jpg

• Love 1

Fraizer was a great character. I enjoyed her sarcasm and that she had heart. Especially the scene where she tells Jack to stay in the bed. Though Teal'c had the one-liner, she was the one who set that up ;).

• Love 2

The show lost its heart when they killed her off. The kicker was that they didn't need to. Don Davis actually went to the producers and asked them to kill off Hammond instead since he was going to leave anyway. But no, had to nip Dan/Jan in the bud...

I personally never saw Dan/Jan as anything more than doctor/patient.  I was surprised after the fact to find there were Dan/Jan shippers.  I had nothing against Janet but she always seemed significantly older than Daniel and maternal in a brisk, no nonsense way.  Later when I did rewatches i looked for it (not like there were many other options until Vala came along) but still didn't see it so I don't think they were shutting down anything so much as going for the shock factor.    At that point killing a regular was at least a tiny bit shocking.  Now it's far more shocking if shows don't kill anyone.  

I never saw it, either, but I went out of my way not to see any hints of 'ships on his show. It's not that I'm against 'ships; I just didn't trust the writing staff to get them right.

Edited by BigBeagle