Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Stories

Trini
  • Start Topic

I think we agree that Glassman's memory is being affected. The question is, how much is from the treatment, how much from anxiety and how much from simple aging. And that not-Cuddy should have arranged for baseline testing before he began treatment because now if there are memory problems they can't be sure it's from the treatment.

Though even now it doesn't have to be a full neuropsych work-up, something as simple as a 10 minute Trails Test would indicate how much his anxiety may be interfering with his memory.

I know that the show wants me to think that forgetting he gave his wallet to not-Cuddy and forgetting the name of Shaun's brother means that he's having memory loss but I personally am not buying it as proof.  (I had to use the landline to call my cellphone three times yesterday because I kept forgetting where I had put it. Anxiety interferes with memory.)

On 11/21/2018 at 5:48 PM, ElectricCityy said:

It blows my mind how she doesn't see how it was wrong to go behind his back to get her own way. He is still her attending. That has nothing to do with being more assertive. It's just out of line.

She may see that it was wrong to go behind his back but still believe that she did the right thing for the patient and thus refused to apologize for what she did. As Kohlberg wrote about his stages of moral reasoning

In Stage six (universal ethical principles driven), moral reasoning is based on abstract reasoning using universal ethical principles. Laws are valid only insofar as they are grounded in justice, and a commitment to justice carries with it an obligation to disobey unjust laws. Legal rights are unnecessary, as social contracts are not essential for deontic moral action. Decisions are not reached hypothetically in a conditional way but rather categorically in an absolute way, as in the philosophy of Immanuel Kant. This involves an individual imagining what they would do in another's shoes, if they believed what that other person imagines to be true. The resulting consensus is the action taken. In this way action is never a means but always an end in itself; the individual acts because it is right, and not because it avoids punishment, is in their best interest, expected, legal, or previously agreed upon.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I think we agree that Glassman's memory is being affected. The question is, how much is from the treatment, how much from anxiety and how much from simple aging. And that not-Cuddy should have arranged for baseline testing before he began treatment because now if there are memory problems they can't be sure it's from the treatment.

Though even now it doesn't have to be a full neuropsych work-up, something as simple as a 10 minute Trails Test would indicate how much his anxiety may be interfering with his memory.

I know that the show wants me to think that forgetting he gave his wallet to not-Cuddy and forgetting the name of Shaun's brother means that he's having memory loss but I personally am not buying it as proof.  (I had to use the landline to call my cellphone three times yesterday because I kept forgetting where I had put it. Anxiety interferes with memory.)

She may see that it was wrong to go behind his back but still believe that she did the right thing for the patient and thus refused to apologize for what she did. As Kohlberg wrote about his stages of moral reasoning

Yeah, if they didn't have the time they could've done a quick memory test - but I imagine that a surgeon like Glassman would want a full accounting of everything, given how much control he likes to have over things - he is a very independent man

• Love 2
On November 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM, DearEvette said:

The idea of having no filter and acting on every impulse would terrify me.  I am such a control freak.  One of the many reasons I'll never do drugs.

Same - to the extent of not drinking, even. When the husband asked 'so you couldn't say no to anything', I thought he was going to wonder, which I would in his shoes, whether all the sex they'd been having lately (remember, one of his first objections to the idea that she cheated was that their sex life was better than ever) had been totally consensual.

Not that he (or any of her other partners) could have known, but if she was basically walking around roofied...it's an unpleasant thought.

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 6
On 11/19/2018 at 10:26 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I do wonder how badly their financial situation is going to be, since it was mentioned that the wife had gone through all of their savings and retirement plan, by giving it to charity.  Is there any way that can get their money back?

I think with the money going to charities, it's doubtful, but possible.  I wonder how she was able to drain ALL the accounts and he only knew because the insurance was declined.