Type keyword(s) to search

The Immigrant (2014)

wlk68
  • Start Topic

(edited)

1921. In search of a new start and the American dream, Ewa Cybulska and her sister Magda sail to New York from their native Poland. When they reach Ellis Island, doctors discover that Magda is ill, and the two women are separated. Ewa is released onto the mean streets of Manhattan while her sister is quarantined. Alone, with nowhere to turn and desperate to reunite with Magda, she quickly falls prey to Bruno, a charming but wicked man who takes her in and forces her into prostitution. And then one day, Ewa encounters Bruno's cousin, the debonair magician Orlando. He sweeps Ewa off her feet and quickly becomes her only chance to escape the nightmare in which she finds herself.

Summary above from IMDB. Has anyone else seen this? It's been out for several weeks now and it stars Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard and Jeremy Renner. Directed by James Gray (We Own The Night, The Yards, Two Lovers). It's in fairly limited release and has received no advertising whatsoever (Thank you, Harvey Weinstein *sarcasm*) . That being said, I thought it was well done. The acting was excellent and the cinematography was gorgeous. I can imagine that many young women suffered the same fate as Ewa.   

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 1

I saw this a couple of weeks ago via Netflix and loved it.  Loved the cinematography, loved the acting - especially from Marion Cotillard.  She's so dreamy looking and she gives such a real and intense performance.  Truly it's a shame this hasn't gotten pushed more, she deserves an Oscar nomination for this, but she won't get it because of Weinstein's indifference to the film.