Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: I Robot...You, Jane

• Start Topic

From Wikipedia

Willow meets a boy on the Internet, but "Malcolm" is really Moloch, an ancient demon released from bondage after Willow scanned his "book" into the school's computer. With help from Ms. Calendar, Sunnydale High's computer teacher, Buffy foils Moloch's plan to upload himself into a giant robot.

Wow. This one is kind of painful on rewatch just because of the old tech. I mean the Internet on TV is always bad, but 17 year old internet is terrible! I do remember liking the idea of this one at the time I watched it and I still think it's kinda neat. Plus we get Jenny, but as Sarah said in her post on the back half of this season over here the whole "technopagen" thing bugs. 

• Love 2

I do remember liking the idea of this one at the time I watched it and I still think it's kinda neat.

I was just coming here to say the same thing.  I watched this one over the weekend and I think it's a fine example of, "good idea, poor execution."  Demon trapped in a book?  Good.  Demon scanned into the computer?  Good.  Demon proceeds to ... wreak nebulous havoc in the lives of three teenagers and build himself a cheesy robot?  Huh.  Clearly not the most ambitious demon we've ever seen on the Hellmouth.

• Love 2

My favorite part has to be this exchange:

"I met him online."

"On line for what?" (beat) "Oh."

Got to love material that's only applicable to the extremely specific time that it was made in. Also, as I understand it people on the west coast say "in line," so it doesn't even make sense that way.

Though I also have to point out how easy it is to miss that Moloch's robot body is actually supposed to look that cheesy and silly, thanks to all the UNintentional cheesy silliness it's surrounded by.

I love this episode to pieces. I love Jenny's introduction and her banter with Giles ("You would join us in the twentieth century. With three whole years to spare!), Moloch is a fun villain, Xander and Buffy are protective of Willow in a slightly patronizing, yet fun and endearing way.

Plus it has this moment:

Giles: (tries to dampen their excitement) A moment, please, of quiet reflection. I do not suggest that you illegally enter the...

Ms. Calendar enters the library.

Giles:  ...data into the file so the book will be listed by title as well as by author.

(edited)
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 2:18 PM, Earl Is Dead said:

I was just coming here to say the same thing.  I watched this one over the weekend and I think it's a fine example of, "good idea, poor execution."  Demon trapped in a book?  Good.  Demon scanned into the computer?  Good.  Demon proceeds to ... wreak nebulous havoc in the lives of three teenagers and build himself a cheesy robot?  Huh.  Clearly not the most ambitious demon we've ever seen on the Hellmouth.

Well, demons do like to stay close to the Hellmouth, perhaps he needed to for his powers to work?

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 6:41 PM, Jack Shaftoe said:

I love this episode to pieces. I love Jenny's introduction and her banter with Giles ("You would join us in the twentieth century. With three whole years to spare!), Moloch is a fun villain, Xander and Buffy are protective of Willow in a slightly patronizing, yet fun and endearing way.

Plus it has this moment:

Giles: (tries to dampen their excitement) A moment, please, of quiet reflection. I do not suggest that you illegally enter the...

Ms. Calendar enters the library.

Giles:  ...data into the file so the book will be listed by title as well as by author.

Yeah, Jenny is the highlight here but also interesting to see Willow striking out on her own from the gang. 

'I Robot, You Jane'

The Good; Buffy's undercover look is hilarious. Here's Jenny, yay! The final scene with Buffy, Willow and Xander, sitting on the step bemoaning their lovelessness is WONDERFUL!

The Bad; The robot Moloch simply looks stupid, not as bad as the mantis but close

Best Line; Giles; "I'll be back in the middle ages" Jenny; "Did you ever leave?"

Observations and questions; No Cordy or Angel. Some pretty strong stuff here, necks being broken, Fritz self-harming (a topic we'll see again in Blood Ties) and Dave hanging himself. Willow's first boyfriend although you might note that Will has a picture of herself and Giles in her locker. Of course it's twelve years ago so all the computer equipment seems just unbelievably clunky. Xander refers to his uncle working at the computer firm, is that the infamous Rory? 

Spoiler

Ironically given that the younger Scoobies end the episode bleakly contemplating the future alone here Giles meets his future girlfriend. Are the monks who trap Moloch the same ones that create Dawn? ( they do nice work!)

Possibly the weakest ep of season 1; I'll give it 4/10

Edited by Joe Hellandback
Spoilers
(edited)
On 6/4/2018 at 9:24 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

The Bad; The robot Moloch simply looks stupid, not as bad as the mantis but close

Yes, but it's supposed to look silly; Moloch's attempt to recreate himself in the modern world.  The fact that he gave himself metal ram's horns just seems so perfect, IMO.

Best lines:

MOLOCH:  At this moment, a man in Shanghai is transferring money into a Swiss bank account to take out a contract on his mother.  (Beat)  Good for him.  

(It's the head tilt that does it.)

And, when the gang finds that the book is now blank:

XANDER:  You released Moloch?

BUFFY (pouty): Way to go!

GILES (defensive):  I didn't do it!

Heh.  The bit where Xander reassures Buffy (after she gets electrocuted) that "it's your best hair ever" is also cute.  And of course all the Giles/Jenny stuff.

Missed opportunity for fanfic: if Willow really had been taking a shower when Buffy went looking for her in the locker room.  Bamp-chica-bamp-bamp…

Edited by Halting Hex
16 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Yes, but it's supposed to look silly; Moloch's attempt to recreate himself in the modern world.  The fact that he gave himself metal ram's horns just seems so perfect, IMO.

Best lines:

(It's the head tilt that does it.)

And, when the gang finds that the book is now blank:

Heh.  The bit where Xander reassures Buffy (after she gets electrocuted) that "it's your best hair ever" is also cute.  And of course all the Giles/Jenny stuff.

Missed opportunity for fanfic: if Willow really had been taking a shower when Buffy went looking for her in the locker room.  Bamp-chica-bamp-bamp…

You mean 'slashfic'?

7 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

From today's point of view, the episode is great for the dated computer stuff alone already.

"I met him online." - "Online for what?" :D

Not to mention no mobile phones (although CC had one in The Harvest?)

Ah, those were the days...

Willow: Malcolm! (Moloch turns to face her. She has a fire extinguisher). Remember me, your girlfriend?! (She pounds the extinguisher into his chest hard enough to make him bend back). Well, I think it's time we break up! (She hits him again even harder). Or maybe we can still be friends!

One of the best breakup scenes in the series IMO...
And then that moment when Moloch shoves Willow down the hall into Xander and they both crash to the floor... Why couldn't they lie in each others arms a little longer while Buffy was finishing off the metal guy (she's the Slayer, and they're just the Slayerettes - so...)? At least such a close contact could create some spark between the two... I know, just another twisted fantasy of mine...

Again, Fritz alone could have been a hell of a lot better villain for the season than, say, that pathetic excuse for a Slayer's nemesis a.k.a. the Trio

2 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

Why couldn't they lie in each others arms a little longer while Buffy was finishing off the metal guy (she's the Slayer, and they're just the Slayerettes - so...)?

Hey, at least Buffy got him to admit he was "used to being the belle of the ball" when it came to all things Willow.  Don't take it for granted, Xan…next thing you know, you'll have to worry about guys with hairy backs cutting into your Willow-time.  I'm just saying.

I have to agree with Halting Hex regarding Buffy's feelings for Willow in the first year of knowing her. She's mad with jealousy and it's written all over her face. You should've come out of the closet at the very beginning, Slayer. 

I-Robot-You-Jane-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-7020556-640-480.jpg.5cdd147a9ac0715c33bedf2be45c677a.jpg

Spoiler

OTOH the way Buffy acts around Cordy in Out of Mind, Out of Sight indicates some sympathy towards Queen C. either. I guess Buffy just couldn't decide whether she was in love with Willow or Cordelia, until Angel became her #1.

6 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

She's mad with jealousy and it's written all over her face.

You're not the only one to notice.  Even Willow herself tweaks that something's up:

WILLOW: You're having an expression.

BUFFY: I'm not. But if I was, it'd be saying, 'This just isn't like you.'

WILLOW: Not like me to have a boyfriend?

BUFFY: He's boyfriendly?

WILLOW: (confused) I don't understand why you don't want me to have this.

(ME, AS BUFFY:  Because I love you!)

WILLOW (in the actual episode):  I mean, boys don't chase me around all the time. I thought you'd be happy for me.

Oh, Willow…and you think Xander's clueless?  Sigh.

Also, SMG's fixing her scrunchie does a lovely job of thrusting her boobs forward.  I'm just saying.  Not that she did that on purpose…necessarily.  (But, OTOH, she later does go looking for Willow in the shower, so…)

Seriously, I kept the episode in my DVR for a looong time pretty much just because of "He's…boyfriendly?".  'Shipper goggles, I guess.  But even so.

Edited by Halting Hex
On 2/1/2019 at 5:01 AM, Halting Hex said:

SMG's fixing her scrunchie does a lovely job of thrusting her boobs forward

Speaking of Sarah's boobs... Sometimes it seems they were a little bit bigger in the first season

Spoiler

than in the later ones.

But that's just my impression.

Buffy says that "Malcolm" could have a hairy back.  Willow dismisses the idea, and then adds:

WILLOW: And anyway, that stuff doesn't matter when you really care about each other.

Wow, rude much?  Didn't Buffy just have to break up with her boyfriend over "that stuff"?  I grant you that Angel's having fangs and "Malcolm" having a (hypothetical) hairy back aren't exactly equivalent, but still. Kind of harsh to imply that Buffy and Angel didn't "really care about each other", I'm just saying.

Not saying that the whole "demon robot" angle was karma lending a helping hand, but welcome to the "we're doomed!" club, Will.  Now you know how Buffy and Xander felt.  Stuck-up nerd!

BUFFY (calling):  Willow?  (Hears running water.) Taking a shower?

Now, traditionally, this is used as "evidence" that Buffy is wanting to catch a look at Naked!Willow in the showers.  Which, fair enough, probably true.

But…Dave said that Willow told him that she wanted to speak to Buffy, and that she (Willow) was going to be in the girls' locker room.  So, perhaps Buffy thinks this is all a seduction plan that Willow has hatched?

WILLOW (in Buffy's imagination, faux-innocent):  Oh, hi, Buffy!

BUFFY (blushing):  Um, hey.  Dave said you wanted to talk?

WILLOW (smirking):  Right. Talk.  Could you do me a favor, though?

BUFFY:  A-a-favor?

WILLOW (turning her back):  Could you help me wash my back?  There's this spot I just can't reach.  Scrub it real good…

and so on…

So Buffy could have closet lesbian feelings, but that doesn't make her a Peeper, necessarily.  She's only doing what (she's been led to believe) Willow wants, right?

12 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

Anyway, school showers aren't supposed to be the places for such kind of activity...

Well, to quote

Spoiler

Xander in Goodbye, Iowa, "Maybe that's what's wrong with the world."

Personally, I think Buffy the Willow Smoocher has a perfectly nice ring.  And you only have to change one letter in the acronym, too.  Convenient!

(edited)

So Jules enjoyed this one, but she really didn't like "that horrible Calendar woman" and was really worried that all of her sparring with Giles was flirtation and they were setting up a romance.  "I don't want to see Giles dating Ms. Calendar!" she said, more than once.

However, by episode's end, she decided that she didn't really mind Calendar and even grudgingly conceded that it might be okay if Giles had a romance, because why should the kids have all the fun?

Spoiler

I give her until perhaps Some Assembly Required before she decides that Giles and Jenny are her favorite couple, which would mean that I can sit back and wait to see her collapse into a sobbing wreck when she sees Passion. After all, to quote Spike, "It's no fun if they don't cry."

(To quote Xander, two eps from here:  "I'm sick; I know it."  Oh, well.)

Also, I'm wondering if her awareness of the "bickering is a prelude to romance" trope means she'll be sniffing out Xander/Cordelia in advance.  Hmmm.

Edited by Halting Hex