Type keyword(s) to search

The 90s Dic and Cloverway Dubs: His Name Is Prince Darien

The topic name makes me laugh as it reminds me of one of the funniest line in the original DiC dub, to paraphrase:

Luna:  I never expected that Darien was Prince Darien all along!

• Love 7

Heee! That was where the thread name came from, yep. It was during the hot springs episode. The line made perfect sense in the original as Brainwashed!Tux was going by Endymion so he legitimatly had no idea who the hell this "Mamoru" guy is. But since Dic made their changes he ends up telling "Serena" he's "never heard these names" when she calls him Darien, despite walking around as "Prince Darien." They did a slightly better job in Crystal Tokyo where Future!Tux says "They call me King of the Earth" instead of "King Endymion," but it's still a bit awkward.

Amusingly they finally called him Endymion during SuperS, but it came straight the hell out of nowhere since they had never ever used it before. Whoops.   

That said, I have a ton of affection for the Dic dub (well through R anyway), so it's a lovingly mocking thread title.

• Love 2

One thing I loved in the DiC dub was the music; I bought the two soundtracks they put out and still listen to them occasionally to this day.  The theme when the Senshi transform, the song when Usagi battles Queen Metallia, the song when Rubeus and the four sisters attack the senshi while Usagi protects Chibi-Usa...  Rainy Day Man... Some great songs came out of that dub.

• Love 2

Sometimes when it rains and I'm out there holding an umbrella waiting, I think of Lita and hum "Rainy Day Man" to myself. It's been twenty years! The dub really had a great soundtrack.

• Love 2

I liked those songs to, but I really enjoyed the ost for the dub too. I think the one(s) that stood out the most was the one called "Sadness." But my favorite one was the television version of a "Memory Away." It was the song that played when Amy was going to leave for boarding school (or whatever it was).

• Love 1
On 6/6/2014 at 3:39 PM, Nightbaron said:

One thing I loved in the DiC dub was the music; I bought the two soundtracks they put out and still listen to them occasionally to this day.  The theme when the Senshi transform, the song when Usagi battles Queen Metallia, the song when Rubeus and the four sisters attack the senshi while Usagi protects Chibi-Usa...  Rainy Day Man... Some great songs came out of that dub.

Yes! I loved the soundtrack! "My Only Love" was great.

Re-watched a good chunk of the Dic Black Moon "Negamoon" arc while I was visiting my cousin and I was surprised at how well it generally hung together. The last 17 "lost episodes" especially had very accurate scripts, which is surprising. Power of Love still hit me right in the feels.