Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: The Unicorn in Captivity

From Adult Swim's page:

Dr. Venture's new invention is a real game-changer. And the new game is deadly!

Saw it on the app. As usual, lots of fun stuff. I hope y'all like it!

Edited by Lantern7

Interesting that Venture was still working on that teleporter. And it finally works! All those mangled up apples tells a hell of a story. And yeah, classic Rusty to suggest Hank be the first human test. Interesting that the ONLY successful project Rusty pulled off is threatened to be called off thanks to OSI's version of the Council of 13. Man, that opens up a whole can of worms, doesn't it? Or was that whole plot a simulation? I'm leaning towards simulation. Sure, Rusty could build a machine powered by an orphan, but he draws the line at eating one. And how does Rusty still not know Dr. Mrs. just by her voice? (EDIT: Then again, if it WAS all a simulation, they could've been big tip offs. Like, Dr. Mrs. working for the Illuminati, and then being fine with being offered to Rusty as a sex slave? And the bit with the orphan sashimi being a callback to the Joy Can. Plus the bartender knowing how to make Rusty's drink)

Holy crap, Tiny Eagle! Aaand he's dead. Thanks, Brock. Presto Chage-O is Impossible Man, Plastic Man, and Joker rolled in to one, and voiced by Mark Hamill to boot (and of course creeped out Monarch). I think Ramburgular was my favorite member of the heist. Blame the name. Interesting that the team had two shapeshifters, even if Copy Cat could turn into anyone, while Presto could change the shape of his body. Copy Cat being able to duplicate himself was something I did NOT see coming. I hope Presto didn't die. Rambulgular got a pretty good death, though. (EDIT: Wait, was Copycat's power always duplication? I thought he was a shapeshifter)

Speaking of Mark Hamill, he voiced someone who looked like Salieri. THAT'S a deep cut if I ever saw one (he played him in the Broadway version of Amadeus). Speaking of deep cuts, it took me a few bits to realize the guy in the wheelchair at the orgy was Roy Brisby.

Man, this was a good one. I take it that was The Nozzle at the end?

Next week:

Spoiler

Night Dick!

Edited by Galileo908

The important take-away here is that Monarch has a pair of teleporter plates now. Unless he turns them over to the Guild.

Ramburgler? A character deliberately picked a slang term for "gay" (originating in a Robot Chicken sketch) as his bad guy name?

Copy Cat having a party all by himself was kind of sad. Guess all the backstabbing doesn't leave him with many friends.

9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I take it that was The Nozzle at the end?

Didn't look like it.

As much as I like seeing what Rusty and Malcolm (can we call him that?) do when they can’t fight each other, we got three more episodes left. Anything that doesn’t get resolved will have to wait for a long time.

Nice to see Brock killing again . . . though I’m betting a knife to the head wouldn’t deter Presto Chango that much. Does Mark Hamil ever get tired of voicing evil clown-types? The Stairmaster bit was inspired. Had to rewind to see that again.

Gathers had a good point about not upsetting the status quo, but Rusty is downright myopic. Of course he’d eventually throw himself into the orgy. And, of course, it was a simulation.

Does Monarch remember the time Copy Cat swiped his outfit, darted him, invaded the Venture compound, pissed on the furniture, and his wife thought he did that? I’d think Monarch would hold a grudge. Also: if CC (funny on many levels) is a bad guy based on Dean Martin, will we be getting a Jerry Lewis?

Edited by Lantern7
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Gathers had a good point about not upsetting the status quo...

"New technologies should be suppressed in order to protect the interests of businesses that deal in outmoded technologies" is a good point?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

"New technologies should be suppressed in order to protect the interests of businesses that deal in outmoded technologies" is a good point?

In that world? Yeah, especially if the new technology is courtesy of Rusty Venture. Yes, the teleporter worked great (except for Ramburglar getting decapitated), but it probably twists the testicles of every third guy that uses it.

This week's t-shirt: The Illimina-Tee. That actually looks cool, to be honest.

They didn't mention that, like his Ooo-Ray back in the pilot, it could be used for war. Just slip a bomb or something through there, and blow up the White House (provided you could get the other pad inside first).

Monarch's gonna use it to sneak into the V-Tech building, I guarantee it.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Or was that whole plot a simulation? I'm leaning towards simulation. Sure, Rusty could build a machine powered by an orphan, but he draws the line at eating one. And how does Rusty still not know Dr. Mrs. just by her voice? (EDIT: Then again, if it WAS all a simulation, they could've been big tip offs. Like, Dr. Mrs. working for the Illuminati, and then being fine with being offered to Rusty as a sex slave? And the bit with the orphan sashimi being a callback to the Joy Can. Plus the bartender knowing how to make Rusty's drink)

It was a simulation from the point that Gathers and Brock left Rusty alone in that room. It goes dark and when he wakes up and sees the Faux Council of Not Thirteen, that's all VR.

My main takeaway from this one was "how much of this is going to be unblurred on the DVD??"

• Love 1
On 9/16/2018 at 10:28 PM, Galileo908 said:

Or was that whole plot a simulation?

I thought the council was real but not the orgy. No way Rusty doesn't know Dr Mrs The Monarch's voice. 

Wow Mark Hamill, I was floored. And then once they showed all the Dean Martins I was like, ooooohhhhh CopyCat. Hah.

I love me a good heist, and this had a lot of action in it too.

I don't know how Hench and the Monarch got away since they had both the teleporters together. I actually thought the one was going to fall into the other there at the end and no one would get them. 

Question: Since the VR equipment consisted of goggles, headphones, and a pump unit (or maybe it would be more accurate to call it a unit pump), how was Rusty able to taste/feel the orphan sashimi? Similar questions apply for the fountain water, the bar that he was leaning against, and the "working girl" grabbing his wrist.

35 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I don't know how Hench and the Monarch got away since they had both the teleporters together. I actually thought the one was going to fall into the other there at the end and no one would get them. 

It's easy to miss, but the plaza where they ended up with the teleporters at the end has a subway entrance on one side. They probably just made a hasty retreat that way. You can hear a train going past while Brock glares down over the railing.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, Galileo908 said:

I feel like it's gonna be in that gray area of between "too much" and "not enough."

Even with the pixelation it was "too much."

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

They probably just made a hasty retreat that way. You can hear a train going past while Brock glares down over the railing.

Oh ok. I didn't hear it. 

I think the VR is just something you have to handwave. This is a show where teleportation is real.