Type keyword(s) to search

Juliet, Naked (2018)

• Start Topic

Juliet, Naked is the story of Annie (the long-suffering girlfriend of Duncan) and her unlikely transatlantic romance with once revered, now faded, singer-songwriter, Tucker Crowe, who also happens to be the subject of Duncan's musical obsession.

Trailer:

This was lovely. I also liked that they didn't go the cliche route of having Ethan's character break down, leading to Rose's character breaking up with him. It just felt very lovely and real.

Also, Ethan Hawke really was one of the most beautiful early 20-something men to have ever been captured on film. Geez. I kind of wish they had used a clip of him playing in Reality Bites. They definitely lucked out that there's no shortage of grunge era Ethan Hawke pics.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

This was lovely. I also liked that they didn't go the cliche route of having Ethan's character break down, leading to Rose's character breaking up with him. It just felt very lovely and real.

Also, Ethan Hawke really was one of the most beautiful early 20-something men to have ever been captured on film. Geez. I kind of wish they had used a clip of him playing in Reality Bites. They definitely lucked out that there's no shortage of grunge era Ethan Hawke pics.

I still haven't seen it yet! The movie came out the weekend that I went out of town and then I was busy when I got back and I'm about to go out of town again! Thanks for reminding me to go see it while it's still in theaters. I liked the book a lot so maybe I'll reread it on the plane as further motivation to go see the movie.

Yes, clips of him playing in his band in Reality Bites would have been perfect. He was at maximum appeal then (looks wise, not his character in that movie who was kind of a dick).

SO so sweet movie. I loved it. It felt human, and I missed these kind of movies, I'm sucker for rom com especially with music component. It isn't that dominant here, but it is main story. It has heart, comedy, nice pacing and Ethan Hawke is really good looking for "grandpa".  I am giving it 10/10. Would watch again. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I recorded this when we had Showtime free for a month, and finally watched it today. It was perfect for this afternoon. I've been feeling really tired, and wasn't in the mood to start another series. 

I had a crush on Ethan, when I was a teenager, but I only watched this for Rose Byrne. I ended up liking his character, when I didn't think I would. Loved the last line from the ex's review.  *lmao*

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3

It's been a while since I last read this book, but there were definitely some changes made for the movie. They skipped Duncan and Annie's vacation to the United States (where Duncan insisted on going to Minneapolis so that they could go to the bar where Tucker played his last show and stare at the bathroom). On the same trip, they also went to San Francisco so that Duncan could go to Juliet's house to stare at that too (and then he ended up inadvertently breaking in). Removing the trip and Duncan's pilgrimages to Tucker related locations made him seem slightly less obsessed than he came off in the book.

In the book, Annie didn't have a sister so all of those subplots were new for the movie (and if I recall correctly, her dad didn't work at the museum - she just got a job there on her own after college - but the exhibit and the dead shark were in the book).

The two biggest changes are that in the book, Lizzie had a miscarriage and Tucker did not leave baby Grace in the sink at a random club in Minneapolis.

I didn't mind most of the changes though. The casting was great. Ethan Hawke as a washed up rock star was inspired (I agree that footage from Reality Bites would have been perfect!). Chris O'Dowd was great at being a pretentious, obnoxiously obsessed, self-righteous jackass. Rose Byrne did a good job being understandably annoyed with her boyfriend, her situation, and herself.

• Love 1

I watched this charming little gem on Netflix last night.  I tuned in mainly for Chris O'Dowd because I found him delightfully charming in Bridesmaids and for Rose Byrne who was also great in Bridesmaids and anything else I have watched her in.  Neither disappointed here, nor did Ethan Hawke.  What a great role for him.  He owned the part and was so genuinely authentic as the retired (& tired) musician.  The little guy playing his son Jackson was also great. 

Great little movie!  They don't make many like this anymore, sadly.  The ending with Duncan giving his review on Tucker's new album was hilarious.  I watched it twice to catch all the little details and to read the song titles on the album.  Too cute.

• Love 4