Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: Sam & Brad K.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sam and Brad’s families have known each other since Sam and Brad were kids. Brad’s sister was Sam’s best friend growing up, and Brad’s father coached Sam’s softball team. Although Sam and Brad always had a crush on each other, it wasn’t until they were adults that they finally connected. But when Brad introduced Sam to heroin and the two quickly got married, their drug-fueled codependency became the basis of their relationship. Sam lost custody of her son from a previous relationship and her career as a dental assistant, and recently contracted Hepatitis C. Brad has had multiple overdoses, lost his career, and his daughter from an earlier marriage. Their families are desperate for Sam and Brad to get clean, but are unable to work together as a united front, leaving Brad and Sam to continue on a downward spiral. Now they fear that rock bottom will mean both of their deaths.

Edited by tljgator

I was relieved (okay, and also surprised) to see the screen note they were both sober since September.  I never think it's a great sign when two codependent addicts choose to both go home and remain in their relationship in recovery - especially not early recovery.   But there was something very likable about them.  I wish them the best. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Earl Is Dead said:

I was relieved (okay, and also surprised) to see the screen note they were both sober since September. 

Agreed -- especially when they said he had violated rules or some such and had to leave early. I was also particularly glad that he managed to show up for his sister during her cancer treatment, given the state he was in; it seemed to mean a lot to her that he made the effort.

• Love 5
(edited)

I’m glad they stayed sober.  I didn’t really have strong feelings for them one way or the other. I did  have strong feelings about their families. 

Sams parents blamed Brad for turning their little girl into an addict. The same little girl who got addicted to opioids more than once before she got together with Brad. The same girl who asked him to inject her with heroin. They however at least had stopped giving them actual money. 

Brads’  parents, both recovering addicts themselves, gave Brad whatever he wanted in terms of money. Brad’s Mom at least asked him to do chores for the money. 

The people I felt for were the children and Brads sister. She’s having surgery for cancer in the middle of all of this, including the filming and intervention. Her parents are too busy dealing with Brad to help her. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9

Oof, that was a tough watch, but I'm so glad they both got clean and were building new, healthy patterns of supporting each other in sobriety.   There's a lot of family baggage there for both of them, and I was so glad the family members listened to Jeff Double-V when he told them to take off so they could let cooler heads prevail.  

I can't even imagine how Brad must have felt to have his family fall apart in his teens.  I hope he's been able to start working through that and come up with some good strategies for dealing with those emotions.  I was really touched by his interaction with his sister, both when she confided in him about her health and then with his going to visit her in the hospital after her procedure.  Sometimes in the edited down shows we miss out on the bits of humanity that find their way through the addiction.  Kind of a good reminder that there really is a good person underneath all the chemical dependency/lying/stealing, etc. that Intervention shows.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, two hours of watching these addicts shoot up and drive around looking for money to shoot up was a bit much.  I get that there were two codependent subjects here, but neither story was very compelling...the families were strong and the results not very unexpected.  Did the parents of Sam really call their big ten (?) year old grandson Baby Jay?  THAT'S not going to get his ass kicked at school.  I think Sam just called him Jay.

• Love 4

I struggle with sympathy for the addicts who are PARENTS of MINOR kids and still choose to chase the high instead. We saw Sam acknowledge exactly how she's destroying her kid and how much he misses her. They didn't show Brad having a moment's concern about his daughter.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, IvySpice said:

I struggle with sympathy for the addicts who are PARENTS of MINOR kids and still choose to chase the high instead. We saw Sam acknowledge exactly how she's destroying her kid and how much he misses her. They didn't show Brad having a moment's concern about his daughter.

Yes, I noticed that too.  He's a real prince, that one.  Didn't seem like he made any effort to integrate her into his or Sam's family.

• Love 1