Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Carry Tiger To Mountain

Sunny and Bajie seek help from a reclusive former Master; The Widow must confront a spectre from her past as Chau's slave.

DVR Alert: 10:05pm - 11:06pm

I thought the witch might transfer Henry's gift to Sunny awakening his own gift, but instead she reveals that Sunny already has it buried deep inside him which is pretty obvious by now. I expect that instead of controlling Henry's gift, Pilgrim will unintentionally release Sunny's sealing his fate. I wonder what the witch is really up to. Maybe she can't confront Pilgrim herself so she set up for Sunny to do the job for her.

Jeez alliances are shifting quickly. At least, I understand The Widow/Tilda/Nathaniel/Giaus, but M.K. sure did get taken in by Pilgrim quickly.

When they showed Gaius Chau fighting, it was so obviously the stunt man that I was stunned. I don't remember the show ever being that sloppy before.

I was glad to see the background on Minerva and Juliet Chau.  Nice to see that Chau was a psychopath from a young age.  She caned Minerva way more than ten times, by the way, and Gaius at the very least should have pointed this out.  Apparently old Baron Chau didn't have a problem with a child's disobedience when they were trying to cane someone to death.

Cressida has the ability to know when Chau's lying.  She still really creeps me out.

What a coward Chau was, pretending not to know about the attack on Pilgrim.  I didn't think her the type to hide behind her brother.

The poppy fields are gorgeous.  Sonny riding through the poppy fields is what first got me watching the show.

Is it possible that all dark ones lose their abilities in early adulthood? I don't remember how long Baijie's power has been gone, but Minerva is still young and lost hers a while ago.

53 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I thought the witch might transfer Henry's gift to Sunny awakening his own gift, but instead she reveals that Sunny already has it buried deep inside him which is pretty obvious by now. I expect that instead of controlling Henry's gift, Pilgrim will unintentionally release Sunny's sealing his fate. I wonder what the witch is really up to. Maybe she can't confront Pilgrim herself so she set up for Sunny to do the job for her.

Jeez alliances are shifting quickly. At least, I understand The Widow/Tilda/Nathaniel/Giaus, but M.K. sure did get taken in by Pilgrim quickly.

When they showed Gaius Chau fighting, it was so obviously the stunt man that I was stunned. I don't remember the show ever being that sloppy before.

I thought your idea about Henry was brilliant.  Oh well.

My market seriously fucked up the MK/Pilgrim scene.  They cut into it right after MK said he was seeking the man who killed his mother.  There was a stupid commercial, and then it returned in the middle of everything important.  It was right before Pilgrim took his arm.  But having missed the important part, I'm not surprised that MK was won over.  He switches allegiances often.  He's been seeking something that he's never found, and now Pilgrim is promising him everything.  Religious fanatics prey on the lost and disillusioned.

I feel for Castor.  They use him up and then Cressida betrays him, IMO.  He's been forced to scar himself and kill on order for a higher calling.  This time he went out and killed unarmed refugees and his faithfulness was used as a weapon.  I really hope MK betrays them after this. 

I read your comment before the fight scene and really watched the Gaius fighting scene closely.  I didn't really see a stunt man but maybe they found one who looked a lot like Gaius.

• Love 2

I mean no disrespect, but in my opinion, adding Nick Frost was a huge mistake.  I really liked the first season, and pretty much every character in it as well as the beautiful look and amazing fight scenes.  He may be a fine actor (I loved Hot Fuzz) but Nick - his out of place accent, his preposterous back story, his "humor" - just doesn't fit. It's not that I don't like new characters because I like Pilgrim and Nathaniel (and Cressida).  I don't think pairing him with Daniel Wu has done Sonny an favors.  The good part of me FF pretty much most through their scenes  means less tv time, so that is good.

That said, I liked this episode a lot, mainly because I'm team Minerva all the way.  The Widow is not only stunning, but she has the most luminous skin I think I've ever seen.  I don't know if that is Emily Beckham or the makeup artist, but wow. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Nice to see that Chau was a psychopath from a young age.  She caned Minerva way more than ten times, by the way, and Gaius at the very least should have pointed this out. 

Home School Fail...

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I mean no disrespect, but in my opinion, adding Nick Frost was a huge mistake.  I really liked the first season, and pretty much every character in it as well as the beautiful look and amazing fight scenes.  He may be a fine actor (I loved Hot Fuzz) but Nick - his out of place accent, his preposterous back story, his "humor" - just doesn't fit. It's not that I don't like new characters because I like Pilgrim and Nathaniel (and Cressida).  I don't think pairing him with Daniel Wu has done Sonny an favors.  The good part of me FF pretty much most through their scenes  means less tv time, so that is good.

That said, I liked this episode a lot, mainly because I'm team Minerva all the way.  The Widow is not only stunning, but she has the most luminous skin I think I've ever seen.  I don't know if that is Emily Beckham or the makeup artist, but wow. 

I'm a Minerva fan too.  But I think Lydia is absolutely gorgeous, and I appreciate the actress showing natural aging versus deforming botox/fillers.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Ihe poppy fields are gorgeous.  Sonny riding through the poppy fields is what first got me watching the show.

They really are beautiful, but they being all anyone grows (and not that many people seem to use the opium) is one of the sillier things about this show. 

• Love 2