Type keyword(s) to search

RBG (2018)

• Start Topic

(edited)

A look at the life and work of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

At the age of 84, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon. But without a definitive Ginsburg biography, the unique personal journey of this diminutive, quiet warrior’s rise to the nation’s highest court has been largely unknown, even to some of her biggest fans—until now. RBG is a revelatory documentary exploring Ginsburg’s exceptional life and career from award-winning filmmakers Betsy West and Julie Cohen. Includes appearances by Gloria Steinem, NPR’s Nina Totenberg, Bill Clinton, Lily Ledbetter, Ted Olson, Senator Orrin Hatch, Judge Harry Edwards, Eugene Scalia, authors Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, and her children Jane and James.

Trailer:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I saw this movie a few weeks ago but forgot to post about it here! The theater was packed, which is a rare sight for documentaries. The theater where I often see movies like this shows both mainstream blockbuster movies and small indie films/documentaries. Sometimes the documentaries have less than 20 people in the theater, so it was nice to see that this one was so well attended.

It was pretty much what I expected - some background about her youth (there wasn't a lot included before college, just the basics and some info about her mother's influence and death), her years in law school and as a lawyer, and then her time as a justice. There were interviews with RBG, her family, her colleagues, and her friends (including some women who have known her since elementary school). As a documentary, it wasn't groundbreaking in that it didn't offer a lot of new information, but I enjoyed hearing from both RBG herself and then getting the perspective of her friends/family/colleagues. Her granddaughter, who recently graduated from law school, said that they discussed several of the cases RBG worked on in her classes and that even though she knew who her grandmother was and what she did, she always just thought of her as her bubbe.

Unfortunately, the theater where I saw this didn't have the awesome cardboard cutout where you could take pictures with RBG's collar!

• Love 10

It was hilarious watching her watching SNL. 

I really enjoyed it.  Perhaps it didn't offer new information for many of us of a certain age, but I suspect that people who might not know the foundations of feminism (and how recent some of SCOTUS' decisions regarding equal rights were) might learn something. 

And on a shallow note, RBG needs to shut down her granddaughter's vocal fry before the girl hurts herself.

• Love 6
On 6/19/2018 at 6:41 PM, Browncoat said:

It was hilarious watching her watching SNL. 

I really enjoyed it.  Perhaps it didn't offer new information for many of us of a certain age, but I suspect that people who might not know the foundations of feminism (and how recent some of SCOTUS' decisions regarding equal rights were) might learn something. 

And on a shallow note, RBG needs to shut down her granddaughter's vocal fry before the girl hurts herself.

It was nice to see that she has a sense of humor about the SNL skits. I think sometimes people assume that if you have a serious job, you're serious 24/7.

I hope this movie inspires people who don't know much about RBG to read up about her, whether it's one of the books or just her wikipedia page. I remember learning about the careful way she built her cases to create the legal foundation for equal rights and loving her methodical approach.

• Love 8

I saw this today and found it much more touching and educational than I expected to. I appreciated the detail they shared about cases she argued as a lawyer in front of the court, and the look into her marriage and family. I thought the whole film was quite moving and really well done.

• Love 11

I was impressed with this documentary! I don’t agree with her on all issues but she is incredibly impressive. I loved the parts with her husband Marty and relationship with Scalia the most.  Also loved her style!

The granddaughter was my least favorite part. She (the granddaughter) was mugging for the camera and so impressed with herself. 

• Love 2

CNN will air RBG on September 3 & September 9

As part of its promotion for the documentary, which has earned an impressive $14 million at the box office, CNN is launching a companion podcast next week called “Beyond Notorious,” which will be devoted to Ginsburg’s life, with guests including Ginsburg’s granddaughter, Clara Spera, and the son of the late Justice Antonin Scalia, Eugene Scalia. CNN’s Poppy Harlow and Jeffrey Toobin will host.

• Love 2

I know this is a selfish thing to say, but in the wake of RBG's death I'm really glad that they made this documentary while she was still alive - not only so she could be included but so that she could see just how much interest people had in her when it was released in theaters. I hope she knew just how much of an impact she had on people.

FYI - you can watch RBG on hulu (for free!) and you can rent it for $3 on amazon, youtube, vudu, fandango, google play, etc.

• Love 10
On 9/19/2020 at 12:26 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know this is a selfish thing to say, but in the wake of RBG's death I'm really glad that they made this documentary while she was still alive - not only so she could be included but so that she could see just how much interest people had in her when it was released in theaters. I hope she knew just how much of an impact she had on people.

I finally watched this, and I feel the same way.  As someone in the documentary said, who is more dismissed than an old woman, and here's this 84-year-old woman who everyone wants to hear what she has to say.

I already knew her professional history (I'm a civil rights lawyer specializing in women's rights) and what a great marriage she and Marty had, so I didn't learn anything new (which is why it took me so long to watch), but I enjoyed it.  I cried afterward, because watching it with our Supreme Court as it is now and will remain for a long time is depressing.

• Love 7