Type keyword(s) to search

Claudia: All actions are justified

Claudia is becoming hateful, and she's rapidly turning into the best example of a cold warrior who loses her reason for being and gets nostalgic about a past that was indeed horrible and actually meaningless. It would be masterful to revisit Martha's life and see how she likes her "new life" in the Soviet Union!

Do you recall the romantic relationship that Claudia described some seasons ago?  It didn't end happy. I can't recall what happened though.  Do you recall if whatever happened, happened in US or Russia? 

16 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

She also had a love affair with that older man who mentored Elizabeth.  He was killed, and Claudia eventually killed the man that ordered his death.

I wasn't sure if we should take that as a given but it sure seemed like they had an affair. She did say she loved him. Zhukov that was.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I always believed her about that.  When she killed that CIA guy, against orders?  I was convinced.  That was personal.

Oh yes, the relationship was absolutely real. When she said she loved him she meant him. I just held out a small question of whether they had an affair or if it was a non-romantic love.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/arts/2014/11/07/from-east-texas-to-hollywood-margo-martindale-wins-us-over

I've been looking for photos of her as a teen or younger woman.  I can't find any of them.  Here is a nice article about her though, and some childhood photos.

Oh, and @sistermagpie, I think they fucked like rabbits.  It's Russia, it's the war, it's everything and also finding someone who believes as you do, and has been through what you've been through.  :~)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

, I think they fucked like rabbits.  It's Russia, it's the war, it's everything and also finding someone who believes as you do, and has been through what you've been through.  :~)

I think so too, to be honest. She still remembers the first time she saw him, standing over two dead Nazis. Claudia probably jumped him right there and then!

• Love 2
On 5/7/2018 at 4:24 PM, icemiser69 said:

I do think Elizabeth and Claudia are clinging to their visions of a USSR that no longer exists.

You know, something I've never understood about Communism is, if it's such a great way of life, then why aren't people allowed to leave?  That brings me to the rapturous reminiscing Elizabeth and Claudia were doing about "home".  Starving to death?  Having to eat rodents? Sharing one apartment with several "other families"? And they want to spread that lifestyle to the rest of the world, why?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Pink-n-Green said:

You know, something I've never understood about Communism is, if it's such a great way of life, then why aren't people allowed to leave?  That brings me to the rapturous reminiscing Elizabeth and Claudia were doing about "home".  Starving to death?  Having to eat rodents? Sharing one apartment with several "other families"? And they want to spread that lifestyle to the rest of the world, why?

I think that they blame the devastation on the war. Here's something on it.

Even though it won the conflict, the war had a profound and devastating long-term effect in the Soviet Union. The financial burden was catastrophic: by one estimate, the Soviet Union spent $192 billion. The US lend-lease around $11 billion in supplies to the Soviet Union during the war.[211] Anastasia V. Zotova gives a slightly different estimate of 666.4 billion rubles in Soviet military expenditure during the war, equivalent to $125.7 billion.[212]

American experts estimate that the Soviet Union lost almost all the wealth it gained from the industrialization efforts during the 1930s. Its economy also shrank by 20% between 1941 and 1945 and did not recover its pre-war levels all until the 1960s. British historian Clive Ponting estimates that the war damages amounted to 25 years of the Soviet Gross National Product.[213] 40% of the Soviet housing was damaged or destroyed.[214] Out of 2.5 million housing dwellings in the German occupied territories, over a million were destroyed. This rendered some 25 million Soviet citizens homeless.[215] The German occupation encompassed around 85 million Soviet citizens, or almost 45% of the entire Soviet population. At least 12 million Soviets fled towards east from the invasion. The Soviet sources claim that the Axis powers destroyed 1,710 towns and 70,000 villages, as well as 65,000 km of railroad tracks.[216]

Official Soviet sources claim that the Soviet union lost 26 million people during the war. While its human losses were undoubtedly high, some historians and academics question this figure. Bruce Robellet Kuniholm, professor of public policy and history, estimates that the Soviet side suffered 11,000,000 military deaths and additional 7,000,000 civilian deaths, thus amounting to a total of 18 million fatalities.[217] Hubert Poetschke accepts the Soviet figure of 10.7 million military deaths as correct, yet assumes that the figure of 11.8 million civilian deaths was "fabricated for political reasons". He argues that this includes 6 million people killed by Stalin's repressions. When this correction is included, Poetschke delivers a figure of 16.5 million fatalities, amounting to 10% of Soviet's population.[218] Timothy C. Dowling estimates that in the 1,417 days of war, the Soviet Union "lost about 800 dead every minute" and that this is equivalent of the entire US population in 1940 living west of the Missouri River.[219]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_in_World_War_II