Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Will Works Out

To weigh in on the Gays at the Gym issue with the perspective of middle age. . . when this episode would have aired, I was living on Portland. There were just two gyms that were known for being popular among the gays. One was the sort of place that played club music and had a reputation for shower hookups. The other was an upscale gym in downtown that was also popular among young professionals. At the Princeton Athletic Club, in 1999, in Portland, Oregon, you could be kicked out, and ultimately have your membership revoked, for acting or dressing "too gay."

It was a different time.

I was living in Toronto when this episode aired and went to the Y that was walking distance from my house, and even at that gym, there were rumours about hookups in the men's locker room. Because it was a Portuguese neighbourhood, there was also a rumour that someone got kicked out for grilling a fish on the rocks in the sauna.

I was living in Toronto when this episode aired and went to the Y that was walking distance from my house, and even at that gym, there were rumours about hookups in the men's locker room. Because it was a Portuguese neighbourhood, there was also a rumour that someone got kicked out for grilling a fish on the rocks in the sauna.

I would be more freaked out about cooking a fish on the sauna rocks then people screwing in the locker room. Those rocks will ALWAYS smell like fish. Showers can be bleached.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2018 at 2:08 PM, April Bloodgate said:

This episode is definitely a rough one to watch now. I'm curious if you can even say this F word on network TV anymore. 

Channels that air old Law & Orders in syndication bleep it.

• Love 1

It's interesting that they bleep it now. I get the impression (mostly from reddit, so who knows) younger gays are way more likely to call each other that these days. No one used that word affectionately back in the 90s.