Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first two seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

(edited)

I just rewatched season one of Longmire. I am struck by how much the production values have declined although they are not bad. There are fewer extras, stunts, and scenes in season 3. The show clearly has undergone budget cuts. The musical score was much more varied in season one compared to now.

Walt was different in season one. He smiled, joked, and laughed a whole lot more although he was obviously grieving his wife. He was also an ass at times, albeit an entertaining one. It is unbelievable how Walt beats up all these guys much younger him.

From the beginning, Walt and Vic are closer to each other than the others in the office. Vic is unhappily married and clearly drifting away from barely seen Season. Henry had a ton more to contribute to the stories. His strong connection to the Cheyenne community and his friendship with Walt was more prominent. Ferg also got more airtime. Branch was a likeable enough ass from the star and was clearly set up as Walt’s nemesis; baiting him and sleeping with Cady.

The show set up some strong recurring characters like Jamie, Lucien, Bob, Matthias, and Omar. I really love Lucien. Too bad we don’t see more of him. Same with Omar who is hilarious.

I can’t believe that I missed the implication that Jamie, Walt’s informant, provided Martha with weed when she had cancer. It is time to wrap up the mystery of Walt’s wife’s murderer. It has gone on far too long.

Matthias hating Walt for arresting Malachi (not mentioned by name) was set up in the pilot. I had totally forgotten. We were getting to know Matthias in season one, it is a shame that they did not continue this story. He had a lot of potential as a character.

Someone on the episode thread asked what kind of law Cady practiced, she worked for family law attorney.

I had forgotten what slimeball Nighthorse was in season one. He is capable of anything. Branch was a fool getting into bed with him.

I am watching season 2 next.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I haven't rewatched the episodes yet, even though I bought them through iTunes (I like the show that much).  My impression that even though it was the first season, things seemed tighter.  The stories worked better.  The relationships made sense.  Vic wasn't what she's become, but more of a good solid #2 for Walt to play off.

There was way more Henry, and way more Indian culture.  I think the biggest criticism of season 1 is that Walt was Superman!!!

Unfortunately, all shows start putting away the check book after awhile.  They all start cutting corners.  It's cheaper and easier to shoot inside a studio rather than going into the woods.  But for a show like Longmire, that's really going to hurt.  I remember hearing from people during season 1 and the universal compliment I heard was: Great scenery! 

(edited)

I can't bear to look at the earlier seasons because will be sad to see the humor, the scenery,  the light touch, gone. Now it is all relentlessly grim, with the main characters at each other's throats. Main characters should work together vs external problems. Instead devolves into internecine mayhem--murder/abuse/kidnap/betrayal of main chars or their relatives. Shot, poisoned, drugged, not even time to take a shower.

The same thing happened with Suits, so maybe it's inevitable. Would love to know why this happens. Is this kind of plot is easier to write, or somebody feels the need to up the stakes? If so, why? Not for my sake. Calm the f*ck down I say.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1

I'm in the middle (Ep6) of season 1. Am I ever going to learn the following?

1) How his wife died? Was it cancer? 

2) What caused the scars on his back (that we saw being stitched up)?

3) About those "visions" that come and go in the Sheriff's minds eye?

4) Does he find out his daughter is bedding Branch? 

Thx

I'm in the middle (Ep6) of season 1. Am I ever going to learn the following?

It gets better and better, Mindthinkr.  All will be revealed in time - but not by the end of Season 1.  But not necessarily when you think it will.  There are some really climactic  episodes in the middle of a season rather than what you'd expect at the end.  It's a really innovative series for that kind of thing!

• Love 2