Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Mother's Little Helper

The blood-soaked body of 76-year-old Franklin Bradshaw is found behind the counter of his auto-parts store, prompting detectives to dig into the strained history of his family and uncover a hotbed of deceit, manipulation and all-consuming greed.

Spoiler

Now ain’t that some shit? She bullies her son into killing his grandfather, her father, and she gets to still live off the fortune after being paroled. If the fortune you inherited was due to you killing the benefactor, shouldn’t access to that money be revoked?

• Love 8

Gee, how nice that Frances got to continue living off her fortune once paroled, despite plotting her father's murder. How the hell is that allowed to happen? Glad the truth about her role in the crime came out during trial, though, at least. 

And the different last name. Who'da thought that'd be what would trip them up, huh? 

Everything with Tony was weird and creepy, too. Given the way his mom was, though, I think that kind of seems to explain some of his unstable behavior. 

• Love 5

What a disappointing and weak episode!   Yes, the sons names were Larry and Marc.  I suspect there was legal wrangling going which precluded ACTR from using their real names or images.  Marc (Karl) is no longer in prison and the last I heard, Larry (Tony) was living in LA.   Yes, Frances did inherit from her mother, she was the main beneficiary.  The episode made no attempt to explore their mother/daughter relationship or for that matter Berenice's with Franklin's.  Berenice hated Franklin and whatever Frances wanted, Berenice gave it to her, including paying for Frances's legal team.  The New York City Ballet was omitted but Frances donated a lot of her blood money to them.  ACTR should have skipped this one because it was way too watered down.  

• Love 6

Marc was or still is a bigwig with an essential oils company. Its easily googled.

Lavinia is a massage therapist and pretty much normal considering. She was so young so that is probably what saved her.

Larry is completely hidden away.

This story/crime is long and complicated, but there are 2 books very much worth reading if interested.   

Marilyn Reagan, Frances's sister is the only living sibling, at least the last time I checked.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Dixie said:

"The Nutcracker" by Shana Alexander is about this case.  It's very interesting.

The title "Nutcracker" is in reference to Frances's ties to the NYC Ballet and trying to groom Lavina into a world class ballerina.  The second book is "At Mother's Request" written by Jonathan Coleman.  Coleman was featured on ACTR.   Neither Alexander or Coleman used Lavina's real name because Lavina was still a young child when the books were written.  However, why they used fake names for all three decades later is a mystery because a quick google search reveals this information.  Someone must have threatened to sue but why considering it's public record Larry almost killed his roommate and Marc killed his grandfather?

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

The New York City Ballet was omitted but Frances donated a lot of her blood money to them.

I remember the show pointing out she'd donated a ton of money to them and thus bought her way onto the board of directors.   Count me in as another one who just was confused by the name changes since there have been at least two books written about this case - I've only read the Shana Alexander one.  I vividly remember the trial itself since I had only recently moved to NYC and it was all over the news around here, what with Frances being a big charity socialite and all.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

I watched it this morning.

Funny they left out that Franklin and Berenice had a son Robert.  Of course it would of taken up too much time to explain it.

I didn't realize Marilyn was featured on the show, she has aged well.

She left out a big part of why she ended up with the gun. Frances had a joint bank account with Richard Behrens and she withdrew it all. 90% of it was his money and he begged her to repay him and she ignored him. That is the main reason he called Marilyn.

The one thing that has never been explained to my satisfaction is why Marc and Frances did not get life without parole. In most states its mandatory when premeditated murder is committed, especially with pecuniary gain.

I can see where a deal might of been arranged since Marc ended up testifying against his mother, but Frances should of never gotten parole.

• Love 3