Type keyword(s) to search

Momzillas: It's Not Your Wedding, Lady!

Just in time for Mother's Day, a thread about the women who sometimes Just. Don't. Get. It.

I'm old enough to be the Mother of the Bride, but 99% of the time, I side with the bride in these situations.

Moms, remember:

• She's old enough to dress herself.
  • Her tattoos aren't going away just because you don't like them.
  • You've probably had a wedding gown of your own.
  • It's not about you.
  • If she's old enough to get married, she's old enough to pick a dress.
  • She brought you to the appointment because she loves you, but she really, in her heart of hearts, doesn't want your honest opinion about the dress. She wants you to share in a special moment, not go all Joan Rivers on her.
  • If you've got very different tastes and don't want to buy her a dress she likes, give her a chunk of money for the wedding itself and tell her to buy her dress out of her own funds.
  • If she's old enough to get married, she's old enough to figure out how to pay for a wedding dress.
  • There are other stores that are cheaper than Kleinfeld's.

That felt good! 

Did I miss anything?

• Love 5

I was thinking of doing a post about the moms, dads and fashionista little sisters earlier but I suck at fleshing out ideas so this is great.

Joan Rivers was more supportive when she was on the show than some mothers we have seen. So was Stacy London. I really hope these people are ramping up the opinionated personality for the show and not like that in real life or it would be horrible to live with. 

• Love 4

The tattoo-hating mom was the worst. Ugh. How could you go on TV and be so mean to your daughter? I was glad the daughter stuck to her guns. She looked great in everything she tried on.

• Love 1

Wasn't crazy about the behavior of any of the moms on this episode really, but I gotta say all that tattoo made me think of was the Blood Eagle episode of 'Vikings'.  If I was a guest at that wedding it would definitely creep me out.  No need for the mom to be so nasty about it though.  Was this really the Mother's day weekend episode?

moved from price point:

The consultants are just trying to make a sale.

Here's the thing: when my mother and grandmother went dress shopping in 1946 my mom wanted a dress that cost $150 and my grandmother said that was too much. So she ended up buying one that cost $100.

My mother is 91 years old and still complains about not getting the dress she wanted. So all you mothers out there, remember that 43 years after you die, 69 years after your daughter's wedding, she'll still be complaining that she never got the dress she wanted.

My daughter got the dress she wanted, and my husband still doesn't know how much he paid for it.

True story: my mom was an absolute nightmare during the planning of my wedding. I wanted a small wedding and an afternoon lawn party, she wanted one of those ghastly catering hall extravaganzas where everything is second rate so you can have a flashy show and invite the immediate world. I got her to back off on the polyester satin cocktail dresses for the bridesmaids by threatening to elope. She'd actually arranged with a relative to sneak into the ceremony with a video camera when I said no. We had to have the priest threaten to stop the ceremony if it came out.

And the part that pushed it across the line from just the usual amount of messed up to truly epic was when she explained that those were all things she wanted from her wedding and didn't get. So I asked her when I got to have the wedding I wanted, and without a scrap of irony she said "When your daughter gets married."

My daughter, for the record, is not OK with this plan.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Watching S9 Ep 3, with the girl who lost 100 pounds (Victoria something?) and the Bad Plastic Surgery Blonde Russian mom.  Ouch.  Here's the thing:  I know Russian people like this.  Everything with these women is about being the hottest girl in the room.  Whether it's tanning beds, plastic surgery, working out like a fiend to fit into skin-tight spandex forever at a nightclub...it is all about their looks.  Where do I even begin?  Here is a girl who looked lovely in everything she tried on.  And there is her mother, with a mouth as wide as the Terrence and Phillip characters on South Park, but it doesn't move from all the bad plastic surgery -- and she doesn't like anything.  I don't know if this mother was looking at her daughter and still seeing a fat girl, or if she was looking at her newly-thin daughter and seeing competition.  I suspect it was the latter.  I know someone, also Russian, with a critical mother like this.  And she is probably going to be a critical mother to HER daughter.  I don't know what it is.  It must be cultural somehow, but it is very sad.  I find myself wondering what both this girl and her mother ended up wearing.

• Love 2
On 5/10/2014 at 1:32 PM, Bella said:

Just in time for Mother's Day, a thread about the women who sometimes Just. Don't. Get. It.

I'm old enough to be the Mother of the Bride, but 99% of the time, I side with the bride in these situations.

Moms, remember:

• She's old enough to dress herself.
  • Her tattoos aren't going away just because you don't like them.
  • You've probably had a wedding gown of your own.
  • It's not about you.
  • If she's old enough to get married, she's old enough to pick a dress.
  • She brought you to the appointment because she loves you, but she really, in her heart of hearts, doesn't want your honest opinion about the dress. She wants you to share in a special moment, not go all Joan Rivers on her.
  • If you've got very different tastes and don't want to buy her a dress she likes, give her a chunk of money for the wedding itself and tell her to buy her dress out of her own funds.
  • If she's old enough to get married, she's old enough to figure out how to pay for a wedding dress.
  • There are other stores that are cheaper than Kleinfeld's.

That felt good! 

Did I miss anything?

I think you nailed them all!  I would love, truly LOVE, a mom who says, "All I see is my daughter's happy face, as that is what matters!!"  Never gonna happen.  The mom who was obsessed (yes obsessed) with her daughter wearing a replica of her own 1978 dress needed to go.  And the rose petal mom?  Anyone remember her?  She was BEYOND obsessed with sewing in rose petals from HER dress into her daughters dress.  

The mom who is all "I KNOW what she likes!" need to shut it, too.  No, you probably don't.  I agree that tatoos are not the best thing but hey your daughter has them so get over it.  Maybe if you had been a little more loosy-goosy she would not have felt the need to tattoo herself up on her 18th birthday.

• Love 1