Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Chapter Twenty-Nine: Primary Colors

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, redfence said:

Veronica isn't white.

In whatever made up latin country her ppl hail from on the show.. She's considered white there.. And for the purposes of the show she's basically a white lady 

Kuasa on LOT... Mama Leonne on Izombie... Toni and Josie on  riverdale better watch out this week.  CW gotta clear space for the ladies of the new charmed and all the drama that's causing

1 minute ago, UNOSEZ said:

In whatever made up latin country her ppl hail from on the show.. She's considered white there.. And for the purposes of the show she's basically a white lady 

?

She's Latina, she and her parents don't look white to me, and the show acknowledged when she first joined the Pussycats that she isn't white. 

How can she be considered white in a made up latin country (if she comes from one)--you don't know the rules of a made up country, do you?

'Basically a white lady' which means...

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, redfence said:

?

She's Latina, she and her parents don't look white to me, and the show acknowledged when she first joined the Pussycats that she isn't white. 

How can she be considered white in a made up latin country (if she comes from one)--you don't know the rules of a made up country, do you?

'Basically a white lady' which means...

Latina isn't a race.. 

I said made up country because its never been established exactly where Hiram and Hermione are from.. Sometimes shows create foreign countries as stand INS to not offend anyone.. 

And by white I mean whatever country she's from the ppl who looked like her with her skin and features are considered white a few 100 years ago she would've owned slaves if it were her prerogative..  The laws in said fake country would be slanted in the favor of her and those who look like her... 

If you don't believe me go look at the history of oh I dunno Colombia Venezuela Cuba Brazil Costa Rica Panama Puerto Rico etc.. 

On the show almost all of hirams traits and all his "family " stuff has been lifted from the Italian mafia... 

And other than dropping the occasional "Mija" they drop almost no Spanish or Portuguese (Camila's language)...  So yeah... White lady... No shade I like her.. Just hope that clarifies my point

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Latina isn't a race.. 

I said made up country because its never been established exactly where Hiram and Hermione are from.. Sometimes shows create foreign countries as stand INS to not offend anyone.. 

And by white I mean whatever country she's from the ppl who looked like her with her skin and features are considered white a few 100 years ago she would've owned slaves if it were her prerogative..  The laws in said fake country would be slanted in the favor of her and those who look like her... 

If you don't believe me go look at the history of oh I dunno Colombia Venezuela Cuba Brazil Costa Rica Panama Puerto Rico etc.. 

On the show almost all of hirams traits and all his "family " stuff has been lifted from the Italian mafia... 

And other than dropping the occasional "Mija" they drop almost no Spanish or Portuguese (Camila's language)...  So yeah... White lady... No shade I like her.. Just hope that clarifies my point

Latina isn't a race, but many Latinos don't consider themselves white. For good reason. I would never call one white unless they said they identify that way.

Veronica doesn't live in a Latino country. She lives in the United States, which has different standards for whiteness. 

I agree about the Italian mafia stuff although I don't think the Lodges are supposed to be part Italian. Just more Riverdale weirdness.

A lot of Latino Americans from the second generation onward don't speak Spanish apart from scattered phrases and words, because their parents wanted them to assimilate and didn't teach it to them.

Edited by redfence
repetitive wording
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, redfence said:

Veronica isn't white.

Veronica is a White Latina.

2 hours ago, redfence said:

but many Latinos don't consider themselves white.

Veronica & other White Latinos can identify however she/they want(s), that doesn't alter how she's/they're perceived to the rest of the world.

There's a reason Gina Rodriguez and America Ferrera are considered Latina actresses and Cameron Diaz and Alexis Bledel are not.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dee said:

Veronica is a White Latina.

Veronica & other White Latinos can identify however she/they want(s), that doesn't alter how she's/they're perceived to the rest of the world.

There's a reason Gina Rodriguez and America Ferrera are considered Latina actresses and Cameron Diaz and Alexis Bledel are not.

Veronica doesn't look as white as  Cameron Diaz and Alexis Bledel. (Though I'm not going to judge their identity either, since there's more to it than looks.) She looks about as white as Sweet Pea, who's played by a Eurasian actor. They both look ethnically ambiguous. 

I notice there's a thread here about race relations in Riverdale, so maybe we should continue this discussion there. I'll wait for you to reply there, or you can do it here and I'll answer you there. edit: here's the thread.

Edited by redfence
added link

Camila Mendes looks are a subjective issue. So we'll simply have to agree to disagree there.

However, that doesn't change, as unosez has said, that Latina is not a race. It's an ethnicity.

So Veronica can simultaneously be both White and Latina.

And again, she can identify as she chooses, but the world perceives her differently. Such are the privileges of whiteness.

7 hours ago, Sonoma said:

It doesn't matter if "Latino" isn't a "race" or how often someone is speaking Spanish in their household. It's still IMO dismissive and disrespectful to refer to Veronica or Camila (and myself for that matter) as just another "white lady". I could go into a huge narrative and debate about it, the way some of us Latinas had to do when I attended UC Berkeley and some would try to dismiss us as "just white women", but I won't. At least not on a Riverdale forum. But if you're going to address race relations, as some of you have on this forum, let's not go there either with who/what makes a Latina a Latina vs a basic "white lady". Please, let's just not.

I apologize and ur 100 percent right that this really isn't  the place... The point I was trying to make is that the show treats Veronica like either a Manhattan WASP... Or a Mafia princess depending on the need.. Now that's not Camila's/Veronica's fault that's the showrunners and writers... My dad 's family is from Sao Paulo I've got Afro and Euro Brazilian grandparents and cousins.. I know especially in America that we can have a pretty narrow view on who is and who looks Latina the Gina Torres' and the Joanna Garcia Swishers have been shut out.. So if my post made you feel like I was trying to sideline you I'm very sorry... I probably shouldn't be expecting racial or social nuance from a show that puts a way well too spoken 16 year old who dresses like she  does into a mental asylum for conversion therapy. 

11 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I probably shouldn't be expecting racial or social nuance from a show that puts a way well too spoken 16 year old who dresses like she  does into a mental asylum for conversion therapy. 

Or a show where "quality mother-daughter time" can be used to describe getting rid of a dead body ;)

This is not a show meant to be taken seriously. Every single storyline has an element of ridiculousness and implausibility to it.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I probably shouldn't be expecting racial or social nuance from a show that puts a way well too spoken 16 year old who dresses like she  does into a mental asylum for conversion therapy. 

If a show cast actors of color solely as props, and regularly engages in racist tropes in its writing, they deserve to be called out about it. Repeatedly.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dee said:

If a show cast actors of color solely as props, and regularly engages in racist tropes in its writing, they deserve to be called out about it. Repeatedly.

True feel you on that.. We gonna be busy on these boards if charmed goes to series.. Smh

Looks like Josie will find out it wasn't chuck.. And I read somewhere that they may finally be ready to take him off the proverbial bench.. So who knows we may be turning a corner

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

True feel you on that.. We gonna be busy on these boards if charmed goes to series.. Smh

Looks like Josie will find out it wasn't chuck.. And I read somewhere that they may finally be ready to take him off the proverbial bench.. So who knows we may be turning a corner

I wouldn't get my hopes up. This is the CW. If actors of color aren't the BFF of the white leads or the Big Bad of their shows, they're virtually invisible.

(edited)

Archie is a completely worthless character and just a POS, at this point, who will betray anyone (including family and best friend) if it serves his interests at the moment. Maybe if they had a stronger actor playing him his motivations would make more sense. 

And I'm not sure I've ever seen a less compelling couple than Veronica and Archie. What do these two have going for them at all? He interacts with her father way more than her. They've barely ever had a conversation where they seem to share interests. 

Veronica's continued SHOCK that people dare call out her parents is making her unbearable. 

And Betty ratted out Kevin when he was behaving in a way that was seriously a danger to himself. The BH was active and going after people who were "sinners" in his mind. Kevin gave someone living in her house whom she was genuinely afraid of ammunition against her. She tried to make him safer. He put her in more danger. I like Kevin but what he did was absolutely wrong and not remotely comparable to her having genuine concerns for his safety. 

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 2