Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix's episode description of this episode is…

"Lt. Dax, preparing to return to her quarters for the evening, is being observed by a male Trill named Selin Peers."

It amuses me that this is so completely off from the plot, so I thought I would share.

I enjoy the start of this episode. It looks like they're going to get away. It looks like they're going to have to find and rescue her. Then out comes the tractor beam, and nope, they do not get away. I love the shot of the ship leaving the screen, the tractor beam following, then the ship slowly being pulled back on screen.

Instead it is a completely different plot. I admit, the first time I saw this, they fooled me.

While this is Dax's first episode, it is really more of Trill episode. Dax barely even speaks throughout the episode.

"You Klaestrons are allies of the Cardassians; your knowledge of the station confirms that they must have given you the layouts. Which not only compromises Bajoran security, but also... annoys us."

Kira says this, especially the last part, in a way that is quite amusing.

Sisko and Kira work well together.

The hundred-year-old judge. I know it is not important to the episode, but imagine what her life was like. This woman was well into her adulthood before the Cardassians ever came. Even her children had probably already reached adulthood. Then the Cardassians came. Year after year, decade after decade. Her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren might have joined the resistance. Maybe she even did herself. Then in her old age, after 60 years, she finally sees the end of it. The Cardassians are finally gone. Bajor finally owns itself again.

"The symbiont within me..."

The way Selin Peers talks really seems to help with Sisko's case. A joined Trill is basically two people put together as one. The way they talk reflect that.

Dax so wanted to kiss the widow in the end.

The final result of the story might have ended in a little irony. Ilon wanted to persecute an innocent woman for the "guilt" of her predecessor. The whole situation with the general is probably not going to be dropped. Despite what the widow believes, the actions of the general are likely to be discovered and made public. As more time passes, more people are going to see him as a villain. Ilon, in the end, will probably be shamed for the actions of his father.

Nice going there, Ilon. You might have avoided it, if you realized that your mother probably knew what she was talking about when she told you not to pursue this. I hope your children and grandchildren give you the same respect that you gave her.

Yes, the early Dax-centric episode actualyl feature Dax very little!

I think they're still trying to figure out what to do with Dax (and more inmportantly, what Terry Farrel can bring to the table beyond the obligatory "eye-candy" role.)

• Love 1

One word.  Brilliant.

Ok, more than one word.

What an awesome way to give me back story on Dax.  What a fabulous way for me to understand the whole Trill thing.  There are so many priceless quotes here, someone upthread said about Kira:

"You Klaestrons are allies of the Cardassians; your knowledge of the station confirms that they must have given you the layouts. Which not only compromises Bajoran security, but also... annoys us."

OMG, I about busted a gut!  It was hilarious, the delivery of those last two words.  Her face!  I was cracking up.

Bashir: Not necessary, Julian. But not forbidden, either. 

HA!

The judge!  I hope I get to see more of her, she was too cool.  "It would have been easier on me, Commander, had you not raised that particular point."  "Lieutenant Dax, you're either two hundred years older than I am or you're about the same age as my great granddaughter. At first I wondered which of those you were. Now I am bothered by the likelihood that you may be both."

Just brilliant I say.  LOVED this episode!

• Love 1

Very, good episode. We finally get to learn more about Dax and Trills.

I loved the judge. Interestingly, the same actress played a judge on an episode of "Northern Exposure", with a very, similar plot. In that episode she also presided over an extradition hearing. The authorities in West Virginia wanted to extradite Chris for crimes he had committed many years earlier. He used a similar defense, that he had changed so much since he moved to Alaska, that he was no longer the same person who had committed the crimes.

I do have a hard time buying that the Federation would have a unilateral extradition treaty with any planet that would allow its citizens to be extradited without a hearing.

Did the judge ever decide if Jadzia could stand trial for the crimes of Curzon Dax? Obviously, it became a moot point, when his innocence was proven, but it would have been nice to get an answer.

• Love 2

You do wonder why they didn't ask what the procedures would be for a joined Trill whose past host committed an offence would be or even whether they (on Trill) are considered legally separate individuals. It wouldn't necessarily be binding, but it would be worth noting what the procedure was on Trill. Though it's entirely possible the Trill government would reply, "we don't allow criminals to become joined, so that could never happen. Just take our word for it!"

• Love 1

You do wonder why they didn't ask what the procedures would be for a joined Trill whose past host committed an offence would be or even whether they (on Trill) are considered legally separate individuals. It wouldn't necessarily be binding, but it would be worth noting what the procedure was on Trill. Though it's entirely possible the Trill government would reply, "we don't allow criminals to become joined, so that could never happen. Just take our word for it!"

I am pretty sure that would be the reply. Lol.
  • Love 1

The dialogue in this episode suggested that someone is not called a "Trill" until after they are joined (Jadzia was asked how long she trained to "become a Trill") - this is clearly at odds with what they establish later, which is that "Trill" is a species designation regardless of whether they are joined or not. Also, Curzon's relationship with the general's widow contradicts Jadzia's statement just a few episodes ago that Trill find romantic relationships beneath them, or at least superfluous. Then again, maybe she was just trying to ditch Dr. Bashir. He sure can't take a hint, can he?

Altogether, it's interesting to see these very early episodes where the writers were still figuring out what some of these species were supposed to be.