Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Chapter Seventy-Six

Jane's fixation on a negative review has left her with writer's block, so Rogelio suggests she take a class to help. With the encouragement of Jane, Rafael is ready to dig into his past. Rogelio is trying to make things less about him and more about Xo, but he grows suspicious when he learns she is keeping a secret from him. Meanwhile, Petra tests the loyalty of her lawyer.

Promo:

I have to say that I really think the show has finally found it's groove again. I've always been a fan of Jane and Rafael but I was willing to accept Jane and Michael as well because it made sense for the characters and they had earned it by the time they got married.  

I love that Jane and Rafael addressed Michael and gave his memory and his place in Jane's life the importance that it deserves while also cherishing their own new relationship.

I'm really enjoying Jane and Rafael's relationship. They really work well as a team and I feel like they really know each other inside and out now.

Loved Alba trying to make Jane and Rafael break, makes me wonder how much she saw when Rafael left that closet with just the cowboy hat ;)

Loved Petra's reaction or lack of one to their dating reveal. It's nice that she finally has a storyline not about Rafael.

Glad that they had Rogelio face the fact that he can be overwhelming and exhausting to the people in his life even if his heart is always in the right place. Loved how he and Xo made up.

Not sure how I feel about Xo possibly having breast cancer. I like the light tone we have at the moment even though this is a telenovela.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 7

I mostly loved the episode but I also worry about how the possible breast cancer story will affect the tone of the show. I feel like it's too real world drama to not have an effect, everything else so far has been mostly over the top telenovela craziness that can sort of be seperated or blended into the lightness. Michael's death was real world drama but we skipped most of the immediate aftermath so we still had a fairly light hearted show. This is the lead's beloved mother possibly battling cancer and I really can't see how you keep the comedy part of dramedy with that. Beyond Xo herself, Rogelio, Alba and Jane would all be profoundly affected in a way I'm not sure leaves room for other stories to be light or comical.

• Love 1

Loved everyone's very different reactions to Jane and Rafael's announcement. Also loved that Rafael's inner critic was wearing as much lavender as possible.

I thought that Xiomara meeting with Brad was going to end up being that she was giving him private lessons before his wedding or something similarly innocent, but I love that they were entering a dance competition just for fun. I was afraid that Xiomara's injury was going to result in the doctor saying that she couldn't dance again which would send her spiraling into depression and regret so is finding a lump more or less sad than that?

As well intentioned as Rogelio's suggestion was, I knew that Jane would not do well at improv. I felt so bad for everyone else in the class, especially her scene partner who kept trying to give her more prompts.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was afraid that Xiomara's injury was going to result in the doctor saying that she couldn't dance again which would send her spiraling into depression and regret so is finding a lump more or less sad than that?

Depends whether the lump turns out to be benign or malignant. I think having Xo go through chemo would be too dark for this show, so it'll probably be just a scare, or at worst very early stage cancer that's easily treatable.

I find myself less invested in the Jane/Rafael love story and more interested in who's trying to frame Petra/blackmail JR. It's hilarious how the show has been butching up Petra's look since she's discovered she's attracted to a woman. First the short hair, now the button-up shirt. Huge departure from the ultra-feminine clothes she's been wearing throughout the whole series. This show does not do anything in a subtle way.

• Love 1

Something about the way Rafael and Jane were talking about Michael made me feel sure for the first time that he's definitely not dead. Not only that but Raf and Jane are so happy together, Rafael has evolved into a very good partner and they've told Mateo who is ecstatic about it. So only something as dramatic as Michael's reappearance feels like it would be big enough to add drama to a fourth season. If Michael had to die because a happily married Jane wasn't dramatic enough, then one season on, Jane and Rafael happily together also won't be allowed to last.

• Love 1
On 11.03.2018 at 12:04 AM, AllyB said:

Something about the way Rafael and Jane were talking about Michael made me feel sure for the first time that he's definitely not dead. Not only that but Raf and Jane are so happy together, Rafael has evolved into a very good partner and they've told Mateo who is ecstatic about it. So only something as dramatic as Michael's reappearance feels like it would be big enough to add drama to a fourth season. If Michael had to die because a happily married Jane wasn't dramatic enough, then one season on, Jane and Rafael happily together also won't be allowed to last.

If he died in a different way (e.g., from the gunshot), it would be more likely. But like this - I can't see it. Alright, TBH I have a couple of crazy ideas for that, but I hope they won't go that way. What I find more likely is Rafael going away to search for his parents and disappearing for some time, or getting kidnapped, something like that. With Michael, the narrator hinted that he'd die early quite early on, as I remember. Sometime after Rafael and Jane got together, and he wasn't letting go, it was said that he'd love her until his last breath... but the tone somehow made me think that it won't be long. I always sensed that the happy ending here was for Jane and Rafael (that, or some twisted ending with Jane ending up single and happy about it), though her being absolutely sure about Michael for quite some time made me doubt it slightly. 

By the way, what happened with the hotel shares after Petra's sister died? Has it been proven that Karl was a real person, officially, and Luisa has them back? 

Rogelio is a national treasure:

Who are you?

I am your inner critic and I'm finally out, baby! I've been waiting 44 years to be set free, and, boy, have I got some things to saaaaaay!

Okay, only 41 years.

No! You're 44, you delusional half-wit!

• Love 3