Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. House Is Back! Comparing The Resident to Other Medical Shows

• Start Topic

I watched the TV show "House" all the time and have seen the re-runs many times. Hugh Laurie as House was a genious in that role.

But this new show "The Resident", I couldn't believe some of what I was seeing. So MUCH of it reminded me of House. If you ever watched House you will understand this better. 

The repeated views of the outside of the hospital from a helicoptor, along with some kind of odd music, for one.

Lots of "insurance" issues with patient care verses cost issues. 

The characters. So many of them are repeats of so many characters from House, but with a more modern uptake. Some LOOK like them, but a lot of them ACT like the same exact characters on House. The Resident star is House except as far as we know he isn't a drug addict. But he is smarter than the rest in medicine, he seems to figure things out before anyone else, (like House), he is a bit of  smart ass, he is a rule breaker. 

The middle eastern guy that is now a first year intern under the star guy , is like the one on House who eventually killed himself?/ I forget his name.

Cutty , on House, the hospital administrator on House and the maybe evil oncologist on Resident physically look so much alike, I actually expected Residen't "Cutty" to be wearing those low  cut tops and tight skirts. 

The nurse girlfriend of the star reminds me so much of Cameron, who was the eventual girlfriend of one of House's team members, but who kept breaking up with him, (like the nurse on Resident is doing).

Then there was House's loyal buddy and friend who was the oncologist on that show. He is that hunk on Resident who was in the military with Residen't main character.

See what you can see similiar., and post here. 

Now to the fact that it is filmed in Atlanta, one thing bothers me. I live an hour from metro Atlanta, why does not one single character sound like they are from the south?  Just because we have a slight different accent doesnt mean we are all stupid. 

Couldn't at least ONE of the characters have an accent like they are actually living in Atlanta? LOL.

• Love 1

Never watched "House" so I really can't say if I agree with those comparisons but I watched ER for 15 years and I can say there are some analogies between that show and "The Resident".

As for characters Devon looks like a more confident Carter. Conrad like a mixture of Dr. Benton and Dr. Ross.

Also, like ER, the show is less focused on personal drama which is not so prominent compared to the medical stuff. 

• Love 2

I watched House, and the only true similarity I see is a non cookie-cutter main character. But House was modeled on Sherlock Holmes, he looked at diseases like at a puzzle to solve first and foremost, and was dismissive and rude with his patients. Whereas Conrad so far is all about healing his patients, finding what they have is a mean to an end which is the very opposite of House. He cares about them beyond the disease, and is actually a jerk to everyone but them. Those two characters, for me, are fundamentally different.

I feel the same about the other comparisons. Devon (The Carter), in particular, is nothing at all like Kutner (oddball) except that both are played by actors of Indian origin.

Not that The Resident doesn't use tropes and archetypes (like insurance vs cost, it's a recurring storyline everywhere) but I watched my fair share of medical shows and imo it's closer to ensemble medical shows like St Elsewhere, ER, Chicago Hope etc. with a "dark side of the moon" twist.

• Love 6
On 2/22/2018 at 10:04 AM, Klapaucius said:

As for characters Devon looks like a more confident Carter. Conrad like a mixture of Dr. Benton and Dr. Ross.

You know, I think that's why Feldman works well for me*. He adds a subtle but welcome counterbalance to Conrad's Ross tendencies, kind of like Greene but without the self-righteousness [stopping at this, not a Greene fan at all].

*Aside from his crush on Mina. The guy's ballsy enough to admire openly a smart and strong woman, because she's smart and strong? I'm a fan.

• Love 2

As pointed out it this has a lot of cost v care issues. Most other medical shows have always had the arrogant doctor in someway as did they the doctor who is at the end of their surgical career. Most other shows have touched on the cost issues but this one really goes at it directly.  In some respects nurse nic reminds of the anthony edwards character on ER along with a touch of Wilson from House. This also doesn't seem to be about diagnosis as it is getting the care or treatment. The drama isn't in what is the problem but how are they going to handle it.

3 hours ago, seniorpatriot said:

WELL, last nite's episode continues to mirror "House." Enter the main character's Dad who he hates into the mix. 

Just like Dr Ross on ER hated his father, back in 1995. I don't meant to be contrary, but a TV character without Daddy issues is a rarity.

7 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

This show reminds me of ER buts its a lot more pointed. Where ER would have the patients lack of insurance as a B plot and their personal story as an A plot this show often flips that script.

I couldn't have said it better. ER addressed those topics but it was never the main focus of an episode or of the entire series.

just watched the pilot, but I kept comparing to greys anatomy hoping to see someone as good as yang or karev, but I do kinda like this show so far, the chief of surgery is a jerk and needs to go he cant even cut a piece of fruit, the greenest intern on greys is a better surgeon than him