Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Game Changers

The early history of Hip hop; Berry Gordy, the man known for inventing Motown; Nichelle Nichols's activism both on and off the TV screen.

Retellings by: Questlove on the history of hip hop; Carl Tart on Berry Gordy; and Ashley Nicole Black on Nichelle Nichols.

Starring; Miles Brown as Grand Wizzard Theodore; Raven Symone as Nichelle Nichols; Method Man as Grandmaster Flash; Tymberlee Hill as Diana Ross; O'Shea Jackson Jr. as DJ Kool Herc; Brian Tyree Henry as Berry Gordy; Eris Baker as Cindy Campbell; and Jaleel White as Martin Luther King Jr.

That look that Berry Gordy gave the camera after Diana Ross rejected him was so so good and so so funny.

I learned a lot about Star Trek, I knew it had the first interracial kiss but I didn't know it had happened that way or that MLK Jr was a fan. Also didn't know that Nichelle Nichols had recruited so many people for NASA.

I'm really looking forward to next week!

This has to be in the top 5 if not #1. Good, funny narrators that weren't sloppy, and had a lot of dialogue for the actors to play off. I knew about the story of Nichols, but they played it so great. I didn't know Shatner ruined the non kiss take though. 

I didn't know how scratching was invented, and Gordy was hilarious through out. 

• Love 1

This was my favorite episode in a while, probably because the narrators didn't seem like sloppy messes who aren't funny (I'm looking at Doug Jones and Duncan Trussell and kind of Nick Rutherford). Derek Waters seemed less sloppy, too.

I honestly think my favorite parts were when Derek broke out the elementary school music class staple Ta Ta TeeTee Ta TeeTee Ta Rest to Questlove and how broadly influential Nichelle Nichols was.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Also didn't know that Nichelle Nichols had recruited so many people for NASA.

"She was the first black lady to go to space for fake and recruited the first black lady to go to space for real."

No, I didn't get a bit emotional at that, why do you ask?