Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: A Wrestler Named Goldberg

• Start Topic

Murray and Pops convince Barry to come up with an elaborate lie about him joining the wrestling team so an overprotective Beverly is duped. When the truth comes out and backfires, Beverly takes matters into her own hands. Meanwhile, Adam convinces Erica to take him to the local premiere of "Return of the Jedi" but she flakes to hang out with her friends. When Erica sees his disappointment, she makes good on her original promise with a plan.

Episode Promo: 

I agree @Kromm and as someone who got to see Return of the Jedi the weekend it opened this episode resonated with me so much. I love that Erica always comes through for her brothers in the end.

• Love 1

I agree @Kromm and as someone who got to see Return of the Jedi the weekend it opened this episode resonated with me so much. I love that Erica always comes through for her brothers in the end.

I had that moment with The Empire Strikes Back--I was just a kid but had pestered my parents so much in the weeks before that they gave in and I got to wait in line at a REALLY good theater for about 3 hours to get into the very first showing.  The whole idea that anyone would even wait hours to see a movie was... new... at the time and I don't even recall how I came to the conclusion that it was even necessary to go that early... but I did... and we did indeed get into that first show.

(edited)

You know watching tonight's episode it REALLY occurred to me for the first time how much Troy Gentile and Jeff Garlin look alike.  It makes the casting even better.

Actually, George Segal and Wendi McLendon-Covey match pretty well too.

On a totally different subject, Thomas Lennon as the Star Wars Nerd on the Tauntaun?  Hee.

1QjBmqz.jpg

And Bev's stories about all her friend's mangled kids?  Brilliant!  "Just a head!"  I practically pissed myself.

Edited by Kromm

I too cracked up when she said his head popped right off. Beverly's stories reminded me of an aunt of mine, who had a friend who died of pretty much every illness known to man. You could mention that your toe hurt and, without fail, she knew someone who died from it. It got to the point that it became a running joke in our family that all her friends were dead.

Another adorable, well-written episode. I look forward to S2 and its new timeslot on Wednesday nights @ 8:30. If the show keeps up this quality of writing, I expect it becomes ABC's next breakout comedy, if not just a solid performer.

• Love 1

I had several LOL moments and loved the whole Star Wars storyline. I waited in line for both sequels and saw Star Wars in the theater countless times.

It would have been really awesome if Adams poster had been Revenge of the Jedi.

I loved the Thomas Lennon cameo - I guess Wendi is asking her friends to drop by!

"Why can't I be immersed in your lives?" Oh, Beverly. Sometimes I really get you as a fellow mom with two sons. I have to remember that they really don't want me around as much I want to be around them.

• Love 1

I recently watched an entire 2 day marathon of this show On Demand and online and it is now my new sitcom CRACK!!!!!! I was never into Star Wars but I still loved this episode - and all the other ones! I love how the episodes are based on actual home movie footage and they show it at the end of every episode. I could wax poetic about how much I love each and every character, but I'm too busy re-watching the marathon again :D

• Love 4