Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

I saw that picture on the front page and I was like, when was Debra Messing on Seinfeld? Then I read the caption.

Edited by festivus
Just looked her up and she was on Seinfeld. lol.
  • Love 1

love that party game scene, and love that it became a running joke, how competitive Will & Grace are and how good they are at that game together. I love how it illuminates how well they know one another and can play off one another with shorthand comments. It's so great.

About the flirting scene at the beginning... I don't know, I don't think it's all that weird or as if they were trying to play it as setup for a big twist. I felt like it simply showed how they have this unique relationship where even though one is gay and one is straight, they are close enough to joke around by flirting with one another, which can be silly fun because they both know they don't mean it and it's not going anywhere. (Though it does gain an extra layer of complication -- SPOILER ALERT! -- once we find out that at one time Grace had feelings for Will and he was so scared to come out that he proposed to her, thus unintentionally but painfully messing with her feelings.)

• Love 1

I know that every "pilot" episode has rough moments, so I apologize if this comes across as extra-harsh for episode 1, but I'm not sure somebody who is not familiar with the original run of the show is a good fit for this podcast.   It's pretty evident particularly when there's a whole segment devoted to "most foreshadowing moment" or bringing in other things that happened during different episodes in later seasons.  At first I thought I only felt that way because I have watched all the episodes, but when Kevin talks about an important episode by saying he read about it, it just highlights his lack of experience with the subject matter.  Contrast that to the Beverly Hills 90210 podcasts where both hosts are drawing connections (or throwing shade :) ) based on earlier or later events, and I feel like I'm missing something.

If this were just a straight re-watch of the show episode-by-episode, then that sort of knowledge isn't important, but to make talking about the show as a whole a feature of the podcast seems like a strange choice when one of the hosts has to say multiple times that he hasn't seen all the episodes.  

• Love 2
On 11/11/2017 at 5:36 AM, rwgrab said:

I know that every "pilot" episode has rough moments, so I apologize if this comes across as extra-harsh for episode 1, but I'm not sure somebody who is not familiar with the original run of the show is a good fit for this podcast.   It's pretty evident particularly when there's a whole segment devoted to "most foreshadowing moment" or bringing in other things that happened during different episodes in later seasons.  At first I thought I only felt that way because I have watched all the episodes, but when Kevin talks about an important episode by saying he read about it, it just highlights his lack of experience with the subject matter.  Contrast that to the Beverly Hills 90210 podcasts where both hosts are drawing connections (or throwing shade :) ) based on earlier or later events, and I feel like I'm missing something.

If this were just a straight re-watch of the show episode-by-episode, then that sort of knowledge isn't important, but to make talking about the show as a whole a feature of the podcast seems like a strange choice when one of the hosts has to say multiple times that he hasn't seen all the episodes.  

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and obviously I'm not going to try to argue anyone into listening who doesn't want to, but to answer your points: (a) I've seen all the episodes maaaaaaaany times, so it's not like we're both coming into it fresh; (b) with the first eight seasons newly available on Hulu, there are probably listeners who are watching it for the first time too; and (c) given the Season 9 premiere retcon, what is and is not foreshadowing is more debatable than it would be if the show's producers hadn't tried to throw out whole past storylines. YMMV and if you're that rankled we'll just see you for Season 9 and eventually 10!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Tara Ariano said:

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and obviously I'm not going to try to argue anyone into listening who doesn't want to, but to answer your points: (a) I've seen all the episodes maaaaaaaany times, so it's not like we're both coming into it fresh; (b) with the first eight seasons newly available on Hulu, there are probably listeners who are watching it for the first time too; and (c) given the Season 9 premiere retcon, what is and is not foreshadowing is more debatable than it would be if the show's producers hadn't tried to throw out whole past storylines. YMMV and if you're that rankled we'll just see you for Season 9 and eventually 10!

Thanks for the response, and I appreciate your take on it.  I did think about point (b) and seeing how somebody watching for the first time in 2017 might come to some of the same conclusions as Kevin.  That could definitely be valuable for some listeners for sure.

3 hours ago, rwgrab said:

Thanks for the response, and I appreciate your take on it.  I did think about point (b) and seeing how somebody watching for the first time in 2017 might come to some of the same conclusions as Kevin.  That could definitely be valuable for some listeners for sure.

:)

6 hours ago, wookiee cookiee said:

Just FYI, I just finished all the seasons on Hulu and for some reason the finale is in the Extras section instead of with the episodes. It took me a while to find it. 

Probably because the finale is no longer considered canon because the showrunners didn't want to deal with its repercussions when they launched the reboot.