Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: Scandal's Wild Ride

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from Scandal's first two and a half seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for episode topics, character topics and other places for show-related talk.

As many others have mentioned in comments about specific episodes this season, I am really missing the 1st season set-up of getting a client and handling a case in each episode. It was much more interesting. If season 4 sticks with the season-long political intrigue/terrorism plot, I may have to give up on the show.

• Love 4

This show used to be so good.  Now it's just gotten nutso.  I got into Scandal during early season 2, and went back to watch some season 1 episodes (altho i missed the Amanda Tanner stuff).  When the election fraud thing came out, I was so shocked, i got chills.  It was that compelling!  But, when Fitz killed Verna Thornton, i stopped watching.  How preposterous!  (Granted [no pun intended!], she did try to assassinate him.) Of course, in comparison to what's transpired since then, a sitting President murdering a Supreme Court Justice seems tame.

But I love me some Joe Morton, so have been on binge-watching the last few days.  Man, the show really went downhill the second half of this season.  Now it's all B613 with its torture and murders.  It makes me wonder what goes on the writers' room.

The show really needs some fresh ideas and interesting characters. 

• Love 2

I think the first half of season 2 was the best the show was.  It had hit its stride more than the first season, had cases, and while unbelieveable in many ways, was not completely ludicrous (see Season 3, last 3 episodes particularly).  The show has really become a shell of itself.  The B613 stuff dragged it down, was completely unrealistic, and was inconsistent.  It was just poorly written overall.

Most of the time I laughed at the B613 stuff. It felt like the writers were trolling the audience with that nonsense.

And don't get me started on the tiresome Fitz/Olivia romance. I know the show and the writers think it's the height of sexiness to have a man degrading both his girlfriend and his wife, but I promise them it's not.

• Love 4

I'm home sick today so I decided to re-watch some finales just to get myself ready for the new season. I'd forgotten how ridiculous the show became last season. I hope we can veer away from Black Alias because I'm not sure I can handle another season of it.

Edited by marceline
I hope we can veer away from Black Alias because I'm not sure I can handle another season of it.

I feel the same way. I know procedurals are all over TV, but this show worked best for me when Olivia & Co. handled a case of the week, with periodic interruptions for White House intrigue. That was a hell of a lot more plausible - not to mention sustainable - than the writers trying to top themselves every week with B613 hijinks.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

Didn't Joe Morton (PopeDaddy) get an Emmy? I'm not sure I wasn't paying much attention. If he did I doubt he'll be done on the show.

Is he on contract? Joe Morton seems to be one of those actors who goes from guest role to guest role. It's a shame and mystery the man hasn't been given his own show. Of course the way they left things he'll obviously be a big part of the beginning of the season.

• Love 1

And don't get me started on the tiresome Fitz/Olivia romance. I know the show and the writers think it's the height of sexiness to have a man degrading both his girlfriend and his wife, but I promise them it's not.

I keep hoping that all this leads to Olivia and Mellie realizing what a worthless piece of ish Fitz is as they walk away from him forever, but I doubt it. This is why I root for Olivia and Jake, anybody but Fitz will do at this point.

• Love 3

Most of the time I laughed at the B613 stuff. It felt like the writers were trolling the audience with that nonsense.

The sad part is, this show is produced by a woman.

I mean, seriously? As someone brought up in the Fitz thread, he blames everyone and everything for his decisions and unhappiness: he blames his father for marrying Mellie and pushing him into politics his affair with Olivia on Mellie's lack of affection*, and his affair with Amanda on Olivia's leaving. Jellyfish have more spine than he at this point.

*which started, what, fiftten years before he met Olivia? He can't be blamed for not knowing exactly why that happened, but he could have walked away and in the process kill any chance of the political career he claims he never wanted. Two birds with one pair.

• Love 3

Is he on contract? Joe Morton seems to be one of those actors who goes from guest role to guest role. It's a shame and mystery the man hasn't been given his own show. Of course the way they left things he'll obviously be a big part of the beginning of the season.

He wasn't on contract for season 3, which is why he was a "guest' and not a regular.  I read on one of the boards here that he was working on another pilot, so he may not be available for season 4.  He's always been pretty much in demand, and I'm sure his Emmy win has helped.