Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: A Deadly Inheritance

Kelly and her team head to Oregon to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a man who vanished from his home without a trace; with seven suspects and missing gold coins, serious questions linger about what happened to Glenn Pennie.

Tough case. In a way I'm surprised that they took on this case since it didn't seem likely to be one they could make any headway on. And they didn't.

Sure, all signs point to Dale, but they are a mile away form an indictment, much less a conviction. For example, if Dale stole the coins, he'd have sold them, even if he got pennies on the dollar there would be some kind of trail unless he put the money under his mattress.  And he doesn't seem sophisticated enough to to hide the money.   But for him to blame his niece for the murder says all you need to know about Dale's character. 

• Love 3

This was a super interesting case.  So much intrigue! But yeah,  really the only thing they accomplished positively was to rule out 4 of the 7 suspects. Maybe the OR crew can get the incarcerated guy's lawyer and get an interview. Maybe they can establish how Susan got the coins she did.(And not for nothing, how is she the only witness to think Dale is a sweetheart? That seems squirrelly...) I suppose that if the dad had enough records about his collection, they might have a way to track them through auction houses or something, but beyond the ones Susan sold to gamble, maybe that was a dead end too.

That was something! It took me a half hour just to understand the whole case and untangle the web of suspects. Dale's son is a peach. I've had to interview a couple of suspects like him (never over the phone though). I'd just stare at them until they blow out, then they would usually tell me something.

They aren't going to get anywhere with the case until a body shows up and even then I'm not sure. Susan will be the one to turn on Dale and she's not even close to doing that at this point.

• Love 1

What a group this was.  What a case. 

It's like something out of Fargo on FX.  As a matter of fact, this case WAS similar to last season of Fargo.  On Fargo, two brothers end up fighting over the last of a rare stamp collection that one of the brothers used to get rich.  The brother trying to get the rare stamp had a girlfriend/fiancé who was an interesting character too.

• Love 1

Dale Pennie's common law wife admitted that she sold $31,000 worth of coins.  In order to determine what her capital gains or loss should be recorded on her tax return she would need receipts from the person or coin shop she purchased them from.  If she cannot produce them, then they probably were stolen.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, attica said:

And what ever happened to the dad's real estate? Was it ever sold? Who got the money? 

They wouldn't hold onto the estate just because Glenn was missing; they would sell it and hold the proceeds until a certain  amount of time had passed, then declare Glenn dead and divide it between Christine and Dale. I don't know what that time frame is in Oregon. Maybe that is why they call in the show to try and figure out what happened to Glenn.

• Love 1

Dean the son is the killer. Listen to his testimony. He states, Glenn was buried next to his truck and then he states, the brother Dale made statements about him stinking so they threw lime on top of him.  LISTEN to the Dales' testimony inwhich he taunts Kelly with the question where is his 54 Ford truck". He telling them but they missing it. The common law wife was stealing coins from Glenn, the brother Dean hated him so he got the messed up step son Dean to help in the murder and disposing of the body to only find out they wasnt going to inherit anything because of his daughter. What happened to the gold? All that the wife didn't steal and gamble away the brother stole from her and she is too scared and guilty to open her mouth.

Edited by Pashion
  • Love 1

Just watched this and Pashion, I reckon you’re on the money. A week simply wasn’t long enough to do this case justice and everything felt a little too rushed. Love to see Netflix take this on as the characters are all very interesting and there’s not one ounce of truth in anything anyone’s saying.

Was there any ever other info about the ford truck?