Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man (1994) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ah Jameson. The boss we all loved to hate.

I think one of the greatest pleasures being Spiderman gave Peter was the ability to insult him whenever he wanted. Gave us some of the best comedic moments of the whole series. Like when they were handcuffed together...or forced to work together to free Robbie when he was framed for a crime -- i.e. When Jameson donned his old detective persona "Jigsaw Jameson". Aw ma, I'm cracking up just remembering it!

But Jameson did have his good points too. He loved his son, was fiercely loyal to Robbie, and while he hated Spiderman, he did care about Peter Parker.

• Love 1

Yay! It's up!

What I loved about this show was that the characters looked just like the strip! Well, except for Peter. And who'da thunk that dweeb from Day by Day, Christopher Daniel Barnes would make an awesome Peter/Spidey? Excellent voice cast too!

• Love 1

Stan Lee cameo was awesome. But what I really loved was the huge crossover event where Spiderman had to form a team to save another planet, getting the Fantastic Four, Captain America, Black Cat, Storm from the X-Men, and a bunch of others.

Oh, and the one with War Machine and Iron Man coming to fight Venom and Carnage. That was my first experience with Iron Man.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yay! It's up!

What I loved about this show was that the characters looked just like the strip! Well, except for Peter. And who'da thunk that dweeb from Day by Day, Christopher Daniel Barnes would make an awesome Peter/Spidey? Excellent voice cast too!

I'm ashamed to admit that I never knew Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid and Spiderman were the same actor.

Then one day I watched The Brady Bunch Movie, and when Greg Brady opened his mouth, I gasped, "SPIDERMAN?!"

Anyway, this was my OG Spiderman, the one that I would measure against all the movies and other shows to come. And IMHO, not one of them could surpass it.

• Love 2

Funny enough, the We Hate Movies guys talked about an episode of this show on their Patreon.  "Enter the Punisher" was episode, and they talked about how the show couldn't have Dr. Morbius drink blood but rather "plasma" through his hands, how the Punisher sounded like we was from Chicago (turns out his voice actor really is from there), the grossness of Spider-Man growing six arms, and how inconsistent the people of New York are in how they view Spidey in comparison to other Marvel superheroes.

• Love 1

Now THIS was the real MJ. A smart, fun, confident, red-headed bombshell that was nobody's prize or damsel in distress. How many women have the moxie to go up to a blind date and declare that they've hit the jackpot?

And no matter how many times that she and Peter were on the outs because he "bailed" on her, she still cared about him, still had the maturity to remain friends with him. She knew deep down that, whatever his faults, he was a keeper.

God, I shipped them so hard.

Unfortunately, this was the first show that taught me just how much it sucks to be a shipper.

I was SO PISSED that after it seemed like she and Peter were finally happy -- being married, knowing he was Spiderman, and working together in a healthy, adult relationship-- it was revealed that she was a fucking clone and the real MJ was still lost on a wormhole. And the series ended before he actually got to find her.

I swear to God, it's like the writers are so determined to ruin them couple in every incarnation: the movies, the shows, and the comics. But at least we always have the "Renew Your Vows" A/U comics, where they are an awesome crime fighting  family.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

......what I really loved was the huge crossover event where Spider-man had to form a team to save another planet, getting the Fantastic Four, Captain America, Black Cat, Storm from the X-Men, and a bunch of others.

The "Secret Wars" story-arc was the next to last story-arc of the series (the last being the "Spider-Verse" team up, where he teamed up with Scarlett Spider and the other Web Warriors).

They decided that they wanted at least one member from all of the other Marvel cartoons that were on TV then.

Iron Man also appeared in this crossover, alongside Storm, and The FF.

They wanted Hulk as well, but due to complications, they had to substitute The Lizard instead.

(So The Lizard shows up, rampaging through the citadel, they stop him, strap him to a machine, and bring out his smart mind, but he still has to fight to maintain control;

now that you mention it, that does sound more like somebody else we know)

And as for Cap, he was going to get his own cartoon as well, but once again, complications.

Several years later, Marvel would do it again by having everyone show up near the end of Ultimate Spider-Man

(The Avengers, The Agents of S.M.A.S.H., etc.)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Stan Lee cameo was awesome. But what I really loved was the huge crossover event where Spiderman had to form a team to save another planet, getting the Fantastic Four, Captain America, Black Cat, Storm from the X-Men, and a bunch of others.

Oh, and the one with War Machine and Iron Man coming to fight Venom and Carnage. That was my first experience with Iron Man.

I totally FORGOT about Cap! How could I do that???? And FUCK IT ALL! The series isn't available to stream anywhere, nor is it available for purchase! It's broken up by arcs, but I'd have to go to imdb, print out ALL the episodes and try to figure the whole thing out. It would FIGURE that the one I like BEST and was the comic come to life, would be the one that I can't get.

• Love 2

Jameson: I still won't rest until you've been unmasked and eliminated.

Spider-Man: Fair enough, pickle-puss. And I won't rest until you shave that stupid mustache, so we're even! Oh, and fuzz-head? Thanks for saving my life.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Jameson: I still won't rest until you've been unmasked and eliminated.

Spider-Man: Fair enough, pickle-puss. And I won't rest until you shave that stupid mustache, so we're even! Oh, and fuzz-head? Thanks for saving my life.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA! If I were on my phone, this would be filled with all the laughing with tears and evuhl smilies! But alas, I can't because my data is just about ending, so I can't.

Hey! Do we have a topic for the voice talent? I'll go create one if we don't.

• Love 2

We talked briefly how Christopher Daniel Barnes was not only Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid, but the dweeb from Day by Day AND Greg Brady in the Brady Bunch movies! Ed Asner, who voiced J.J. Jameson, was not only Lou Grant, but he was also Hudson from Gargoyles, Granny Goodness from Superman: The Animated Series, AND Dagget, the crime lord from Batman: The Animated Series!

Or that Kingpin was voiced by Rosco Lee Brown?!!! I knew his voice from the times he was on Law & Order, and a show that shall not be named, as well as a character from Batman: The Animated Series!

I need to go back and see what other shows/movies/toons the rest of the cast were from!

• Love 1
(edited)

Another hilarious moment with Jameson was in the wedding episode, where he and the Kingpin keep trying to one-up each other by coming up with the most expensive wedding gift for Peter and Jameson takes the cake by paying for the whole wedding (although he later makes it clear Peter will work off what he owes him).

And meanwhile Peter is just sitting there, trying to keep a straight face over the fact that two of Spider-Man's worst enemies are giving him and MJ a luxury wedding. ???????

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Another hilarious moment with Jameson was in the wedding episode, where he and the Kingpin keep trying to one-up each other by coming up with the most expensive wedding gift for Peter and Jameson takes the cake by paying for the whole wedding (although he later makes it clear Pweter will work off what he owes him).

And meanwhile Peter is just sitting there, trying to keep a straight face over the fact that two of Spider-Man's worst enemies are giving him and MJ a luxury wedding. ???????

I think you mean PEter, right? ????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I totally FORGOT about Cap! How could I do that???? And FUCK IT ALL! The series isn't available to stream anywhere, nor is it available for purchase! It's broken up by arcs, but I'd have to go to imdb, print out ALL the episodes and try to figure the whole thing out. It would FIGURE that the one I like BEST and was the comic come to life, would be the one that I can't get.

If it helps, there are clips on YouTube.

• Love 1

The cartoon did a much better job with Eddie Brock/Venom than the movies ever did.

I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to mention Harry Osbourne in this thread since he wasn't really a bad guy before he went nuts and became Goblin 2, but this version was much more sympathetic as well. 

• Love 2

Spider-Man: Blind dates are like the lottery. The odds are so stacked against you, you're nuts if you expect to ever hit the jackpot.

(Later at the end of the episode, when Peter finally meets his blind date)

Mary Jane: Let's face it, tiger: you've just hit the jackpot!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

Spider-Man: Blind dates are like the lottery. The odds are so stacked against you, you're nuts if you expect to ever hit the jackpot.

(Later at the end of the episode, when Peter finally meets his blind date)

Mary Jane: Let's face it, tiger: you've just hit the jackpot!

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️her response!!! Truly, this was MJ from the strip come to life!!!

• Love 2

They really got Mysterio right on this series. He was always my favorite Spider-Man villain, but they put the origin, motivation and later his exit very well. I mean, they brought the Pirate Automatons into the series. That was a win for me. They even had the Big Wheel and the Spot make sense on this show, of course I always had a soft spot for The Big Wheel. However, I really wish they would have brought Sandman in since they were able to get Electro in before the series ended. 

Tombstone:  "I'm going to take your head off."

Swings bat at Spider-Man who takes it right from him.

Spider-Man: "What have I told you about playing with this in the house young man?"

• Love 2

This might not be popular opinion, but when Tim Russ did the voice of the Powler. I don't know how, but the man slipped between street cred and vulnerable perfectly. Now, I always enjoyed his acting from Roots to Star Trek, but I don't know why, but he did very well. 

• Love 1
On 7/25/2017 at 5:39 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Now THIS was the real MJ. A smart, fun, confident, red-headed bombshell that was nobody's prize or damsel in distress. How many women have the moxie to go up to a blind date and declare that they've hit the jackpot?

And no matter how many times that she and Peter were on the outs because he "bailed" on her, she still cared about him, still had the maturity to remain friends with him. She knew deep down that, whatever his faults, he was a keeper.

God, I shipped them so hard.

Unfortunately, this was the first show that taught me just how much it sucks to be a shipper.

I was SO PISSED that after it seemed like she and Peter were finally happy -- being married, knowing he was Spiderman, and working together in a healthy, adult relationship-- it was revealed that she was a fucking clone and the real MJ was still lost on a wormhole. And the series ended before he actually got to find her.

I swear to God, it's like the writers are so determined to ruin them couple in every incarnation: the movies, the shows, and the comics. But at least we always have the "Renew Your Vows" A/U comics, where they are an awesome crime fighting  family.

Yes, Yes and Yes. Something that I did like out of Spider-Man Unlimited that was set after the series. They had MJ and Peter together, but then of course put Pete on Counter Earth away from her. Man, I am happy we have RYV too. 

• Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 11:01 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Funny enough, the We Hate Movies guys talked about an episode of this show on their Patreon.  "Enter the Punisher" was episode, and they talked about how the show couldn't have Dr. Morbius drink blood but rather "plasma" through his hands, how the Punisher sounded like we was from Chicago (turns out his voice actor really is from there), the grossness of Spider-Man growing six arms, and how inconsistent the people of New York are in how they view Spidey in comparison to other Marvel superheroes.

It was funny because I had gotten back into comics after almost 7 years due to this series, and when they did that with Morbius and Punisher I was like: "Well, how else were they going to pull this off, it's a kids show?" I did get a kick out of Frank Castle sounding like he was the North Side. 

• Love 1

Clone Mary Jane -- before we knew she was a clone, anyway -- was pretty badass. I love the episode where after Peter reveals his identity to her and they get engaged, he gets into a sewer battle with Dr. Connors/Lizard and Peter expects her to stay out of it and keep safe. MJ, of course, is all, "Yeah, that's not gonna happen" and promptly teams up with Doctor Connors's wife and her friend Deb, and all three of them save both their butts.

And at the end, MJ declares that if anyone can handle being Spider-Man's wife, it's her.

Because it can never be said enough: damn the comics, damn Dan Slott, and damn this show.

• Love 2

In light of Ed Asner’s passing, let us have a moment of silence for JJ “Picklepuss” Jameson. He was a blowhard jerk, but he had his moments, like going out of his way to clear Robbie’s name or secretly paying for Matt Murdock to be Peter’s lawyer. And letting Peter and MJ borrow the Daily Bugle van for their honeymoon.

Edited by Spartan Girl

My main reason for this post is that a guy named Ace Vane has been goofing on the series for the past few years. This is In Love With Mary Jane. Trust me, it's hilarious. Here's the playlist:

Not much else to add. I have two questions, though.

1. Is the theme music as big an earworm as X-Men? I think it is.
  2. Has Morbius been in any other animated Spider-Man series besides this one? I know that the version from this series was nerfed, especially how he drains people with his fingertipes.
(edited)

I can't tell whether or not this series was cel animated or digitally colored. I've seen animation cells for it online, but the show itself doesn't have the same visual artifacts typically seen in programs that utilize that method. Same thing applies for the fact that they used CGI backgrounds from time to time. 

Edited by King of TV