Type keyword(s) to search

West Wing Elimination Game

Donna and Cliff

Donna and Josh - so dragged out. So much weirdness at different times. Donna was so petulant in Season 6. The hook-up seemed like fan-service.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh and Donna are out! Will and Kate went with them.

Keep voting against two. :)

1. Jed and Abby Bartlet

2. Charlie Young and Zoey Barlet

3. CJ Cregg and Danny Concannon

7. Josh Lyman and Amy Gardner

8. Matt and Helen Santos

9. CJ Cregg and Simon Donovan

10. Donna and Cliff

12. Sam Seaborn and Ainsley Hayes

13. Josh Lyman and Joey Lucas

14. Leo and Jordan Kendall

18. CJ and Toby

Donna and Cliff, CJ and Danny, and Charlie and Zoey are gone.

Keep voting against two. :)

1. Jed and Abby Bartlet

7. Josh Lyman and Amy Gardner

8. Matt and Helen Santos

9. CJ Cregg and Simon Donovan

13. Josh Lyman and Joey Lucas

18. CJ and Toby

Ouch, @deaja, you just voted against two of the whopping four relationships I actually like.

C.J. and Simon

Ainsley and Sam - I don't like Ainsley, so that certainly doesn't help.  But, fundamentally, I don't like "political opposites attract" storylines; I have no idea how you can be attracted (other than physically) to someone whose concept of what's right, what's important, how society should be governed, and how people should interact is the opposite of yours at pretty much every turn.

CJ and Toby, CJ and Simon and Josh and Amy are gone!

Drop to voting for one!

1. Jed and Abby Bartlet

8. Matt and Helen Santos

Well, due to a tie, we have eliminated Leo and Jordan as well as Sam and Ainsley.

We are down to a Presidential couple.  Pick one TO WIN.

1) The Bartlets

2) The Santos

Much as Abby gets on my nerves, I like her and Jed together a lot. I like the Santos' relationship too, but to me it is not central to the show the way the Bartlet's relationship is. 

BARTLET FOR AMERICA.  Or for the win in this game, whatever. :)

The Bartlets

Quite obviously, since I never saw the Santoses, but I strongly suspect they'd be my pick even if I had; I adore their relationship.

My whopping four likes from the entire list were:

C.J. and Toby

Abbey and Jed

Joey Lucas and Josh

Jordan Kendall and Leo (I loved their chemistry and interaction, and really wish there'd been a reason to keep her around a little more)

Well, maybe four and a half, as there was a fair bit I liked about Josh and Amy.

I vote for The Bartlets. I love them. I can't believe that Stockard Channing and Martin Sheen just met right before The State Dinner shot. They had the chemistry of an old married couple still deeply in love. I actually love them in spite of Jed being a flawed husband who takes Abbey for granted. I side with Abbey in most of their fights. Abbey's flaws really come out when she takes her hurt at Jed's insensitivity and thoughtlessness out on the staff. However, their fights are interesting and well-acted. I buy Jed/Abbey as always in love and I like/love both characters. I liked Matt/Helen too and heck, Matt seemed like a better husband. However, they're bland in their perfection compared to Jed/Abbey. 

I liked more couples than most. I would say I mostly thought the following also worked mostly:

CJ/Toby

Leo/Jordan

Josh/Joey

Josh/Amy

Sam/Ainsley 

Toby/Andi 

Leo/Annabeth

The following were VERY short-term and not really full-on couples but they made a great point in their limited time. It was a well-executed short story instead of a true ship. 

Sam/Lisa

Joey/Al Kiefer

Leo/Jenny 

I had complex feelings about the following:

CJ/Simon: They were pleasant to watch, until the end. Allison Janney and Mark Harmon had GREAT chemistry and looked amazing together. The bicker-y banter was cute. On first watch, I was really kept in suspense that CJ was in danger. It haunted my 7th grade dreams for FOUR WEEKS. However, that element goes away by the time it's resolved so we're just left with a silly storyline masquerading as a ship. But, it's still fun on rewatch. 

CJ/Danny: This is almost the opposite in the sense that it's not exactly *pleasant*. Their dynamic is squicky and gross most of the time. Mostly, that's on Danny refusing to take no for an answer and treating his journalistic profession as a way to punish the lady for not agreeing to go out with him or show off his strength as a mate or something and at the end of the show, being a completely condescending jerk because CJ considered her career first. Sometimes, it's on CJ for taking Danny's favors and attraction for granted and all but demanding special treatment from the Washington Post because of that and then ultimately, giving into Danny's controlling possessiveness at the end of the show in such a disappointing move for such an amazing, strong woman. Also, Tim Busfield is not attractive IMO. HOWEVER, it *is* interesting. The squicky dynamic does feel baked into the show and called out. The ship is part and parcel of interesting storylines and EPIC banter. I don't think Busfield is handsome but he's an interesting and talented actor and he and AJ had good fiery chemistry. It works as a dark ship. I could think of it as a dark ship if not for the fluffy ending.

Josh/Donna: Yes. it's cute. Janel Monoloey is an appealing, cute actress and Brad Whitford is out and out awesome. They're funny together. The ship is important and feels like a long-term grounding force for the series. But MAN, I feel like it's about as squicky as CJ/Danny but I can't even squint and see it as a dark ship. I can see Donna having a crush on her powerful but boyish boss who gave her a break- but I feel like more time with Josh should dissipate that Lemon Lyman feelings. And I don't see Josh, a power-dater, having feelings for someone like Donna. Plus, the end of the show tried to eliminate the squickiness by having Donna grow out of her subordinate role but they mainly just added some silly weird plotting to the ship. 

And the winner of "Best Romantic Couple" goes to.....

Jed and Abby Bartlet!!!

(I was pretty sure this would be the case before the game started!)

So next up will be friendships. Let's make a list!

To start us off:

1) Jed and Leo

2) Abby and Leo

3) Josh and Toby

4) Josh and Sam

5) Josh and CJ

6) Toby and Sam

7) Toby and CJ

8) CJ and Donna

9) Charlie and Josh

10) Charlie and Toby

11) Charlie and CJ

12) Jed and Mrs. Landingham

13) Will and Donna

14) Kate and CJ

Possible friendship list additions:
Charlie and Mrs. Landingham?
Leo and Fitz?
Leo and Margaret?

It's interesting that we never really saw any of the staff have friendships to speak of outside the confines of the WH.  Perhaps only Abby, who did have friends from the world of medicine.  

Will and CJ: The friendship cooled but their bonding was very cute in S4. 

CJ and Sam: I really like their low key cute bond contrasted with Josh and Toby’s neurosis. 

CJ and Abbey: Abbey is harsh on CJ but I think that partly stems from closeness. 

Donna and Sam: Sam did describe them as friends...

Leo and Fitzgerald: although they could have been in the Romance Game. 

Amy and Abbey: Its a friendship that spanned S3 through S5

Helen and Donna: at least on Helen’s side...

Vinnick and Shelia: She has much more of a “Leo” position of closeness and power then Josh had with Santos. 

I’m undecided on this point. It’s a paternal/maternal relationship but there’s SO much closeness between Charlie and Mrs. Landingham and Jed and Charlie/CJ/Josh/Sam to a lesser extent. I also feel like Jed and Toby can be Friendship and Adversarial. 

We have 25, so I think that's enough to start.  There are a couple that I think aren't truly a friendship, but we'll see what the game decides!

Start with voting against 3.

1) Jed and Leo

2) Abby and Leo

3) Josh and Toby

4) Josh and Sam

5) Josh and CJ

6) Toby and Sam

7) Toby and CJ

8) CJ and Donna

9) Charlie and Josh

10) Charlie and Toby

11) Charlie and CJ

13) Will and Donna

14) Kate and CJ

15) Fitz and Nancy

16) Charlie and Mrs. Landingham

17) Leo and Fitz

18) Leo and Margaret

19) CJ and Sam

20) Donna and Sam

21) Helen and Donna

22) Arnie Vinnick and Sheila

23) Amy and Abby

24) Will and CJ

25) Ainsley and Sam

Amy and Abby - I dislike them individually; I don't want them together!

Helen and Donna - not my favorite characters apart or together

Will and Donna - blah

Helen/Donna: I thought Helen was reaching out to Donna but Donna was climbing. 

Will/Donna: I didn’t see it as a friendship on either side. Will just had a purely professional bland relationship with her. Donna seemed actively condescending Of Will, especially when Santos started to take over Russell. I’m no Will fan but I hate Donna throwing him under the bus in The Ticket. 

JOSH Yeah, it does. Heady stuff. How's Will?

DONNA Well, back in the VP's office. He wanders around a lot like a guy who can't find his glasses. 

Donna/Sam: It was sweet that Sam announced her as his friend in CA and fired that guy on his team for calling her stupid but I didn’t get Friendship vibes out of them most of the time. 

Will and Donna - I only vaguely remember this, but I never liked Will and by the time he came along I was sick of Donna, so I probably didn't like it

Donna and Sam - Does not remotely read as friendship to me.  Doesn't read as anything, other she was his best friend's assistant

Arnie Vinnick and Sheila - Not a fair vote, as I don't know either character, but I'm not ready to vote for anyone else yet

On 16/10/2017 at 6:52 PM, deaja said:

Well, due to a tie, we have eliminated Leo and Jordan as well as Sam and Ainsley.

We are down to a Presidential couple.  Pick one TO WIN.

1) The Bartlets

2) The Santos

Hi. Just chipping in briefly before flying out again for the second leg of my hols. 

Am pleased the Bartlets won because as others here have already said they're a perfect match for each other, and had the highs and lows, the good times and the not-so-good. So much so that I reckon they would make a perfect couple in real life!

The Santos' were okay, but rather bland. But then again we really didn't get that much time to get to know them. Helen was a little snooty and a little irritating at times, but she made some valid points during the campaigns, and certainly gave Matt some reality-checks at times too, 

Special mention to Leo/Jordan - I do so wished their relationship had carried on throughout the rest of the show because for me it was perfect match. I never bought the Leo/Annabeth thing at all, and the Leo/Jenny thing just fizzled out into nothing. But I loved Leo being with Jordan, especially that moment when she accepts his dinner invite. I think I punched the air and clapped wildly when she did that!

:)

Edited by Zola

Will and Donna, Helen and Donna, and Donna and Sam are gone! (Apparently, Donna does not build many strong friendships in our eyes!)

Keep voting against three.

1) Jed and Leo

2) Abby and Leo

3) Josh and Toby

4) Josh and Sam

5) Josh and CJ

6) Toby and Sam

7) Toby and CJ

8) CJ and Donna

9) Charlie and Josh

10) Charlie and Toby

11) Charlie and CJ

14) Kate and CJ

15) Fitz and Nancy

17) Leo and Fitz

18) Leo and Margaret

19) CJ and Sam

23) Amy and Abby

24) Will and CJ

25) Ainsley and Sam

CJ/Donna: Again, I see CJ reaching out for friendship but not so much Donna. Their No Exit conversation was interesting but I’m still sore about fannish reaction from Donna-Stans back in the day acting like CJ was the biggest bitch in the world to say what she said and poor Donna is a victim of everyone. Even though I thought they were both inappropriate (not the least of which because they weren’t close enough for tough love) but CJ had helpful intentions while Donna was picking at CJ/Ben purely out of defensiveness/vengeance. 

Will/CJ: They bonded nicely in S4 but they just dropped off contact in S5-6. In S7, CJ doesn’t treat Will nicely and I’m torn between disliking CJ’s extreme hypocrisy to suddenly take the position that the Press Secretary should be ill-informed with no power and admiring how she was punishing Will for being crappy for the last 2 seasons. It is mostly the latter. I’m a CJ stan. But that’s not friendship. 

Fitz and Nancy: I don’t see them as friends. I see their relationship as Adversarial and competitive. 

Charlie and C.J. - I don't see them as friends, and I hate that stupid prank war I'm supposed to find funny

Ainsley and Sam - for the same reasons I didn't like them as a potential couple

Vinnick and Sheila

Kate and CJ, Will and CJ, and CJ and Donna are gone.  I feel we're picking on CJ and taking away all her friends. ;)

Keep voting for three.

1) Jed and Leo

2) Abby and Leo

3) Josh and Toby

4) Josh and Sam

5) Josh and CJ

6) Toby and Sam

7) Toby and CJ

9) Charlie and Josh

10) Charlie and Toby

11) Charlie and CJ

15) Fitz and Nancy

17) Leo and Fitz

18) Leo and Margaret

19) CJ and Sam

23) Amy and Abby

25) Ainsley and Sam

Amy and Abby, Abby and Leo, and Arnie and Sheila are gone.

Vote against two.

1) Jed and Leo

3) Josh and Toby

4) Josh and Sam

5) Josh and CJ

6) Toby and Sam

7) Toby and CJ

9) Charlie and Josh

10) Charlie and Toby

11) Charlie and CJ

15) Fitz and Nancy

17) Leo and Fitz

18) Leo and Margaret

19) CJ and Sam

25) Ainsley and Sam

Boo; I like Amy and Abby and Abby and Leo.

Charlie and C.J.

Ainsley and Sam

Charlie and Mrs. Landingham - If we're voting on these relationships as friendships, which is what I'm doing, this doesn't qualify, so I'm voting for this now even though I like their interaction because most of the rest I like as friendships (which is why Leo and Margaret are next on my list).

Edited by Bastet

Charlie and CJ, Leo and Margaret, and Charlie and Mrs Landingham are gone.

Vote against two.

1) Jed and Leo

3) Josh and Toby

4) Josh and Sam

5) Josh and CJ

6) Toby and Sam

7) Toby and CJ

9) Charlie and Josh

10) Charlie and Toby

15) Fitz and Nancy

17) Leo and Fitz