Type keyword(s) to search

(edited)

A trip to the Caribbean uncovers how the island of Trinidad has turned a history of colonialism and slavery into a non-stop celebration of multicultural food, music and good times. Bourdain visits Port of Spain, a vibrant city of African, Indian, Chinese and Middle Eastern influence, where he dines on curried duck, doubles (floppy Indian bread topped with curry chickpeas, mango) and fish in tahini sauce with Trinidadians of contrasting cultures. While the Carnival lifestyle revolves around liming (hanging out) and whining (dancing), Bourdain questions the extent to which this non-stop bacchanal distracts residents from the the country’s growing list of social ills.

Note: this episode was originally supposed to air on June 18, but it was pre-empted. CNN moved the air date to June 25.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 0:23 AM, peaceknit said:

2am? That sucks! I was really looking forward to this episode.

For what it's worth my DVR is showing this as this week's episode.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

For what it's worth my DVR is showing this as this week's episode.

I See that, they made a last minute change, that's fantastic.  They ended up showing the Rome episode from last season at 2:00 a.m. 

Thankfully they're getting their act together with the pre-empted episodes.  Maybe a lot of fans complained after we had to wait an entire season to finally see one last year.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, biakbiak said:

Did this actually air? I double checked when I was looking to record the repeat and it was marked to record but my DVR didn't record this or United Shades.

It aired at least where I live. I never remember what time it is on, I just happened to be flipping through channels at the time :).

On 6/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, biakbiak said:

Did this actually air? I double checked when I was looking to record the repeat and it was marked to record but my DVR didn't record this or United Shades.

I noticed at the last minute that somehow my DVR wasn't going to record it, probably because it thought the 2:00 a.m. episode the night before which they replaced with the Rome episode from last season was the Trinidad episode and that this showing was a repeat.  They confused my DVR!  Luckily I caught it and forced it to record it.  I could have gotten it on "On Demand" anyway, though.

I already had a suspicion that things weren't as peachy as everyone claimed while watching the episode, so reading his blog confirmed that I wasn't just being some weird kooky conspiracy theorist thinking that everyone was trying to portray Trinidad in a certain light. On one hand, I can understand not wanting to go on television to say negative things about your own country, especially in light of trying to encourage tourism, but on the other hand, it felt like there were some people who either had very rose colored glasses or just in denial. 

I thought it was very revealing when the Syrian man said that the middle class used to cushion rich people like him from the poor people. My exact words after he said that were, "WOW. Just...wow." That made me suspect that the other people who kept saying that everyone gets along and everything was fine were maybe not being 100% honest about life on Trinidad. I'm not saying it's a horrible place or anything though, just that some people were trying to paint it a certain way.

• Love 1